[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lobotomy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: index.jpg (6KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 252x200px
For people without the possibility of rehabilitation and reintegration back into society normally could a lobotomy be a possible solution?
There's the obvious economic benefits. It costs a few hundred a day for every inmate to be kept alive and after subtracting that there's the tax that's taken from whatever they earn when they're out.
The obvious issue is the ethics behind it. The way I see it while it could be morally questionable to remove someone's personality is it truly that terrible when it's that personality that's keeping them behind bars for the rest of their life? You can perhaps argue that you are removing an essential part of their psyche but without its removal they won't even have the possibility to use it wholly. To remove or not to remove, that is the question.
>>
Why not just execute them instead?
>>
Because how can they work if they're dead. It also seems more ethically correct. I mean you're not technically killing them so maybe the people opposed to capital punishment won't be opposed to lobotomies.
>>
>>1840668
>Lobotomy
>More humane than execution
You're delusional. Removal from this mortal plane vs. being turned into a walking shell of a person? Yeah gee, tough fucking choice.
>>
File: ahaa.png (8KB, 599x605px) Image search: [Google]
ahaa.png
8KB, 599x605px
I think I'll leave this decision to medical professionals with decades of accumulated knowledge and experience scrutinized and held to high scientific standards by yet more medical professionals with decades of accumulated knowledge and experience.
>>
>>1840668
> How can they work if they're dead
Wait... Can you really work after being lobotomized?
>>
On what basis does anyone have the right to take away someone's entire existence cause they are 'expensive' or 'too hard' to manage? Why shouldn't I do this for all those troublesome people who I don't agree with? Or those political opponents that don't like my policy? Lobotomy is a death sentence to any possible future and who can justify dooming someone to live life as a dead person. Are you saying they should damned forever without even a chance?
>>
>>1840684
This is a hypothetical situation in which there is no possibility of rehabilitation. Nobody really knows what it is like to be lobotomized except those who have been. So which is better, to be in a small cell the rest of your life; however long that is, or to be lobotomized?
>>
>>1840655
Chairman Yang, you have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>1840673
Is it though? Do you think those that have been lobotomized are suffering? Is that worse than being decimated and removed completely from existence?
>>
>>1840689
Just give person a choice between options, to be fair.
>>
>>1840689
>Nobody really knows what it is like to be lobotomized except those who have been.

That's not even a true statement. The personality is destroyed via lobotomy. There is no person there anymore, just a highly cognizant animal.

And as for you robo-worker idea, lobotomy throws that out the window because those that are lobotomized lose interest in pretty much everything and have no desire to do anything. If you wanted them to work you'd have to force them to work, so you (the slave driver) are not really any better off

>So which is better, to be in a small cell the rest of your life; however long that is, or to be lobotomized?

I'll take the cell every time.
>>
>>1840681
Yet psychology can't define a tangible set of symptoms to any of their 'mental illnesses'. It's all still a working progress on how to define chemical imbalances in the brain to sudo science of Freud. If you can't define something it really doesn't exist.
>>
>>1840696
>Do you think those that have been lobotomized are suffering?
Google Rosemary Kennedy.

>Is that worse than being decimated and removed completely from existence?
Death is basically falling into a deep and dreamless sleep.
>>
>>1840705
I'm not saying we don't know what happens I'm saying we don't know how they feel. It is of course subjective and while on the outset it might seem like hell. To those that have had the operation they probably don't have a care in the world.
>>
File: 1451433719098.gif (2MB, 390x277px) Image search: [Google]
1451433719098.gif
2MB, 390x277px
>>1840706
>working progress
>chemical imbalances
>sudo science

You really can't make this shit up anymore
>>
>>1840706
>psych major trying to validate his degree by false flagging
>>
>>1840720
A hormonal imbalance is quantifiable. A set of vague emotional feelings labelled together to be called a illness is not quantifiable.
>>
>>1840706
All diagnosis for mental illnesses are based on behaviors which are affected by the chemicals which we do understand fairly well.
>>
>>1840718

That's what I'm trying to get across, there is no 'they' anymore, no ego. It's gone, dead. You've effectively killed the person but the greater body remains functional
>>
>>1840724
My entire argument is against physiology being called a science.

I must have argued poorly.
>>
>>1840706
> psychology can't define a tangible set of symptoms
Psychiatry does it, not fucking psychology.
>>
>>1840738
>Science is understanding how the Universe functions.
>Physiology is understanding how biological systems function.
>Biological systems are part of the Universe.
>Therefore we can conclude physiology is a science.
>>
Anyway we're getting of track here.

