[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

German and British warships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: germanynavalwwi.gif (15KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
germanynavalwwi.gif
15KB, 400x240px
Technically speaking, how did the battleships, cruisers and destroyers of the Royal Navy and German Imperial Navy rate against each other in the early 20th century to WWI?

I recall reading somewhere that while German guns were usually smaller on ships, they (or their ammunition) were generally superior to their British counterparts and so though smaller could preform at least equally. And that the reduced weight of guns allowed them to carry more armour or something.

Did either side build "better" classes of ships or were they simply different ideas for the same things?
>>
>>1855948
Rule of thumb:
German ships may have been better quality, since they were mostly brand new, but British had waaay more of them. Sheer numbers win strategy.
>>
>>1855954
Ahem, no. Both sides were brand new for the ships that mattered, since the Dreadnought had only been built in 1906. By definition, its impossible for any side to have old capital ships of worth, since everything was built since 1906.
The Germans actually would be the ones with older ships relatively, since at Jutland they deployed a squadron of pre-dreadnoughts to increase the strength of their battle line.
>>
>>1855948
They were pretty similar.

German guns were more accurate but had a shorter range.

German ships had better night fighting equipment.
>>
>>1855962
My mistake. Well in that case the Germans were fucked to be blockaded since the beginning. Their only hope was to catch Britain with their pants down somehow.
>>
>>1855954
Sure quantity has a quality of its own, but this is purely just about the quality of individual ship classes.
>>
File: muh bloody ships.jpg (21KB, 384x332px) Image search: [Google]
muh bloody ships.jpg
21KB, 384x332px
>>1855948
>jutland
>>
How much of the poor performance of the battlecruisers at Jutland can be attributed to poor British safety and how much to lol battlecruisers?
>>
>>1855948
Germans stored their ammunition in armored depots.
The British on the otherhand would often leave a shit ton of their rounds up on deck, which was, needless to say, very stupid.
>>
File: SMS Seydlitz Jutland aftermath.jpg (162KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
SMS Seydlitz Jutland aftermath.jpg
162KB, 1280x960px
>>1856144
>lol battlecruisers
u wot m8
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.