[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with history discussion question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: washre.jpg (16KB, 434x278px) Image search: [Google]
washre.jpg
16KB, 434x278px
I thought it would be interesting to come to 4chan for help with school.

In my online history class we have to post to the discussion board in response to the following question:

"All Americans did not accept the need for the Revolutionary War. To what extent was the American Revolution a civil war between Patriots and Loyalists?"

I just need like a paragraph, really. Anybody familiar with that time in history and wanna give it a whirl, help a fellow out?
>>
>>1846330
5% took part in the revolution, 10% supported it without acting, 4% were active loyalist and 81% hated the revolution but didnt act
>>
>>1846330
Like 20 to a quarter were loyalists and about 80,000 left after the war to the British Empire. The patriots made up a minority of the population. Most people just wanted to get by.
>>
File: Burger pepe.jpg (72KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
Burger pepe.jpg
72KB, 499x499px
>>1846330
About a third were loyalist while another third where neutral. The patriots effectively suppressed both groups in the years before the first shots were fired. Most of the regiments of loyalists fought against the patriots where recruited by the British from territory they captured. Also do your own research you lazy faggit.
>>
>>1846330
Also the revolution was in a whole perpetuated because of the colonial wealthy to achieve greater status.

There was a glass ceiling for those born in the colonies.
>>
File: Trump sunglasses smile.png (134KB, 172x171px) Image search: [Google]
Trump sunglasses smile.png
134KB, 172x171px
>>1846359
I could, but this is more fun, don't you think?
>>
I appreciate the responses so far, though it seems everybody has a different answer about what percentage of the people were loyalists, haha.

Maybe this wasn't the best idea.
>>
The local financial/intelligentsia elites had specific financial interests in independence. Keeping tax revenue state-side and making political decisions themselves (instead of being merely intermediary council bodies). Washington was fairly illiberal if you read his personal letters. He was a relatively new immigrant, and most certainly identified with British culture. He had very little interest in the stupid rabble having any input in governing themselves. He just didn't want colonial minders in London taxing his black African booty harem.

Needless to say, a large portion of the population didn't see any stake in a fight for independence. Keep in mind that tax-paying was not like today... back then, quite a lot of it would be by necessity what we'd now call grey market or under the table stuff. Only elites (merchant class, basically) had any interest in tax squabbles.
>>
>>1846359
I'm Canadian, one of my ancestors was a loyalist. He was German but had been living in Pennsylvania for nearly 15 years when war broke out. When Hessian mercenaries showed up in his backyard, he decided to join them. He was a bit older (early 30s), and worked in some quartermaster detachment, organizing food raids or doling out socks or rum and shit. Got land in Canada as a reward.
>>
>>1846407
Thanks for the time you took to write that!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.