[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memes aside, how good are the Assassins Creed games at giving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13

File: header-game-index_268801.jpg (579KB, 1200x500px) Image search: [Google]
header-game-index_268801.jpg
579KB, 1200x500px
Memes aside, how good are the Assassins Creed games at giving an impression of the periods they're set in?

Clearly each setting has it's fantastical elements, but in terms of city architecture, musical scores, historical figures, setting and the "feel" of places such as Golden Age Damascus, and Renaissance Italy; are they worth playing through for a history buff?

One thing on my mind is Ubisoft's apparent progressive bias that /v/ likes to parrot about.
>>
>>1841600
>Memes aside, how good are the Assassins Creed games at giving an impression of the periods they're set in?
Pretty shitty in most regards.
>>
>>1841606
>Pretty shitty in most regards.
elaborate?
>>
>>1841600
Architecture is spot on.

But after Assassins Creed 1, Ubisoft threw out historical costumes.
>We need the youth market.
>LET US MAKE STUPID RPG KNIGHTS.
>>
File: ottopunch.jpg (72KB, 763x757px) Image search: [Google]
ottopunch.jpg
72KB, 763x757px
>Paradox thread
>now this shit
fuckin' poofter
>>
>>1841607
Arms and armour are historically inaccurate, the personalities and factions have next to nothing in common with their historical counterparts, neither do the themes and topics, the dialogues and points of view, etc.

You're better off pinpointing the view things that might be historically accurate than pointing out what isn't.
>>
>>1841608
Is the first one worth it for exploitative purposes then?
How bad are the "rpg knights" in the sequels?
>>
File: Assassins Creed 1 knight.png (239KB, 270x652px) Image search: [Google]
Assassins Creed 1 knight.png
239KB, 270x652px
>>1841620
This is a knight from Asscreed 1. Fairly sensible and somewhat accurate if not for the bit on his legs (he would be wearing a chainmail hose).
>>
File: Knight assassins creed ii.png (323KB, 638x705px) Image search: [Google]
Knight assassins creed ii.png
323KB, 638x705px
>>1841620
This is Asscreed 2's "We want the JRPG Toddler Audience" knight.
>>
Only the first game. Others contain too many inaccuracies and are only good for those tiny bits of history put in the library or whatever. I mean the codex entries that tell a bit of history behind famous monuments, buildings and the like.

AssCreed is a no-no for historical personalities, tho. They are all portrayed in a highly fictionalized manner.
>>
File: literal whitewashing.jpg (33KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
literal whitewashing.jpg
33KB, 600x330px
I would have watched the AC movie but all the whitewashing is too much for my taste.
>>
>>1842197
>False flagging /pol/ack is still here.

Go off and neck yourself.
>>
File: kutt.jpg (39KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
kutt.jpg
39KB, 600x593px
>>1842207
wow, rude

What is it with you white people and always instigating violence?
>>
>>1842207
Don't engage.
>>
>>1841657
what part of this costume is right?
>>
>>1842250
Do you really need me to say it?

The codpiece.
>>
>>1841600

>architecture

Probably decent, if a bit prettied up.

>musical scores

Hahahaha.

>historical figures

Even ignoring the nonsensical Templars/Assassins affiliation shit? Still simplistic and revisionistic "good guys and bad guys as we need them" crap.

>setting and the feel

Sometimes good, usually revisionist and replete with 21st century morals and ethics.

