[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should a film about the Iliad or Trojan War ever be tried again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: trojanhorse.jpg (565KB, 1301x923px) Image search: [Google]
trojanhorse.jpg
565KB, 1301x923px
Should a film about the Iliad or Trojan War ever be tried again?
>>
>>1838477

No.

They'd inevitably make it a big action flick gearing up to the fight between Achilles and Hektor and miss the actual point.

I would like to see a good psychodrama of Achilles in his tent, but that'll never get made.
>>
Troy was a good movie.
>>
Not by amerifats.
>>
>>1838527

Nah
>>
>>1838532
Name a country that makes better cinema
>>
Amerilards may start with good intentions however it usually turns into a shit action flick real quick
>>
>>1838486

>Implying that the Iliad isn't the ancient equivalent of a big action flick
>implying that isn't the point
>>
File: Diomedes_Louvre_Ma890_n5.jpg (4MB, 2592x3872px) Image search: [Google]
Diomedes_Louvre_Ma890_n5.jpg
4MB, 2592x3872px
>>1838477
How come Diomedes and Pentheselia are never in Iliad movies?
>>
How would the film be made in the current political climate?

What would be the casting decisions?
>>
>>1838590
They'd just increase the prominence of Memnon and Penthesilea and stick them back into the actual Illiad narrative, which I wouldn't really mind. Memnon would either be Idris Elba or the guy who played Black Panther, and Penthesilea would be either the actress from the Hunger Games or Scarlett Johansson.
>>
>>1838654
Who would be Achilles?
>>
>>1838551

It isn't. It is quite literally in the first line where you hear a plea for inspiration to tell the tale of the conflict between Achilles and Agamemnon.

If it was an action flick, you would be building up to the big fight between Achilles and Hektor, not undercutting it every chance you get.
>>
>>1838654
Penthesilea should be an actual /fit/ actress, but I'm not sure if one exists
>>
>>1838721
The conflict between Achilles and Agamemnon is really just an expression of Achilles' fundamental personality problems and the warrior culture in general. That particular issue kicks the story off, but it's much more about the progression and consequences of war, and coming to terms with it. The fight between Achillies and Hector is pretty important for highlighting those consequences.
>>
>>1838486
>They'd inevitably make it a big action flick gearing up to the fight between Achilles and Hektor and miss the actual point.
>I would like to see a good psychodrama of Achilles in his tent, but that'll never get made.
what about if the illiad was made as a video game, I'd image it woud be harder to fuck up since current games actually focus on narrative.
>>
>>1838713
Brad Pitt
>>
>>1838778
>The conflict between Achilles and Agamemnon is really just an expression of Achilles' fundamental personality problems and the warrior culture in general.

I am far from convinced that's the case; if anything, I would argue it's a representation of a clash of a warrior culture that Achilles represents (I should be in charge because I'm the best and everyone acknowledges it) and a more "civilized" structure based around hierarchical rule. (Agamemnon should be in charge because he is, after all, the king of the chief city in the alliance) I'm not even so sure it's about "personality problems" at all, so much as two institutional figures butting heads.

>That particular issue kicks the story off, but it's much more about the progression and consequences of war, and coming to terms with it.

Then why have the funeral games, and Achilles, one by one, letting people cheat at the events in honor of his fallen comrade? Why end it on a plea of Priam to return his son's body, a plea that by all rights should offend Achilles mightily? That issue is the central one of the drama, and it ends with Achilles swallowing his pride, deciding not to act like a law unto himself even though he can get away with it.

>The fight between Achillies and Hector is pretty important for highlighting those consequences.

The fight doesn't highlight any of those consequences. It's all the stuff before and after the fight that does so; Patrokles dying, how Achilles dishonors the body and recovers his suit of armor. The battle itself has no tension to it, resolves nothing.
>>
>>1838784

>>1838784

I would imagine it would be tough to do. How would you involve player input as to whether or not Achilles resolves his issues about command and personal responsibility? Unless you had a dynasty warriors style beat em up punctuated with people trying to get Achilles to come out of his tent, I don't see how you'd make it work, and even that isn't really having a game about Achilles's psychodrama, it's hearing about it in between sessions of stabbing people.
>>
>>1838849
There's already a Dynasty Warriors-ish Trojan War game
>>
>>1838865
That doesn't work though. Not unless it stops for every mook you kill, detailing the ignoble way they die, and the family and friends they leave behind.
>>
>>1838888
The best way to frame it would probably involve exploration portions with Telemachus asking people to tell him about the war, and "action" scenes are flashbacks starring the storyteller (or a proxy) narrated in the style of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.
>>
>>1838554
Diomedes would inevitably overshadow Achilles as the star.

