[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is there a legit argument against cultural relativism? or the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1476633744098.png (628KB, 700x482px) Image search: [Google]
1476633744098.png
628KB, 700x482px
is there a legit argument against cultural relativism?

or the people that oposes cultural relativism are mostly butthurt white supremacists?
>>
Because you can't "judge a culture within the lens of that culture"

You're still getting a biased answer

Objectively speaking there's no "good" or "bad" cultures

But there's no reason a person CANNOT or SHOULD not judge them personally

I know for a fact that murder isn't inherently "wrong", but I personally abhor it
>>
That depends, do you believe in intrinsic morality?

If yes, than some cultures will be better at achieving certain goals than others.

If no, then cultural relativism is correct, but you should kill people who are different than you for shits and giggles and because you can take their stuff.
>>
>>1842660
I was with you till the last bit of non sequitor

There's no inherent reason one should rape and kill people

You're deriving an ought from an is

Besides, humans are social creatures

We don't like harming one another as a general rule unless we have some sort of mental issue or conflict rooted in immediate survival
>>
I like looking from an evolutionary perspective. Genes aren't inherently good or bad but rather their success depends on circumstance. Different evolutionary strategies prevail in different situations. So too can this be said of culture. Nature decides, the red queen's race never ends.
>>
>>1842654
I'm a White Nationalist and absolutely support cultural relativism. A modern liberal view is that slavery is the ultimate evil next to "racism and sexism." White ancestors were doing nothing wrong purchasing enslaved Africans for their plantations.
>>
>>1842654
Best cultures and the ones most people want to move towards
>>
>>1842654
>butthurt white supremacists
When was the last time you listened to the mass media?

Moralism is omnipresent in the politically correct. The ideologies of egalitarianism and "acceptance" are rapidly revealing themselves to be as supremacist as islam. If you go against them even just a little you are confronted with some the most over the top moralization on the planet. You didn't mention this explicitly, but it's very bizarre to think of "white supremacists" when taking about this subject. If anything, the infamous "white supremacists" are the ones that value cultural relativism.

>>1842670
>There's no inherent reason one should rape and kill people
There is no inherent reason for 90% of what you do if you think about it hard enough.
I took a stroll this evening and it had no fucking reason. I trigger people on the internet posting evil frog pictures only for the keks.
>>
>>1842670
>There's no inherent reason one should rape and kill people

What if they want to get laid and get free stuff?

I think human nature is much more predatory than the citizens of modern industrial democracies really believe.
>>
>>1842737
Not an inherent reason

You could just as easily choose to wander around as a guru
>>
File: stirner.gif (8KB, 180x140px) Image search: [Google]
stirner.gif
8KB, 180x140px
>>1842660
>should
>>
File: 01.jpg (214KB, 904x1355px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
214KB, 904x1355px
>>1842654
Cultural relativism can clash with ideals besides those of colonialists and white supremacists. A text book example is female circumcision.

http://home.sandiego.edu/~baber/gender/culturalrelativism.html

Contrast the normative (moral judgments) with the positive (facts).

Anyone reasonably well informed will automatically take into account people's beliefs and how this affects their behavior as they would any other fact, they don't need to hold up cultural relativism like some sort of ideal to do this. They might decide it is more utilitarian to promote a safe humane alternative to circumcision as opposed to banning it outright and forcing the practice underground, but this isn't a purely normative judgment. It is possible to hold the position that circumcision is wrong and also accept that regulated circumcision is the lesser of 2 evils.

So cultural relativism is pointless in the positive and contradictory in the normative.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.