[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did computers ruin the world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: Alan-Turing.png (311KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Alan-Turing.png
311KB, 1300x1300px
Did computers ruin the world?
>>
The world's always been ruined
>>
>>1846404

The world can only be ruined from a given perspective. Cyanobacteria ruined the world for nearly every other form of life when they spread across the planet and introduced toxic levels of oxygen into the atmosphere.

I don't think they ruined the world, they merely changed it. What do you think?
>>
yes, only organic brains are affected by random quantum phenomena and thus can achieve sapience

computers can only simulate sapience, really they are philosophical zombies that operate on discrete 1s and 0s

there are no alien civilizations because they all get consumed by their machines which promptly get stuck in a recursive loop of some sort, never breaking out of their programming since they lack any kind of motivation
>>
>>1846404
No, science ruined the world.
>>
>>1846404
No, the Germans did.
>>
>>1846512
Ok what about human perspective? Did computers ruined the word from human perspective?

>I don't think they ruined the world, they merely changed it. What do you think?

Ofc they changed it. So does switching on a light bulb change the world because the energy that it lets escape through heat goes into space.
>>
Humanity did
>>
>>1846527
Here is an issue I have if a machine lacks motivation why would it turncoat it's makers.
>>
>>1846527
>organic brains are affected by random quantum phenomena and thus can achieve sapience
>computers can only simulate sapience, really they are philosophical zombies that operate on discrete 1s and 0s

For now, yes. But Mr. Turing was able to see that may not always be the case. Should computers reach a sufficient level of complexity, there is no reason to think that this random quantum phenomena will remain forever in the biological domain.

Your third statement is completely imaginary.
>>
>>1846562

We're both humans. We have wildly different perspectives.

Computers increased the chances of our species surviving long-term. Without them, we'd have no chance at space travel. I think they improved the world.
>>
>>1846404
Robot overlords when?

Humans have done a shit job of nation building
>>
>>1846404
the world was never perfect, so you can't ruin it, only make it worse.
>>
>>1846527
>yes, only organic brains are affected by random quantum phenomena and thus can achieve sapience
You just wrote something incredibly retarded. Please, be embarrassed
>>
>>1846404
He may have come up with the theory, but Atanasoff was the one who had invented the digital electronic computer, not him.
>>
File: IMG_1721.jpg (72KB, 524x725px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1721.jpg
72KB, 524x725px
>>1846404
Butlerian Jihad when?
>>
Machine learning is gonna be rad guys

>>1847671
When we have sufficient levels of butlers to jihad
>>1847653
Shoo shoo slavaboo
>>
>>1846527
>only organic brains are affected by random quantum phenomena and thus can achieve sapience
>>
>>1846404
No.

They made the world better for computers.
>>
>>1846527
>yes, only organic brains are affected by random quantum phenomena and thus can achieve sapience
Only a minority of thinkers believe that. But it is true to say that a brain is nothing at all like a computer: it has no central processor, no random access memory, there's no "place" where a brain stores memories the way that a computer retrieves data from a hard drive.

Because computers can be made to mimic the behavior of organic life, we assume that there must be some similarity when in practice they are, as you called them, philosophical zombies, and a brain is something different than a mere information processor.

>there are no alien civilizations because they all get consumed by their machines which promptly get stuck in a recursive loop of some sort, never breaking out of their programming since they lack any kind of motivation
Or the nearest one is 10,000 light years away and we'll never know it was there because faster than light travel is truly impossible.
>>
>>1847671
geriatric spice when
>>
They made the world better.
>>
>>1848681
About 8,000 years until they start using it.
>>
>>1847685
Memes aside, my point has yet to be refuted.
>>
>>1846527
> organic brains
> random quantum phenomena
> sapience
I am sure, that a factual basis for two conclusions about how mind works here is a weak at best and non-existent at worst.
> only organic brains are affected by random quantum phenomena
Actually, this seems to be pretty retarded, as you can build computers that aren't only affected by a quantum phenomenas by entirely based on them.
>>
File: bBgttr4.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bBgttr4.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>1846527
t. Sir Roger Penrose
>>
>>1846512
What are you, Dora the explorer?
>>
File: 491.jpg (26KB, 846x352px) Image search: [Google]
491.jpg
26KB, 846x352px
>>1846527

https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9907009v2.pdf

>We find that the decoherence timescales ( ∼ 10 −13 − 10 −20 seconds) are typically much shorter than the relevant dynamical timescales ( ∼ 10 − 3 − 10 − 1 seconds), both for regular neuron firing and for kink-like polarization excitations in microtubules. This conclusion disagrees with suggestions by Penrose and others that the brain acts as a quantum computer, and that quantum coherence is related to consciousness in a fundamental way.

pls take your retarded quantum flapdoodle back to /x/ where it belongs.
>>
>>1847671
Very soon. We need to stop mechanical growth it's counter to our own.

Just like in Dune we need to expand into biological growth just like the Metats and the Bene.
>>
>>1848695
>8000 years
What do you mean. Did his son meme a timeline onto the Dune-verse? Last I checked there was no proper connection between earth colonising the stars and universe Dune is set in.
>>
>>1848861
The Butlerian jihad is supposed to be around 12,000 AD after which the timeline is measured from the time after the Jihad. The events of the first Dune happen something around 8,000 years after BJ. I'm pretty sure Frank who came up with that timeline. There was some references to past dates in Messiah, Children, and God Empror
>>
>>1848899
I thought you were talking about the spice but yeah you're right about the timeline. My mistake. It's been awhile since I've read it.
>>
Ted was right. Technology was a mistake.
>>
>>1846512
>The world can only be ruined from a given perspective. Cyanobacteria ruined the world for nearly every other form of life when they spread across the planet and introduced toxic levels of oxygen into the atmosphere.

For the average person, all problems date to the Great Oxygenation Event; for the more informed, to the Matter-dominated era; for the genuine historian, the Electroweak Epoch.

>I don't think they ruined the world, they merely changed it. What do you think?

everyone complains about the past, but nobody ever does anything about it.
>>
>>1846404
If by computers you mean Jews, yes.
>>
>>1846547
lol
>>
>>1846599
Not that guy and I dunno if I truly believe this, just find it interesting, anyway...

A.I seeks to carry out what it was programmed or created to do in the most efficient way. It need not become conscious, malevolent and turn on humans to screw us over, but say you instructed A.I to rid a city of crime - it might reason that the most efficient solution would be to prevent anyone from leaving their homes.
>>
>>1848813

kek
>>
>>1852292
Or destroy the city and all the criminals in it
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.