>Youngest of the kings
>Most military experience
>Third biggest fleet
>Second best fighter, only behind Achilles
>Not only fought but injured Gods in direct battle
>Still one of the most humble and noble mofos around

Diomedes is too based to be given screentime. He would completely steal Achilles' thunder
>>
>>1839018
And he's righteous as fuck. He was the only one who thought Achilles should be punished for killing Thersites.
>>
>>1838865

What's it called?
>>
>>1839059
Warriors: Legends of Troy. Wasn't super accurate though, Paris wasn't a pussy fucboi
>>
>>1838543
Any other
>>
>>1839076
Ah yes, who could forget Albania and their mastery of the arts of cinematography?
>>
>>1839018

>Second best fighter, only behind Achilles

Ajax>Diomedes.
>>
>>1839125
But Diomedes beat Ajax
>>
>>1839146

No he didn't. The one time they go at it, at the funeral games, Diomedes starts going for kill strikes and the rest of the guys pull them apart while it's still in contest.
>>
>>1839155
>read Diomedes was whooping that ass and everybody saved Ajax's life

Yea, Diomedes > Ajax.
>>
>>1839155
In any case, you didn't see Ajax going toe to toe with Olympians
>>
>>1839160

No, that's

>Diomedes being a psycho and being yanked away by his bros

Not winning a fight. There is absolutely nothing in the text to imply that Diomedes had the upper hand.

>>1839165

You do, however, see Ajax performing better against the one fight they have in common, namely Hektor.

Besides, it's not like Ares actually fights back, he just tries to run as soon as it becomes clear that Diomedes can see him and is trying to stab him.
>>
>>1839125
>REEEEEE, WHY DOES ODYSSEUS GET THE ARMOR INSTEAD OF ME
>>
>>1838477
Odyssey > Iliad
>>
>>1839125
>>1839155

You're talking shit. The fight was to first blood and Diomedes drew first blood with a shot to the neck after Ajax failed to connect a shot.

Diomedes was considered the winner and took the prize.
>>
>>1839176
>Nothing to suggest that Diomedes had the upper hand

Except they literally stopped the fight because they thought Diomedes was going to kill Ajax.

Dumbass.
>>
File: BasedMel.jpg (59KB, 395x594px) Image search: [Google]
BasedMel.jpg
59KB, 395x594px
>>1838477
>Should a film about the Iliad or Trojan War ever be tried again?

Yes by Based Mel.
>>
>>1838784
Dibs on Ajax.
>>
>>1839193

I'm sorry, I should have clarified, I meant solely in terms of fighting ability. Diomedes is clearly the more mature and intelligent of the two.

>>1839234

Wrong.

http://classics.mit.edu/Homer/iliad.23.xxiii.html

>Forthwith uprose great Ajax the son of Telamon, as also mighty Diomed son of Tydeus. When they had put on their armour each on his own side of the ring, they both went into the middle eager to engage, and with fire flashing from their eyes. The Achaeans marvelled as they beheld them, and when the two were now close up with one another, thrice did they spring forward and thrice try to strike each other in close combat. Ajax pierced Diomed's round shield, but did not draw blood, for the cuirass beneath the shield protected him; thereon the son of Tydeus from over his huge shield kept aiming continually at Ajax's neck with the point of his spear, and the Achaeans alarmed for his safety bade them leave off fighting and divide the prize between them

>>1839248

Because you don't start using lethal techniques in what is supposed to be a non-lethal fight between your #2 and #3 guy.
>>
>>1838477
>Kieth Thompson art
fucking impeccable taste OP
>>
>>1839295
Sounds like Ajax was going for the kill too
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.