[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sub-Sahara #2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: b087-1.jpg (778KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
b087-1.jpg
778KB, 1600x1200px
Last thread went pretty great before it got deleted, so let's have another!
Mali, Songhai, Kongo, Benin, The Swahili City States, and the other civilizations and cultures within sub-Saharan africa. Discussion of Ethiopia and Axum is welcome as well.
>>
You should really be more specific. Sub-Saharan Africa doesn't mean anything except a vaguely defined part of a landmass. It's like having an 'Asia' thread.
>>
>>1855412

Mmmm there were only like 5 notable empires in sub sahara. It's not even a warring states period thread.
>>
>>1855424
I've no idea what you're saying.
>>
>>1854696
So what was succession like for a lot of these kingdoms and empires? Did all sons inherit something after their father died?
>>
>>1854696
Askia Mohammed Toure was named Caliph of the western sudan

Was that Ottomon flattery or an actual religious edict?
>>
>>1855452
Depends on time and place

The people of the Congo basin and cultures influenced by Christianity & Islam were by and large patrilineal

Everyone else inherited through their uncles matrilineal style

Then you have places like Congo where kings were elected out of the old kings sons so they all went Game of Thrones on each other until the most conniving son came out on top
>>
>>1855412
There are very few people here who even care about Africa's history on this site much less know about it enough to discuss it in depth. This way people cam share and talk about what parts they know wit out getting their individual threads shitposting to oblivon and they can get more than two posts talking about it.
If you disagree I'd love you to prove me wrong and discuss some history.
>>
>>1856897
what history? they didn't write much down.
>>
I wish I had my notes, I could post a lot. Stateless societies were based on the rule of elders, and in the more dense tropical regions, competitions were done when performing manual labor. One area that has fascinated me, is Dahomey and its female "special forces, " what conditions motivated its existence? I read they were rather effective.

Unesco had some books on African History, but I can't access it for some reason.

Architecture : The notion that the Bantu all dwelled in mud huts is false, but mud was indeed the primary building materials. In the Niger-Delta, people tended to build more square like structures.

Anyone interested in a great series on the subject should see Basil Davidson's 8 part documentary on African History.
>>
>>1857131
They wrote more than you think and even then they have plenty physical proof and oral history
>>
>>1855511
>Then you have places like Congo where kings were elected out of the old kings sons so they all went Game of Thrones on each other until the most conniving son came out on top
Sounds like Tannistry. Who did the electing?
>>
>>1855511
Was there a lot of political violence akin to Europe? Was the systemike feudalism?
>>
>>1859163
Typically an assembly of province level nobles selected from village elders who elected them
>>
>>1855452
>So what was succession like for a lot of these kingdoms and empires? Did all sons inherit something after their father died?
Congo was an absolute shitshow. Kings were elected by nobles but there was constantly disagreements.

Ndongo and Matamba had matrilineal succession, and queens were common however the throne usually went to a man.

>>1857131
Some of them wrote their own history, some of them had history written by Europeans. Also archaeological evidence is allowed on /his/
>>
>>1859480
>Was the systemike feudalism?
In many places yes. Not everywhere though, you have states ranging from Merchant cities to Jihadist Caliphates to feudal kingdoms to highly ritualised government.
>>
>>1858126
It's my understanding that Dahomey rose to provenance in conjunction with the European slave trade. Its kings became massively wealthy off of raiding rival villages and selling them to Europeans in exchange for weapons, which would further fuel their expansion. They would also would bleed a lot of the surrounding kingdoms of their population, which made it even easier for them to extort these depopulated kingdoms.

The Dahomey Amazons are the kings guards, and legally are married to him and thus not allowed to have children. This along with their elevated societal status as equals among men guaranteed that their loyalty was with to the king and no one else. Plus their extensive training with European muskets and formation made them especially deadly compared to the less organized tribal levies of places like Benin and Oyo.
>>
>>1858126
http://www.unesco.org/new/en/social-and-human-sciences/themes/general-history-of-africa/volumes/
link to volumes if anyone is interested in free stuff
>>
>>1859792
Weirdly enough the Fon & Ewe people disliked slavery up until they were conquered by the Yoruba and forced to offer tribute in slaves
>>
Currently reading pic related. Would anyone here happen to have access to decent copies of the "Kano Chronicles"?
>>
>>1860486
Aww shit nigga

That's the book I used back in the day
>>
>>1860497
I own three texts by Davidson. The man is my go to for African History. He's presents the facts as best as he can, and isn't prone to flights of fancy, which is a plague on the study of African history.
>>
>>1854696
>Sub-Sahara
It's a racist /pol/ meme created to cut off africans from their Egyptian heritage. Saged.
>>
File: Shango-Yoruba Pantheon.png (111KB, 298x264px) Image search: [Google]
Shango-Yoruba Pantheon.png
111KB, 298x264px
>>1854696
>got deleted
Fucking why
>>
Hairstyles. I took these without meaning to share, but this thread came up, and I'm not on my computer.
>>
>>1860606
It got memed to death what did you think?
>>
>>1854696
What's the relationship these places had with India and the Far-East?
>>
>>1854696
>>1860946
Do deleted threads get archived?
>http://desuarchive.org/his/thread/1829894/
>>
>>1861109
I thought they did
>>
File: WE w.jpg (77KB, 741x416px) Image search: [Google]
WE w.jpg
77KB, 741x416px
What did BLM protestors mean by this?
>>
>>1861144
>>1861168
>tfw can't discuss african history on /his/ without thread getting meme'd to death
I want /pol/ to leave
>>
A while back I read some excerpts from a book called "Mission to Ashantee" by some English adventurer. It was published 5 years before the British and the Ashanti first started fighting. It was pretty interesting
>>
>>1860486
>pre colonial
colonial building on the front
>>
>>1861494
It was rebuilt over time, and the structure is representative of Pre colonial architecture.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.