[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient Lithuanians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

Does the Romuva religion have any legitamacy or is it larping like other European '''neo-pagans" (aka Druids,wiccans, Asatru)?
>>
File: romuva.png (5KB, 137x170px) Image search: [Google]
romuva.png
5KB, 137x170px
>>1843605
Also general thread about Ancient/Pagan baltics. What is known about them?
recently became interested in them starting a game in Ck2. So please feed my autism
>>
File: Romuva.png (221KB, 1580x559px) Image search: [Google]
Romuva.png
221KB, 1580x559px
>>1843605
Pic related
>>
>>1843605

AY
>>
>>1843654
The updated wiki article seems to imply that the religion was suppressed after christianization but still practiced. Possible that their might be some practitioners that are directly continuing the practice?
>>
File: 1473376762545.jpg (398KB, 798x589px) Image search: [Google]
1473376762545.jpg
398KB, 798x589px
are their any genunine pagans left in Europe at all? I' saw some vice documentary about Pagan in some isolated parts of Russia but thats about it.
>>
who cares they got btfo by the teutonic order LMAO, paganshits BTFO
>>
>>1843654
Creating new practices is not LARPing. Every religious tradition starts somewhere.
>>
I'm not sure what this "LARPing" business is supposed to be. Were early Christians LARPing for creating new religious traditions? Or do they get a pass because they started early?
>>
Christians have been LARPing as Israelites forever. Fuck them.
>>
>>1844280
>>1844291
>>1844326
>Salty neopagan posters compare their copy-paste religion to one that is thousands if years old

Not even a christfag

Their actions and the reasons for doing them go back centuries. Its a little different from something put together from pagan fourms online.
>>
>>1843605
All religions are LARPing, some have been doing for a few thousand years, that is all.
>>
>>1844353
Christianity was once 0 years old, as was Judaism, which itself was subject to changing traditions (starting out first as polytheists, becoming monolatrists, and finally monotheists). Something being new doesn't invalidate a claim to divine truth.

Personally I feel polytheism focusing on a group of imperfect entities is considerably more plausible than a monotheism centering around a perfect entity.
>>
File: 1452976307479.jpg (71KB, 414x499px) Image search: [Google]
1452976307479.jpg
71KB, 414x499px
>>1844280
>>1844416
This t bh. I don't understand why people get so buttmud over new beliefs generating, as if a spiritual idea only has credence if it was generated in the bronze age
>>
>>1844432
Apparently 500 years is sufficient for 4chan, since Sikhism started in the 1500s. Though you still get flippant, ignorant posters claiming they just ripped off Islam and Hinduism
>>
>>1844431
>>1844326
>>1844291
>>1844280
I mean, the reason why religions created in the modern age have no credability is because it removes all the esoteric aura of mystery around it is all. Honestly I think its the best case for everyone knowing deep down inside that religion is bullshit
>inb4 le reddit fedora maymays
>>
>>1844440
I mean "ripped off" is kind of strong since all religions took ideas from others, but I thought Sikhism did infact get heavily influenced by both.
>>
>>1844444
I honestly think religions start out either from fairly cohesive philosophical principles and accumulate mystic weirdness as they go along (Neo-Platonism, which was highly influential on Christianity is an example) or start out as explanatory mechanisms for natural phenomena and coping mechanisms for the arbitrary nature of the universe but then accumulate mystical weirdness from there.
>>
File: checkest thou them.png (59KB, 170x170px) Image search: [Google]
checkest thou them.png
59KB, 170x170px
>>1844444
The prophet speaks!
>>
>>1844448
That's true, but that doesn't make it illegitimate as a religion, as some of the more ignorant of posters around here seem to claim. Regardless, that seems to be about the cutoff point for when 4chan will largely start to take claims of religious validity seriously. Even the Baha'i faith which has its roots in the 19th century seems to attract exponentially more of this flippant idiocy from 4chan posters.
>>
>>1844453
Kek confirmed for one true god
>>
File: DIKMegM.jpg (32KB, 445x656px) Image search: [Google]
DIKMegM.jpg
32KB, 445x656px
>>1844467
99% of posters are retarded. Do you honestly think that anyone on this Taiwanese doorhandle forum has any grasp on abstract concepts?
>>1844451
Similarely, I think Islamic thinkers used to incorporate Aristotelian logic and metaphysics before they went full durka sometime around the 12th century and degenerated to its present state
>>
>>1844444
This. It's the reason every modern day "prophet" is immediately classified as a scam artist/nutcase.
>>
>>1844280
>>1844291
>>1844326

You're paying too much credence to shitposters. Easy fix: think for five seconds and the problem goes away.
>>
>>1844788
To be fair, I'd imagine most of the old ones were too by people that didn't believe. We've had modern religious leaders that lots of people took seriously.