>>1840735
But then how is that worse than the capital punishment or being locked in a cage like an animal for the rest of your life.
>>
>>1840733
Yet those behaviors are so subjective with no control group that can be ever formed cause we are all so different people. Don't use neuro science to justify psychology's existence. Neuro science can establish a control group of which a parameter of a normal chemical balance can be established.
>>
>>1840747

With capital punishment the sleep finally comes, and the body can be molested no more. If you find yourself locked up for the rest of your life then you have simply failed to suicide by cop. It's possible to kill yourself in prison btw, if you can't find inner freedom.

Either way it's preferable to being a literal zombie.
>>
>>1840655
Why not just euthanise them if you're going to such lengths?
>>
>>1840759
I don't even know what to say.
The reduction of the seriousness of death..
The implication of molestation as a result of a lobotomy.
The suggestion the cops willing murder people.
>>
>>1840774
Well that's always a possibility but I think it's important to keep all possibilities in mind. Perhaps the old method of lobotomy was ineffective. Maybe with advancing neurological science it could be possible to even pin point the part of the prefrontal-cortex associated with the undesired thoughts and it could be removed without affecting other parts.
>>
>>1840775
>The reduction of the seriousness of death

No I'm being very serious, I was just waxing poetically. Death is literally nothing to be afraid of.

>The implication of molestation as a result of a lobotomy

I didn't mean to imply sexual molestation

>The suggestion the cops willing murder people.

They do. If you've committed a crime that you know you're either going to be put in prison for life or put to death, wouldn't just cutting to the chase and saying to the cops "You're not taking me alive. Better shoot me before I shoot you" make things easier for you?

This is all hypothetical anon, I'm not saying that I'm nonchalant about death, but we're talking about serious things here.

To ME lobotomy is a fate worse than death, but because you are gone but you have no rest.
>>
>>1840820
If you threaten a cop and they defend themselves they're not murdering you and if you really want to kill yourself why put it on another human to do it. That's selfish and just ruins the reputation of police even further.
>>
>>1840655
I's support lobotomy once scientists can actually change a person's mind by physically contacting their brain without turning them into vegtables.
>>
Medical professional here (CNS). Ive met plenty of seniors from the fields of psychiatry and special education who were still around when they did this to people. It's a barbaric practice and while I don't agree with capital punishment I think death is more humane. There's no guaranteed specific outcome with lobotomy, you might completely transform a persons personality, make them more agressive and destructive just as you might turn them into a vegetable. The cases that became docile but functional were the reason the practice became prevalent in the first place, well, that and good advertising. I believe it's the duty of a civilized society to provide humane rehabilitation (or sequestering) of criminals and problematic individuals, and accept the costs.
>>
>>1840655
Execution is more humane than lobotomy.
>>
>>1840718
The exact same description could be applied to being executed.
>>
File: yang.jpg (13KB, 178x214px) Image search: [Google]
yang.jpg
13KB, 178x214px
>>1840691
t. drone
>>
>>1840691
t.
>>
File: top lal.png (202KB, 268x320px) Image search: [Google]
top lal.png
202KB, 268x320px
>>1841264
yang pls
>>
>>1840655

dude lobotomizing someone would be expensive. its highly disabling. most likely many wnot be able to work or even look after themselves properly. theyll have to be looked after in an institution just like prison. also sometimes lobotomy doesnt even have a big effect. theres some guy who wrote a book about it because he was lobotomised as a kid and he didnt even realise til he was in his 30s. if youre capable of writing a book then yeah.
>>
>>1840749
neuroscience is pretty much as bad as psychoology in terms of controlling variables dude.
>>
File: dreku.jpg (34KB, 419x354px) Image search: [Google]
dreku.jpg
34KB, 419x354px
>>1840655
>For people without the possibility of rehabilitation and reintegration back into society normally could a lobotomy be a possible solution?
Isn't that what Western gubernends are doing to white people already?
>>
>>1840731
Of course it is. Just like QI, emotions and personality are subjects of psychometrics. And they are studied together with their neural correlates.
>>
>>1842413
>Implying you are Not a Diaspora roach
>>
>>1841301
>implying I should care about your suffering
>>
>>1840868
>if you really want to kill yourself why put it on another human to do it.
If you really want to kill someone why not flat out kill them instead of making them a shell
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.