[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern Hebrew vs Ancient Hebrew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Aleppo_Codex_Joshua_1_1.jpg (258KB, 947x475px) Image search: [Google]
Aleppo_Codex_Joshua_1_1.jpg
258KB, 947x475px
I'm not talking about ancient ancient Hebrew like the old testament but Hebrew that would have been spoken in Jesus' time.

I hear modern Hebrew pronounciation and syntax is rather European.
>>
>>1852315

1st century Judea saw Hebrew as a secondary language, while it wasn't a completely liturgical language, most of its use would have been liturgical.

I'm guessing here, but pronunciation probably would have been very much affected by whatever contemporary norms in pronunciation of Aramaic were around at the time, as it was a far more common vernacular language.
>>
>>1852319
Why didn't Israel just use Aramaic given that it's an actual surviving language?
>>
>>1852369
None of them spoke it anymore.
>>
>>1852369

I assume you mean modern Israel?

Aramaic wasn't exactly a popular language by 1948, hell, a lot of Jewish writing from about 1,000 onward was back to Hebrew.

But also, because of an attempt to forge a national identity, they wanted a distinctly Jewish language, not one that was "Well, a lot of people in the near east spoke this back due to the influence of the Achmaenid empire"
>>
>>1852388
I thought Achmaenid Empire was Persian?

What?
>>
>>1852865

I'm not 100% sure how it happened myself, I'm not really an expert on the Old Persian empire, but it was the official language, with Persian itself seeing a far lesser scope. Probably because they mostly ruled over Semitic peoples and it would have been a bitch and a half to try to get them all speaking an Indo-European language, but that's just a guess on my part.
>>
>>1852315
Mishnaic was the form of Hebrew that was probably used. Modern Hebrew is influenced by Yiddish.
>>1852371
There were still some speakers of Aramaic languages in the 20th century and there are still some left today.
>>
>>1852315
Ancient Hebrew had a different word order than modern Hebrew and modern Hebrew has European-influenced phonology. Apart from that they're surprisingly similar
>>
>>1853190
this

>>1852315
modern hebrew is relexified slavic and was created 100 years ago by ben yehuda

> Ben‑Yehuda set out to develop a new language that could replace Yiddish and other regional dialects as a means of everyday communication between Jews who made aliyah from various regions of the world.
>>
>>1853190
Due to regional contact with Levantine Arabic, do you think theyll start adopting middle eastern phonetics?

Kinda like how Japanese and Korean are not related but have similar phonology
>>
>>1852388
>But also, because of an attempt to forge a national identity, they wanted a distinctly Jewish language, not one that was "Well, a lot of people in the near east spoke this back due to the influence of the Achmaenid empire"

Basically, WE WUZ ISRAELITES N SHEEIT
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.