In fact, I'd wager in a society where there is any degree of religious competition, this initial stage of being ridiculed as being "obviously false" is just the start.

The true merit of these neo-pagan faiths as religions will only be seen in the next few centuries, in perhaps which they may take on the amount of cultural inertia required to establish a legitimate foothold.
>>
>>1844431
>Christianity was once 0 years old, as was Judaism,
Except both Christianity and Judaism were organic outgrowths from living mystical traditions that go back into the mists of prehistory.
Neo-paganism is not.

It's the difference between building a new temple from the ancient timbers of the old temple, and building an entirely new structure from freshly cut wood and calling it the old temple. One has the weight of history behind it, the other is the equivalent of Saddam Hussein's "reconstruction" of Babylon.
>>
>>1844857
>calling it the old temple

No one has done that, if you're referring to that temple in iceland.

Also there wasn't really anything organic about the outgrowth of Christianity. It has a very definitive "this has been created" point.
>>
File: germanic wp.jpg (376KB, 1600x814px) Image search: [Google]
germanic wp.jpg
376KB, 1600x814px
>>1843605
I think there's a bit of merit to some of them, that being those who treat it as a philosophy and way of life as opposed to a religion with all the bells and whistles.

I'm sure he's as popular here as he is elsewhere (not very) but Varg of Burzum and stabbed23timesinthebackinselfdefense fame has produced a number of books on germanic paganism that I'm told are well researched. While he's definitely a little our there, his YouTube videos are also pretty interesting.
>>
Abrahamist suck dicks
>>
>>1843617
If you played CK2, then you pretty much know all there is to know about them.
Savage, illiterate swamp-dwellers, a backwater that made even the Moskals look civilized, who made a living by being mercenaries and buttbuddies of the Rus' principalities. Started getting feisty after the mongols' yolk over the Rus crumbled. Most got teuton'd after the Prussians chimped out one time too many. Lithuanians actually got their shit together for one time in their entire history, centralized(kinda) and started expanding south-east into the Rus, while waging a two century total war against the Teutons. Then came Poland and Lithshitniggers got civilized. The End.

The """religion""" itself is nothing more than a glorified after-school activity, consisting of singing three and a half songs near a bonfire and a couple of folk tales, which most likely were created long after Christianization anyway.
>>
>>1844431
>>1844326
>>1844291
>>1845378
This is why your religion is merely LARPing you don't believe in it, you merely created it as something against christianity.

Also, christians really believe for their and die for it unlike you, you looks like angry teenagers imo.
>>
>>1844280
no but creating new practices and calling them old practices is. Nobody calls scientologists LARPers for example
>>
>>1845475
are you retarded?
>>
@1845975
I am Galindian
>>
>>1845975
>>1845975
That faggot is an insane pan-slavist polack LARPer. They think that pooland is somehow "the christ of europe" and all other peoples must be subjugated by polackistani "Living space".

The truth is that both romuva and rodnoverje are based on norse germanic heritage. Magyar paganism and zalmoxism is aswell.
>>
>>1845997
thats a lithuanian from /balt/, hes famed for his autism
>>
>>1843711
Yes, the Mari and Udmurts in Russia are the only ones.
>>
>>1845338
I'd say theres way more sources on Germanic paganism than any other pre-christian european belief with the exception of Hellenism and Romans
>>
>>1845475
>hating lithuanians this much
man you slavs sure are a contentious bunch
>>
>>1846027
Thanks based anon
>>
>>1845493
>This is why your religion is merely LARPing you don't believe in it, you merely created it as something against christianity.

