[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the Mayan Civilization superior to Rome at its peak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: ace.png (84KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
ace.png
84KB, 2000x2000px
in terms of power

peak vs. peak

pic unrelated
>>
>>1860485
Yes. More scientifically advanced as well.
>>
>>1860496
not even close....no they weren't
>>
File: cownen.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
cownen.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
>comparing a 90's AD civilization to that of a 15th century one that still was on the level of early 1000 BC Mesoptamia
Rome, no amount of obsidian would help the barbarians.
>>
>>1860504
so your saying Rome was more advanced?
>>
>>1860504
your thinking of the AZTECS

the Mayans were a B.C civilization
>>
File: keity.jpg (54KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
keity.jpg
54KB, 600x593px
>>1860514
In terms of city building, military, hygiene, infrastructure and social order, sure why not.

But they had no chance at all to compete in garden maintenance against those mayan lawn mowers with obsidian blades.
>>
>>1860500
Yes? They had much better understanding of astronomy and architecture.
>>
>>1860533

Mayan mathematical and scientific understanding was inferior to The Greeks, which Rome had access to

Archimedes, Euclid etc.
>>
Is 1491 a good read as a starting point for learning about Mesoamerica?
>>
>>1860572
This. Memers should study science history before spouting their memes.
>>
Mayans were no where near close to Rome on an overall basis
>>
>>1860629
Its the only real literature i read on i so far so Im not very qualified to say, but I think its a really great book for that.
Here are some other books another anon recommended for after you read 1941,

Empire Of the Summer Moon
In english, If you are just starting out I recommend some of Thames and Hudsons books, like their latest editions, The Maya, The Aztec, The Incas, Mexico from Olmec to Aztecs, Chronicle of the Maya Kings and Queens: Deciphering The Dynasties of the Ancient Maya, An Illustrated Dictionary of the Gods and Symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya. Maya Cosmos is also really good, The Aztecs by Michael E Smith. And of course I recommend the Popol Vuh, if you want to go to the primary sources.1491 as well I enjoyed.
>>
>>1860876
I've read Empire of the Summer Moon, which was indeed good.

I also have a primary source of one of Cortez' crew on my nook, but haven't gotten around to reading that.
>>
>>1860485
No. Nowhere near the Romans.

>>1860496
Laughably ignorant.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.