[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Quid est veritas?" or "what is truth?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: jesus gets btfo.jpg (148KB, 685x900px) Image search: [Google]
jesus gets btfo.jpg
148KB, 685x900px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_18:38

How did this retort from Pilate make it into the bible without making people think about how it thoroughly undermines everything else in the book? It's a great response to the arrogant nonsense being propagated by Jesus: "Only I know the truth!!" "so what is 'truth' then?"

It's also ahead of its time - discourse analysis is much more of a relatively modern concept afaik.
>>
wtf is that meme monk haircut
>>
>>1853178
Well to be honest a lot of what is in the bible undermines itself, The fact that the Gospels seldom agree is bad enough.

No worse than the Satanic verses of the Koran which seem to be blatant ripoffs of various philsophical and religious statements at the time of its writing.
>>
>>1853178
He is just saying truth is hard to determine, and therefore finds no fault in Jesus and refuses to punish him. He doesn't believe him to be king of heaven, but doesn't believe the claims of the Jews either. He's not mocking Jesus or anything, and nor does Jesus have the time or will to debate him.
>>
>>1853211
This, ironically subjective morality could have saved Jesus.
>>
>>1853178
>"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. With this he went out again to the Jews gathered there and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him.

Even Pilate asked Jesus for insight, and found no reason to condemn Him.

>>1853210
Gospels are very in sync, and so is the Quran. I know you guys don't agree with religion, but you can give a movie review after you watch the movie.
>>
>>1853289
The Gospel of John contradicts all of the others in its depiction of Jesus
>>
>modern
Pilate was a typical Roman stoic patrician, he wasn't unusual for the time.

As for Jesus, you forget to mention Pilate immediately went out and proclaimed him innocent to the Jews.

"What is truth" could equally apply to Roman polytheism or Judaism. If you saw a leprechaun and failed to catch it you would be convinced they exist but would be unable to prove their existence to others. Someone can force you to say 2+2=5, you will never believe it deep down however. Humans are fallible and can't be blamed for what they believe in. That is what he meant.
>>
>>1853308
No it doesn't though the Gospel of John is the most unique.
>>
>>1853310

>"What is truth" could equally apply to Roman polytheism or Judaism.

That's what I mean by referring to discourse analysis. Pilate's question gives me the impression that he didn't necessarily give a lot of stock to Roman polytheism (and its abundant syncretism) either and perceived Jesus to be yet another person who was insisting that he alone knew a singular, universal "truth" that invalidates all else.

My point is that Pilate could indeed have asked anyone else "what is truth?" if they imply that their's is the only 'truth'. However what sets this apart in this case is that the bible includes this broadside by Pilate into the idea of a dominant discourse that pervades throughout society, no matter how false it is.
>>
>>1853178
The apocryphal and annagrammatic answer is also interesting

Quid est veritas ?
Est vir qui adest !

What is truth ?
It's the man who is here.

It can refer to Jesus himself, or it can be a general statement : that truth is the subject.
>>
>>1853308
The Gospel of John was the only one written after the fall of Jerusalem and was concerned with different things than the first three. It doesn't contradict so much as it focuses on other things, like responding to the Gnostics and reaffirming the divinity of Christ.
>>
File: 1471513493816.png (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1471513493816.png
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>1853458
>The Gospel of John was the only one written after the fall of Jerusalem
>>
Pontius Pilate did nothing wrong. He gave Jesus a fair trial.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.