[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Zen Buddhism is Anti-Jewish?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3933.jpg (163KB, 960x552px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3933.jpg
163KB, 960x552px
I saw this image a while back and was wondering if its legitimate. If so, what theological reasons do Zen Buddhist have in opposition to Judaism?
>>
i mean it would make sense, the main virtues of zen buddhism include order and stability

i dont think they had autistic hatred of jews like himmler though
>>
The japs have hated and will always harbor hatred to towards jews, as they should. And yes that quote is real but not all zenyatta Buddhists are anti-Semitic
>>
>>1855149
The Jews fear the samurai.
>>
>>1855225
Is it a common feeling today?
>>
>>1855149
Holy shit redpilled as fuck.
>>
>>1855149
From a Japanese perspective, with their relatively unobtrusive and private religions, Abrahamics must really seem like demons from hell. Psychotically convinced of the truth of their scripture and not willing to compromise an inch on that. Any Japanese leader not willing to kowtow to a Christian would do well to oppress them, which is probably why they did.

I'm not sure why they would hate the Jews in particular though. They've never had much of an influence in Japan and aren't interested in proselytizing.
>>
File: serveimage.png (161KB, 635x349px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
161KB, 635x349px
>>
>>1855149
>imperial era japan
>buddhism

that's like saying catholicism in nazi germany was right
>>
>>1855149
zen buddhism is basically a polar opposite to rabbinic judaism.
>>
>>1857528
You're right. The correct version of zen Buddhism is that of modern day Japan or better yet Americam hippie Buddhism.
>>
Zen isn't really that dogmatic though.
>>
>>1855149
>1943
Zen Buddhists were going full retard.
>>
Buddhists still know demons are real they just deal with them differently (in a a bad way)
>>
File: 1474423354680.jpg (82KB, 600x535px) Image search: [Google]
1474423354680.jpg
82KB, 600x535px
Zen at War is a pretty good book about this topic
>>
>>1857508
>I'm not sure why they would hate the Jews in particular though. They've never had much of an influence in Japan and aren't interested in proselytizing.
State Shinto wasn't 'unobtrusive' at all, the Japanese Empire was ideologically geared toward world domination. The historical, biological, and spiritual Japanese and the historical, biological, and spiritual Jews can't both dominate the world. Both want to. There is a simple conflict of interest.
And no, I don't mean that every Jew and every Jap dreams of having the world as his own personal sandbox to charge outrageous interest rates or whatever racist thing Japs do. I mean that religious Judaism carries with it a notion that the Jew is set apart from non-Jews, that Jews in general are set apart from other nations, etc. Likewise, State Shinto in the Showa era taught that the Japanese people had a special connection with the Emperor and the gods (of which the Emperor was the greatest) that set them apart from every other nation, which had suffered revolution or lost its original Emperors (none of whom could claim an unbroken line like the Japanese royal family can) or spiritual heads by the time of what can be called high martial modernism in Japan, i.e. WWII.
It's easy to say that Jews have no presence in Asian countries but it's harder to demonstrate. A Jewish girl I know who majored in Japanese studies is currently working in Japan. There's at least one. I'm sure there have been more influential Jews in Japan other than her.
Anyway, watch Angel Cop and read Skya's Japan's Holy War alongside Harootunian's Toward Restoration and you'll get what it's about.
>>
>>1857825

They are right though. The set of ideas that christians, jews, and muslims adopt set them to perceive the world in an unrealistic way.
>>
>>1855149
>1943
>Japanese
I'm sure he had no political reasons for blasting the Heebs
>>
>>1855156
>the main virtues of zen buddhism include order and stability
So you mean it's spooked as fuck
>>
>>1857508
>From a Japanese perspective, with their relatively unobtrusive and private religions, Abrahamics must really seem like demons from hell. Psychotically convinced of the truth of their scripture and not willing to compromise an inch on that. Any Japanese leader not willing to kowtow to a Christian would do well to oppress them, which is probably why they did.

He doesn't signal out all Abrahamics though, nor do his complaints have anything to do with proselytizing.

He's says specifically the Jews "assert things like the existence of equality in the phenomenal world" and "hold the deep seated delusion and blind belief that...they alone have been chosen by God and are therefore an exceptionally superior people."
>>
>>1855149

There is no religious basis in Zen for these statements.

Yasutani, like other Zen Buddhists in 40's Japan, were indoctrinated with the values of fascism and believed a central figure (like an emperor) was essential for a healthy society. During the war, they clearly felt pressured to construct various "dharmic loopholes" in order to sanction Japanese going to battle, in line with the nationalism of the day.

>"However, in killing [the
enemy] one should swallow one's tears, bearing in mind the truth of killing
yet not killing. Failing to kill an evil man who ought to be killed, or
destroying an enemy army that ought to be destroyed, would be to betray
compassion and filial obedience, to break the precept forbidding the taking
of life. This is a special characteristic of the Mahayana precepts."
-Yasutani

Most of these people expressed regret after the war.

>"The question is simply where this loyalty will take us. I too was completely convinced when I went to war against the Russians, but after our defeat, I realized that we had done something that we shouldn’t have. In any case, it’s better not to make war in the first place."
-Sawaki

Yasutani went on to have a long career teaching western students, and there is no record that he ever treated Jewish students badly or made any anti-semitic remarks. In fact, Philip Kapleau, who brought Yasutani's teachings to the west and was a life-long student and friend of him, happened to be Jewish.
>>
>>1859157
> Yasutani, like other Zen Buddhists in 40's Japan, were indoctrinated with the values of fascism and believed a central figure (like an emperor) was essential for a healthy society. During the war, they clearly felt pressured to construct various "dharmic loopholes" in order to sanction Japanese going to battle, in line with the nationalism of the day.
Its not like Japan was a bastion of liberalism pre-war though. I doubt this type of thought was out of line with most Japanese warriors throughout history.
>>
>>1859769

Japanese imperialism was a relatively young institution, but the stress of hierarchy in everyday life and filiality towards the ruler is a very old and deeply ingrained aspect of the Japanese temperament. There's always been an interplay between spirituality and warfare as well - people are quick to mention the similarities between Bushido and Zen Buddhism, as well as the numerous Samurai who practiced Zen, or Zen masters like Takuan Soho who trained Samurai. What is less known is that many Samurai laid down their weapons as a consequence of their spiritual training. No matter how far you look back historically, there is no general permission of violence exhibited in the orthodox branches of the religion, but it's a situation that has depended on the overall political climate, the relationship with the government and the outlook of prominent clergy. It's much easier to find examples of monks being struck down, or monasteries burnt to the ground in nonviolent protest, than monks advocating violence or war.

Chán Buddhism was very prominent in China for a few centuries, hand in hand with the government of the time, but there was never much mention of these dynamics. It's safe to assume there was a military component to this relationship as lay Buddhism has always been allowed more leeway, but popular monastic figures were pretty irreverent in respect to governmental institutions, politics and warfare.
>>
>>1859769
His opinions aren't incompatible on Zen, they're just not really based on Zen principles.

It's like how you can find a Zionist proddie and an anti-Semitic proddie.

And the way things are interpreted is different. In Abrahamic religions you have scripture, and you try to interpret what it means. With Buddhism you start out with principles, and interpret how it applies to life.
>>
>>1859769
I recently read a good piece on how these loopholes were always potential pitfalls of zen philosophy. a common argument was nothing was immoral as long as it came form an "enlightened mind" in other words, the emperor.
>>
No.

If they hated, they would lose their flow.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAwZkXcy_M

Here is your man, op.
>>
>>1861644
Good answer
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.