For a history buff, playing Ass Creed games can only be done by turning your brain off and never ever ever reading the little info captions.
>>
Only the first game was really accurate on the matter, and gave a birth to meme "Assassin Creed Clothing". But gameplay is not well in the first one. Other than the story, it was plain.
>>
>>1841608
Don't know about the later games but the architecture in the first one is pretty anachronistic. A lot of stuff looks more like Mamluke than Fatimid/Ayyubid architecture, the Dome of the Rock looks like it does today (golden dome, covered in tilework) rather than the austere Byzantine look it had in the middle ages and Masyaf looks like some weird-ass Gothic castle, among other things.
>>
I've only played the Italian one (I can't remember which one that is) I enjoyed it and really liked the archetecture. It's a lot more a "hey they have that guy in the game" feeling rather than "wow, this is so accurate". It's a goofy game that gets some things right, and quite a bit incorrect.
Has anyone played the piracy one? I'm a giant sea shanty geek and I hear they have a pretty good number of them in the game.
>>
>>1841609
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
File: Knight.jpg (49KB, 525x700px) Image search: [Google]
Knight.jpg
49KB, 525x700px
>>1842197
>Whitewashing
Spanish people are white
Leave your cave and explore the world troll
>>
File: spaniards are white.jpg (21KB, 349x327px) Image search: [Google]
spaniards are white.jpg
21KB, 349x327px
>>1842559
jajajajaj viva el profeta
>>
>>1842432
The naval combat in the fourth one is pretty good desu senpai, it's mostly attractive cuase there is nothing like it but other than that the rest of the game is ok. Yes there's a bunch of sea shanties.
>>
>>1842582
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
File: 6748f8ea516944e171a49983c7f5e696.jpg (268KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
6748f8ea516944e171a49983c7f5e696.jpg
268KB, 1600x1131px
>>1842582
>What was the spanish Inquisition
>Roach education
Nice try Mohammed
>>
File: el fuego.jpg (11KB, 236x346px) Image search: [Google]
el fuego.jpg
11KB, 236x346px
>>1842600
>pure European stock even after almost 700 years of arab occupation
>no moorish blood here, amigo
>>
>>1841600
>fringe cult of proto-terrorists is the good guys
>honorable order of warrior monks are the bad guys

Who thought this would be a good idea?
>>
Everyone's too fucking liberal.

You wouldn't see a 18th century pirate or native american having any qualms about slaves but these guys do
>>
File: SALT.jpg (19KB, 326x263px) Image search: [Google]
SALT.jpg
19KB, 326x263px
>>1842605
Don't worry Muhammad your just salty about Lepanto and how shitty your empire was.
>>
>>1842645
>You wouldn't see a 18th century pirate or native american having any qualms about slaves
There were people back then that had qualms about slaves
>>
>>1842605
Hi there!

>>
File: 1456776901863.jpg (54KB, 484x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456776901863.jpg
54KB, 484x720px
>>1841600
Assassin's creed 1 was reasonably accurate( with the exception of Saladin flying Turkish flags, wtf was that shit) .

None of the following ones are anywhere near being actual depictions
>>
>>1844641
Well Assassins Creed 1 was based on a book
>>
>>1844641
I noticed that, Islam didnt adopt moon and star till Ottomans right?
>>
>>1843966
Yeah pirate's were well known for their bleeding heart sensibilities towards the people they were selling and buying.
Oh wait.
>>
>>1841600
Assassins Creed is what got me interested in history.
>>
The only one that's blatantly wrong is Rome, it looks more like what it was like almost a century later. Still interesting though.

But otherwise AC games are amazing for historical tourism. It varies though, Paris was a lot better than London for example.
>>
>>1845500
Though I was actually thinking of the world design here. Historical figures are pretty inaccurate so don't expect much from the main story.
>>
>>1845440
Moon and Star was a Byzantine symbol originally, then it became an Ottoman symbol, today it's a Turkish one. People say that it's an Islamic symbol because it's on a couple of flags but it's not really
>>
File: 1476362140579.png (10KB, 215x200px) Image search: [Google]
1476362140579.png
10KB, 215x200px
One thing they actually get really spot on are the voices, the dialects of the time periods feel amazingly authentic.

One thing I didn't like was how in Black Flag, Anne Bonny spoke English when we know she didn't speak it in real life. Plus in Rogue, Shay and Liam speaking English would be pretty unlikely, especially considering that 'Shay Patrick Cormac' is a Gaeltacht name form.
>>
>>1845756
You wot, everyone speaks English in AC.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.