[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

yfw hoplite warfare and anything resembling it is gone forever.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

File: QDXG0ul.jpg (54KB, 864x302px) Image search: [Google]
QDXG0ul.jpg
54KB, 864x302px
>>
File: Cynoscephalae.jpg (206KB, 900x653px) Image search: [Google]
Cynoscephalae.jpg
206KB, 900x653px
Buh-bye!
>>
>>1839073
is this b8, m8
>>
File: SILVERSHIELDS.jpg (6KB, 160x210px) Image search: [Google]
SILVERSHIELDS.jpg
6KB, 160x210px
>>1839090

It wasn't, but now it is.
>>
>>1839073

how did phalanxes fare against pila barrages?

surely they wouldn't have been deflected so easily, nor would the hoplons do particularly well stopping them, so there had to be some loses, so how did a phalanx react to having members dead?
>>
>>1839116

Sellies were fuckin overpowered i sware on me mum m8.
>>
>>1839917

I'm sure the pila probably took out more than a few hoplons/phalangites, given how heavy pila were, but what really screwed up the phalanxes would have been rough terrain and (at Cynoscephalae and many other battles) being flanked.

And the quincunx formation seems like a natural phalanx trap.

(Also, the Romans apparently used fire arrows against the Epirotes at Beneventum in 275 BC.)
>>
File: absolutely barbaric.jpg (180KB, 600x709px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely barbaric.jpg
180KB, 600x709px
>>1839053
>Using such a static formation

What is this? Sumeria? Get with the times, old man
>>
>>1839053
That's not a hoplite though.
>>
>>1840099
>And the quincunx formation seems like a natural phalanx trap.

well yeah, Romans started as hellenic-styled fighters and got their asses kicked by mountain people before venturing out of Italy.

having a bunch of guys hurt or drop dead with a huge javelin would disrupt a phalanx a lot i'd believe, Pilas were weighted and weren't as easy to deflect as a wood-only one, i doubt the pike density would help a lot.

also, did anyone try to throw nets at the pikes? sorta like the ones used by Retirarius Gladiators
>>
>>1840175

I don't understand why the manly Greek men didn't just start man throwing their big manly pikes everywhere.

It confuses and infuriates me. This question of nets and pikes, would they work better if they were coated in tar and lit on fire?
>>
File: Thureophoroi.jpg (189KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Thureophoroi.jpg
189KB, 640x480px
You guys realize that the greeks had more infantry than just the pikes and hoplites, right?

Thureophoroi was very common and were a lot like the roman legionaries. Except most used spears and could stifen up into a phalanxe or fight loosely or skirmish with javelins, depending on the situation.

Pikes and to a lesser degree, hoplits are unstoppable from the front but the romans flanked them and got past the pikes. The Thureophoroi would have been used to stop flank attacks.

Greek generals needed to git good. It wasn't that hoplites/pikemen were bad.
>>
File: hannibal-barca-elphehant.jpg (70KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
hannibal-barca-elphehant.jpg
70KB, 500x338px
>>1840175

>aving a bunch of guys hurt or drop dead with a huge javelin would disrupt a phalanx a lot i'd believe,

Skirmishing against other Hellenes or barbarians always involved an exchange of arrow, javelin or missile fire. The disruption in lines from pila would not be something the greeks weren't trained for.

What did them in was that they were supposed to function as part of a combined force and they were simply not used this way when facing romans. Decades of greek inner fighting and social upheaval after Alexander's campaign had created a pan-hellenic social order where Pezhetairoi became a new landowning class of greeks that spread across the Aegean. These Pezhetairoi influenced greek martial culture to favour them in the wars that the greeks fought - and these were almost exclusively against each other. Thus, the Pezhetairoi became the main ingredient of any greek army and all other arms fell in relative decline.

By the time romans came along, the Pezhetairoi had cemented their status as THE Greek warriors of hellenic warfare. They consisted more than 50% of the armed forces, when in Alexander's army they had been perhaps closer to 30% or even less. In this way the greek way of war became much less mobile than what it had once been under Alexander. I can't remember if it was at Cynosephalae or at Pydna (or both), but the cavalry arm didn't even engage the enemy which is just a recipe for utter disaster. The Pezhetairoi can't fight on their own - and couldn't even under Alexander. Remember Gaugamela? It was the cavalry that delivered the vital blow to the persians, while the Pezhetairoi was a tool to pin the persians down. The pikemen almost buckled under the persian onslaught in that battle. They were not expected to hold the enemy for extended periods of time and whenever they did, they buckled. As at Gaugamela, Pydna and Cynosephalae.

When supported by a combined arm of mobile forces, the Pezhetairoi fared much better against Romans. See Pyrrhus.
>>
>>1839053
>im gonna poke you with my sword m8
>get rekt scrub me and the lads have longer sticks
wew
>>
File: riotpolice.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
riotpolice.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
>>1839053
>>
>>1841943
Anyone have the video of chinese riot police using roman tactics for crowd control?
>>
>>1842071
That is Korean. And an exercise.

China tends to just shoot you.
>>
File: Antiochos_III.jpg (871KB, 2165x3185px) Image search: [Google]
Antiochos_III.jpg
871KB, 2165x3185px
Chariots + Phalanx = Dead romans
>>
File: GAPNVg1.jpg (257KB, 708x826px) Image search: [Google]
GAPNVg1.jpg
257KB, 708x826px
>>1842115

u serious m8?
>>
>>1842732
They got lucky
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.