I see you can't actually read. I already said that paganism (taken as allegory, as Christians do large chunks of their Bible) makes more sense than Plato-influenced monotheism. If I just wanted something against Christianity, I'd just be an atheist and focus on pointing how blatantly absurd the claims of Christianity are or how fucking vile some of its core precepts are.
>>
>>1846503
>slavs
Yeah, I wish.
At least we'd be somewhat closer to humans then.
>>
File: nw49ehILXX1rr7nd9o1_500.jpg (93KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
nw49ehILXX1rr7nd9o1_500.jpg
93KB, 500x333px
>>1846528
at least ur qts are qt
>>
We have some old pagan festivals still going on, but I think they're mostly made up by neo-pagans.

Russians killed our culture, however little of it still existed by the 1900s.
>>
>tfw no pagan gf

CHRISTIANS GET OUT
>>
I'm Lithuanian and I can assure you that Pagans are nothing but memesters.

We do however have some Old Prussians, and other descendants of old tribes, and these try to keep their culture alive. It's mostly lost however as you can imagine. We Catholic now.
>>
File: 1459216867_O2FXe07hRwg[1].jpg (118KB, 917x960px) Image search: [Google]
1459216867_O2FXe07hRwg[1].jpg
118KB, 917x960px
>>1846595
>dfw you will never penetrate a Pagan girls asshole with your glorious Teutonic Crusader cock
>>
>>1846612
>We Catholic now.
Esties are pretty atheist. Why don't you fedora like your baltic neighbors?
>>
File: 123124325346.jpg (234KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
123124325346.jpg
234KB, 1024x768px
>>1846624
Think it's because they got corrupt by the Protestant heathens, while we remained in the Polish sphere of influence, hence Catholicism.

I lived in a small village when I was a kid and the only landmark was our wooden church. Everyone went there on the Sunday. Good times.

Think it's slowly dying though. Catholicism was a way for us to express our national identity under the Soviet fucking shits, and now that we can do whatever we want it doesn't really server a purpose. I'll be a Catholic until I die though.
>>
File: 1470259687996.jpg (68KB, 964x606px) Image search: [Google]
1470259687996.jpg
68KB, 964x606px
>>1846651
Hill of Crosses is so eerily comfy.
>>
All neo-pagans are LARPing. Vast majority of the stuff we know of ancient european religions (apart from Greco-Roman polytheism) comes form christian sources.
>>1843711
There are people who practise witchcraft but even they don't worship the old gods anymore.
>>
>>1844280
Yeah but it's not an ancient religion if you just make stuff up.
>>1844291
No because they honestly thought they were worshipping a real god, something that can't be said of neo-pagans.
>>
>>1847174
>Yeah but it's not an ancient religion if you just make stuff up.

Yes, and?

>No because they honestly thought they were worshipping a real god, something that can't be said of neo-pagans.

Except it can, they just do the same thing Christians do with the absurd shit of their religion: claim it as allegorical. So are young earthers the only true Christians or something?
>>
File: PENETRATION YOU SAY.jpg (412KB, 700x451px) Image search: [Google]
PENETRATION YOU SAY.jpg
412KB, 700x451px
>>1846619
>>
If I may offer some insight as a Latvian.

Here, at least, you get various groups:

1) the LARPer pagans - that is to say, 11-13th century historical reenactors.

2) the 1920s cult pagans - essentially, following a religion based upon surviving folkloric knowledge, but most of the practices, half of the pantheon and all of the rituals were made up by their founder, and thus have little to do with the actual old beliefs.

Neither I would call pagan in any true sense.

What I will say is that most of the population is and remains pagan, without displaying it much (as with any religion nowadays).

That is to say, most claim belief in a higher power that is not strictly a religion, will venerate nature to an extent (oak trees especially - you just don't cut down an oak tree if you can avoid it), and Midsummers is the biggest festival we have - it is objectively bigger than Christmas. And most folks are much closer to nature than either in Western Europe or Russia - half the capital has a country house to escape to.

So I'd say we have a real layer of pagan still alive and kicking, but those actually chanting & wearing roughly woven linen are LARPing faggots.

Our current president identifies as Pagan, btw, and I am certain that in the "I like to be in nature, oak trees and beer" sense. Which I can say for myself as well.
>>
>>1846619
>Teuton is a sodomite
Should have known
>>
>>1847780
Oh, and all of our names for natural phenomenon come from the old names of the god.

Thunder is pērkons, for example (from the Indoeuropean god of thunder Perkwunos)
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.