[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books about the Scythians?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

What are some books about the Scythians?
>>
>>1860268
>scythians
>barely brown
Firaxis fucked up, big time.
>>
"Herodotus and the stories he heard from passing by merchants looking to buy giant gold digging ants in India" - By Strabo
>>
>>1860279
Thanks. It's hard to find books on Central Asia.
>>
>>1860278
Post a more realistic depiction, then
>>
>>1860268
You could try "Empire of the Steppes" by Grousset. It's rather old as far as texts go, but it might do I suppose.
>>
>>1860278
Hello cockroach.

>>1860268
I think some books on Persians and native Iranian/Iranic peoples by like Kaveh and Touraj Darayee cover some information on the Scythians and Sarmatians.
>>
File: c62.jpg (136KB, 546x700px)
c62.jpg
136KB, 546x700px
>>1860570
>>
File: IMG_9523.jpg (161KB, 1300x995px)
IMG_9523.jpg
161KB, 1300x995px
>>1860278
>Scythians were described as being blonde and are according to this mummy dummy
>>
>>1860656
>fake mumy proves that scythians were white
>>
File: Steppe Phenotypes.png (150KB, 961x1271px)
Steppe Phenotypes.png
150KB, 961x1271px
>>1860661
Bronze and Iron age Central Asians were almost Scandinavia tier white.
>>
Did Cyrus the Great realy get pwned by Tomyris our was that just a story Herodutus made up?
>>
Did Cyrus the Great really get pwned by Tomyris our was that just a story Herodutus made up?
>>
>>1860679
It's one of many stories regarding his death. Herodotus claims he heard it from a source that witnessed the battle.

Meanwhile Xenophon, whom actually fought for Persia as a greek mercenary says that he died peacefully in his sleep. Which would explain why he has a tomb in modern Iran since Scythians were known "trophy collectors".
>>
>>1860674
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1860278
I don't think there's any accounts of their racial skin color in any text. Xenophon mentions that Agesilaus, during his campaign in Asia minor, brought some Persian soldiers who his army captured and made slaves of, and humiliated them in front of his troops by having them strip down naked (as slaves were during auctions) to show their "pale" and "untoiled bodies" because they didn't work out like his soldiers did. If Scythians are closely tied to the Persians for their ethnicity, it could be said that their appearances weren't that different, and could be pale if they didn't go out in the sun often.
>>
>>1860735
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythians#Physical_appearance
>In artworks, the Scythians are portrayed exhibiting European traits. In Histories, the 5th-century Greek historian Herodotus describes the Budini of Scythia as red-haired and grey-eyed. In the 5th century BC, Greek physician Hippocrates argued that the Scythians have purron (ruddy) skin. In the 3rd century BC, the Greek poet Callimachus described the Arismapes (Arimaspi) of Scythia as fair-haired. The 2nd century BC Han Chinese envoy Zhang Qian described the Sai (Scythians) as having yellow (probably meaning hazel or green), and blue eyes. In Natural History, the 1st century AD Roman author Pliny the Elder characterizes the Seres, sometimes identified as Iranians (Scythians) or Tocharians, as red-haired and blue-eyed. In the late 2nd century AD, the Christian theologian Clement of Alexandria says that the Scythians are fair-haired. The 2nd century Greek philosopher Polemon includes the Scythians among the northern peoples characterized by red hair and blue-grey eyes. In the late 2nd or early 3rd century AD, the Greek physician Galen declares that Sarmatians, Scythians and other northern peoples have reddish hair.
They were basically steppe irishmen.
>>
Did Cyrus the Great really get pwned by Tomyris or was that just a story Herodotus made up?
>>
>>1860679
>>1860680
>>1860795
Holy shit I don't know why that got posted so many times.
>>
>>1860796
Did Cyrus the Great really get pwned by Tomyris or was that just a story Herodotus made up?
>>
>>1860823
Did Tomyris the Pwned really get great by Herodotus or was that just a story Cyrus made up?
>>
>>1860885
Did Pwned the Herodotus really get great by Tomyris or was that just a cyrus Story made up?
>>
>>1860700
>literally "DELET THIS"
>>
>>1860700
DNA doesn't lie
>>
>>1860915
Ancient people =/= modern people
Was USA also always mostly white?
>>
>>1860700
WE WUZ SCYTHIANS

t. brown people
>>
>>1860922
The area that Scythia inhabited is brown today.
>>
>>1860925
/pol/ memes aren't arguments.
>>
>>1860936
>says the person who's only argument was linking a 4chan board
>>
>>1860939
When you spew racist bullshit you should expect to be called out.
>>
>>1860944
When did i say anything racist?
>>
>>1860944
i agree

it's 2016, this kind of racist hate speech can no longer be tolerated on the internet. 4chan needs to catch up with the rest of the internet.
>>
>>1860944
Right? Compared to more progressive sites like Reddit, we're still living in the stone age, and yet it's 2016.
>>
>>1860944
Why don't you call him out with some sort of evidence against his claim?
>>
>>1860944
>racist bullshit
Explain.
>>
>>1860268
Did Tomyris ever do something relevant in her whole life? Apart from the probably fake story of her getting butthurt and killing Cyrus. Is there even consensus that she existed?
>>
>>1861076
That's what I'm trying to find out.
>>
>>1861076
We do know that the Massagetae existed as a indo-iranian tribal confederation and part of the Scythians.

As for Tomyris herself, it's just Herodotus while he admits that he only heard about her from a "reliable source" and no one actually saw the aftermath of the supposed battle. And later greek/roman historians parrot this version like Strabo.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.