[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can technology be inherently evil?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: heidi.jpg (75KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
heidi.jpg
75KB, 900x750px
Can technology be inherently evil?
>>
nope
>>
File: Howard_Scott.jpg (143KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
Howard_Scott.jpg
143KB, 564x800px
>>1846195
No.
>>
what if the use of a particular technology is to inflict pain, suffering, bodily harm etc., and there is literally no other use
>>
>>1846230
Then those that created it are evil I suppose by nature. The tech is merely doing as programmed.
>>
Technology gives us what we want, when we want it. There's a reason that the design philosophy for computing transitioned from a single mainframe that computers linked into, to a network that computers all contribute to, and that this shift occurred along the same timeframe as a breakdown in authority and social institutions occurred.
>>
>>1846195
Define evil first
>>
>>1846195

Considering the fastest leaps and advances came from war related tech development, probably yes.

Think of all the wasted materials and resources from shit unnecessary tech basically designed as competition for existing products.
>>
>>1846195
Is technology inherently evil?*

Idiot
>>
Im Gestell erweist sich die Seinsvergessenheit des Menschen der Neuzeit.
>>
>>1846230
Inflicting pain, suffering, and bodily harm is a very important function for the dissipation of entropy and and entropic agents.

Ur moral imagination aint next level enuf.
>>
"Technology is neither good nor evil. Just like the death ray"
- Hubert Farnsworth
>>
Can someone tell me what is his "Question concerning technology" about? When I read it I can't understand a shit. I have no philosophy background.
>>
>>1846195
1). What is 'evil'?
2). Why is it so?
3). What can it be applied to?
Answer these first.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1334x750px
>>1846334
Arrogance breeds ignorance. We don't fully understand the nature of our reality.

>the ghost in the machine concept

Given the limited understanding humans have via quantum mechanics, it's possibly all technology or electrical is bound to some other force.

There are religious or occult teachings that speak about this as well. That each took used by humans has a daemon inside.

The short film - 'Shaman' is an interesting take on it. That will start anyone who's interested in the "write" direction.

Ignoring history makes us idiots. Feel free to cherry pick all establishment histories as the only valid ones.
>>
File: hyperreality.png (613KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
hyperreality.png
613KB, 720x540px
>>1847131

Its basically about how the idea that technology, or rather, *techne* (basically, expressions of instrumental reasoning in general), is 'value neutral' or merely an 'empty cup' that we fill is ultimately mistaken.

Like all things Techne have their own teleological tendencies, which may or may not be isometric with those of motile ape creatures, and which may infact influence and adapt the ape creatures to better fit them rather than just the other way around as most assume (ie, like how subsidiary teleologies can be 'captured' by and/or ultimately contribute to increasingly transcendent teleologies).
>>
>>1846230
Is a club evil if it's used to kill someone, or is the person who used it to kill evil?
>>
>>1846195
No that's absolutely nonsensical.
>>
>>1847303
a club has many uses
the Evil Engine only has a single use, which is to create Evil
>>
>>1847303
The club is evil as it was the physical manifestation of a man's desire to perform evil. Without the desire to perform evil, there would be no strip club.
>>
*dies of disease at 27
>>
>>1846195
Can an unapologetic nazi be inherently evil?
>>
>>1846195
computers only do what u tell em to m8
>>
I cannot understand how heideggers metaphysics doesn't collapse into solipsism

does dasein encounter other dasein? No! dasein just encounters people which are part of the meaningful 'body in a world' which dasein acts within/exists as.

where are other minds for dasein?
>>
File: image.png (22KB, 267x292px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
22KB, 267x292px
>>1846195
Technology is a tool. The actions of the wielder can be judged, but the tool is without vice or virtue.

>>1846230
Then just don't use it nigga.
>>
>>1846195
Real spooky thread m8.
>>
>>1846195
Yes.

http://www.robotictechnologyinc.com/images/upload/file/Overview%20Of%20EATR%20Project%20Brief%206%20April%2009.pdf
>>
Technology prevents Dasein from revealing truth. It conceals the possibility of revealing truth.

Knowledge, or techne, is unethical. Pragmatic domains of knowledge conceal face-to-face encounters.
>>
>>1847452
then the clenched fist is the ultimate manifestations of man's inherent evil.
>>
>>1846230
what are useful uses and what are not is still decided by moral/social judgements and not by inherent properties of the technology. You could see a rifle as being good at fullfilling the role of high-velocity small-payload metal transportation.
>>
>>1846195
Unironically, guns don't kill people, rappers do
>>
>>1848450
I always thought mitsein explains this. Basically that a dasein needs mitsein in order to be meaningful/human?
>>
>>1846195
>>1846195

Facebook is evil.
>>
File: Glados.jpg (290KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Glados.jpg
290KB, 1024x768px
>>1846195
Not until we invent an SAI which has the sole purpose of being as evil as possible.

To use the old phrasing, technology isn't evil, people are. Tech dundunuffin by itself... Yet.
>>
>>1846230
If you choose not use it, then it's no more evil than anything else which is never used. It's just a thing. The potential for a thing to be evil does not make it evil by default.
>>
It's not that technology is "inherently evil", it's that the criterion of usefulness or utility which is applied in justifying technological inventions is absolutely amoral. The principle of utility is justified by its usefulness, and simple expediency and an end/means schema becomes the guiding principle of all decision making.
>>
>>1846195
The dildo.

Its only function is sinful
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.