[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how good of a bio is this for Bismarck?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

how good of a bio is this for Bismarck?
>>
guess not
>>
I read this!

It was fucking awesome!

Incredible detail about how he played everybody like a fiddle.

Great read.
>>
>berg
>>
>>1860492
but i heard this was mostly a character assassination by the author
>>
>>1862694
whoever you heard this from must be spooked by slave morality
>>
>>1862698
>what did he mean by this
>>
>(((Steinberg)))
>>
>>1860518
Wow! I had no idea Claus von Stauffenberg and Hindenberg and all the other -bergs were filthy jews. Thank you for this incredible revelation.
>>
>>1858983
>reading a biography on a german from a jew

yeah almost as credible as books written about jews by nazis
>>
>>1863324
the author is a jew tho
>>
>>1863324
>von Stauffenberg
>planted a bomb at Hitler's feet
>not a filthy kike

wew fuckin' lad, my boy
>>
>>1863326
But Bismark isn't a nazi. Why would a Jew author have anything against him?
>>
>>1863341
>Implying Erwin "Good Boy Dindu Nuffin" Rommel who also tried to kill Hitler was a jew.
>>
>>1863345
Tbh jews are still secretly butthurt at germans I had a jewish roommate in college and he hated the german exchange students
>>
>>1863351
>implying Rommel wasn't an opportunistic overrated general and completely outclassed by Manstein
>>
>>1863355
nice blog where can i subscribe
>>
>>1863359
>Ask the question "why would a jew author have anything against bismarck"
>get a relevant anecdote in response

le kys
>>
>>1860492
(me)
>>1862694
>but i heard this was mostly a character assassination by the author
I didn't find that to be the case.

He comes off about as well as any other ruling class aristocrat that manipulates things behind the scenes to get shit done.

I thought it was a neutral and rational analysis of 19th century German politics.

...so yeah, in /pol/ language it was total Jew lying bullshit because it didn't go all like this ->

>MUH BISMARCK
>MUH PROUD ARYAN LEADER
>BISMARCK DINNU DO NUTTIN WRONG
>PERFIDIOUS FRANCE
>ETERNAL ANGLO
>BLAH BLAH BLAH
>>
>>1863477
Simply put, it fails on almost every level. Too short to provide a definitive account of the man (and wasting too much space on character assassination to permit much detail to be afforded to the well-known and the lesser known events of his career). Too cursory to be academic and too purposeful to be good popular history. Bespeckled with irritating mistakes like the constant misspelling of Field Marshal. He cherrypicks anecdote and comment to demonstrate that Bismarck is an anti-Semite, ignoring evidence of improvement in Jewish life during his career and treating dismissively his extensive professional contacts with prominent Jews and what seemed to be a personal affinity for many of them. He devotes less than a page and a half to social security legislation and dozens of pages to partisan warfare, designed to prove that Bismarck was petty and vindictive. The analogies to contemporary events are strained and unnecessary. The extrapolation from very limited evidence of important character traits, such as libido, is unbecoming a serious attempt at biography.

At the end of the day Steinberg simply cannot assess Bismarck on his own terms, he has to treat him as the linear ancestor of Hitler. Countless events and personalities intervened between Bismarck's fall and Hitler's rise, and to pin the latter on the former is patently unfair. Bismarck was anti-Semitic, to be sure, but some rather disgusting statements and his indifference before the mob are all that Steinberg can muster to prove that he was hostile to the Jews and that he helped pave the way for what came later. That is to ignore the time period in which Bismarck operated, one in which Russian pogroms were taking place and the Dreyfuss Affair was bringing out a great deal of ugliness in French public life. He was a good deal better than many of his contemporaries and Jews made marked progress because of changes he helped to bring about.

No one is well-served by this book.
>>
>>1858983
The Amazon reviews speak for themselves, which I was looking at a few days ago. The author has an incredibly strong biased against Bismarck, which makes the book unreadable. I don't think a Frenchman could write a bigger piece of propaganda against Bismarck.
>>
>>1864120
why are there so few bios in english on otto?
>>
>>1863494
i enjoyed reading your review.

Do you have a recommendation for a good book on Bismark?
>>
>>1864123
There aren't, just know where to look.

>>1865410
This has been considered the best book on Bismarck in English for over half a century.

https://www.amazon.com/Bismarck-German-Empire-Erich-Eyck/dp/0393002357/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477263052&sr=1-1&keywords=bismarck
>>
>>1866267
all right all right now whats a good bio on Fred and Moltke?
>>
>>1866267
Danke
>>
>>1866308
>Fred
Duffy is best for his military career
https://www.amazon.com/military-life-Frederick-Great/dp/0689115482/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477283231&sr=1-9&keywords=frederick+the+great

>Moltke
I don't know of a single autobiography, just his roles in the unification wars. Quintin Barry wrote books about his role in the wars with both Austria and France, as well as his relationship with the rest of the general staff.

>>1866777
Your welcome
>>
>>1867889
what about showalter for fred?
>>
>>1868991
It's good too, there are a lot of good books about him to choose from, I just gave an example.
>>
>>1866308
Read William O'Connor Morris's 'Moltke: A Biographical and Critical Study'- there's a reason nobody has covered him in years.
>>
>>1871137

whats the resaon
>>
File: Reich.png (519KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Reich.png
519KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>1863494
It was about how he did what he did that was important.

I don't give two shits about his opinion.

He was clear and detailed about how Bismarck played the game of politics.

If you can stop having a fit you can enjoy the history.
>>
>>1863324
>Hindenberg
burg

also

von Manstein :4)
>>
>>1863322
>>1860518
>>1863330
>>1863341
>>1863351
>being this obsessed
sad tbqh
>>
>>1871137
>1894
Wow that's ancient. It's not even really that much of a historical context.
>>
>>1858983
Says he invented pan-slavism to make sure he pushes Russia into wars in the Balkans every time they try to reform. Cool if true.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.