[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>BCE >CE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
>BCE
>CE
>>
>>1847502
>The expression "Common Era" can be found as early as 1708 in English,[7] and traced back to Latin usage among European Christians to 1615, as vulgaris aerae,[8] and to 1635 in English as Vulgar Era.[c] At those times, the expressions were all used interchangeably with "Christian Era".
Use of the CE abbreviation was introduced by Jewish academics in the mid-19th century. Since the later 20th century, use of CE and BCE has been popularized in academic and scientific publications and more generally by authors and publishers wishing to emphasize secularism or sensitivity to non-Christians, because it does not explicitly make use of religious titles for Jesus, such as "Christ" and Dominus ("Lord"), which are used in the BC/AD notation, nor does it give implicit expression to the Christian creed that Jesus is the Christ.[9][10][11]

>Some oppose the Common Era notation for explicitly religious reasons. Because the BC/AD notation is based on the traditional year of the conception or birth of Jesus, removing reference to him in era notation is offensive to some Christians.[72]
>>
>>1847515

its literally the same time frame, but changing the names of it through petty butthurt at christians
>>
>>1847527
it's merely an academic nicety but uninformed people love to be offended because it gives the guise of being knowledgeable

ie Pluto and it's demotion as a Planet, only lesser informed people even cared, not a single astronomer minded
>>
0 ad was roughly 2016 years ago
>>
>>1847598
I don't think there is a 0AD anon
>>
>>1847598

how is there a 0 AD? it just goes down to 1 and then starts over
>>
>>1847502
Atheist here.

CE I can understand, but BCE is fucking pathetic, you would need to be an imbecile to deny Jesus' influence on the world.
>>
Let's switch the start point to something else. I propose the release of the KFC double-down.
>>
>>1847621
Material conditions >>>>> ideology. Christ was window dressing.
>>
>>1847622
as a non American wtf are you talking about
>>
>>1847640
It's a sandwhich composed of two hunks of fried chicken, bacon, cheese, and I think a sauce. I wasn't serious. That said I do think there are better starting points we could pick.
>>
>>1847649
Before Teutoburg and Post Teutoburg seems fair
>>
>>1847649
a-anon... what is this
>>
>>1847673
the dawn of history
>>
>>1847502
Common era just refers to the commonly used calendar, while also being secular and arbitrary.
Since the year is the same there is no risk of confusion and no need for intense reformation.
Since it's secular there's also no issues with religious titles regardless of how petty or minor of a concern that is.
And it's also arbitrary so the dates can't be wrong, whereas the estimates for Jesus' birth aren't at the turning point from B.C to A.D..
Christian Era doesn't really make sense in that context either since actual Christian influence on the world is even further off into the future from that point.

>>1847621
I don't get why you would think BCE is somehow worse.
>>
>>1847557
I get fucking pissed every time some facbook mom or teenage kid screams "I LOVE PLUTO!!!111!!!! MAKE HIM A PLANET AGAIN!111!!!!"
>>
>>1847502
when i hear those words i imagine a butthurt atheist going through wikipedia pages to edit out BC/AD
>>
>>1847692
butthurt (((atheist)))
>>
>>1847753
wat
>>
>>1847692
Sounds like projection.

>>1847758
He's claiming only Jews would care.
>>
>>1847753
(((this)))
>>
>>1847502

I prefer it because Jesus wasn't born in 1 ad anyway.
>>
>>1847769
>>1847753
samefag
>>
>Basing your dating system off of the (incorrect) date of birth of a jew
>2769 AUC
>>
>>1848230

>implying it isnt currently 54 DGN
>>
>>1847502
I love Common Era usage because it makes christcucks butthurt. You need to understand its usage doesn't arise out of political correctness, it's to remind the religious that secularism reigns triumphant.
>>
File: 1474223884774.jpg (55KB, 451x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474223884774.jpg
55KB, 451x720px
>AUC
>>
>>1848350
lol
>>
>>1847673
'Murica
>>
I couldn't give two shits about political correctness or whatever, but all connotations aside, BCE and CE are fucking HORRIBLE acronyms. They're different lengths, and one of them contains the other. Honestly, you'd think the fucking self-righteous pricks who think they're super edgy for separating this shit from religion would have half a fucking brain to recognize shitty acronyms
>>
File: aba.jpg (84KB, 680x529px) Image search: [Google]
aba.jpg
84KB, 680x529px
>>1848350
beautiful
>>
File: Scholar Gentleman Pepe.png (82KB, 624x434px) Image search: [Google]
Scholar Gentleman Pepe.png
82KB, 624x434px
>>1848509
>Year cycle, element, zodiac sign, reign name, year of the emperor's rule.
>>
Why does this make some Christians so butthurt? How is it offensive to you?
>>
>>1850406
Same reason they get upset by Xmas

Christfags have a codified persecution complex, and think everything is a sign of the end times
>>
>>1850436
I am an atheist, but Xmas just feels retarded. Like when people self censor their bullsh*t. Like we all know what you mean and you just being a dick to f*ck up with words here.
>>
>>1847763
(((You)))
>>
>>1850406
Apathy is the first step to dissolution.
>>
File: 1447111258815s.jpg (7KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1447111258815s.jpg
7KB, 250x187px
>>1847515
>ce was introduced by Jewish critics
>>
>>1847557
Nobody in my department uses BCE/CE in private conversation, we all make fun of it, but inevitably if we use BC/AD in a paper then someone complains and the review and editing process gets set back weeks. It's excruciating.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.