[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: undeservedly obscure historical figures. Like Epaminondas:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: Epaminondas.png (664KB, 527x686px) Image search: [Google]
Epaminondas.png
664KB, 527x686px
ITT: undeservedly obscure historical figures.

Like Epaminondas:

>Led Thebes to hegemony over Greece
>Rekt the Spartans at Leuctra
>Liberated the Messenian helots
>Then sank into obscurity mostly thanks to the loss of Plutarch's life of him
>>
Nabis of Sparta. Known to us chiefly by the accounts of his enemies. Attempted to restore the glory and power of Sparta.
>>
>>1835650
I learned about him in school. I remembered his name better than the Peloponesian war generals, although I can't figure out why. It was only later that I learned that the Holy Band was literally a bunch of faggots, so it can't be that.
>>
File: Prinz_Eugene_of_Savoy.jpg (959KB, 1892x2340px) Image search: [Google]
Prinz_Eugene_of_Savoy.jpg
959KB, 1892x2340px
Eugene of Savoy is not nearly as popularly remembered as he should be.

>Take part in the great siege of Vienna
>Inflict an absolutely crushing defeat on the Turks at Zenta
>Repeatedly defeat the French in the war of Spanish succession
>Annihilate the Turks again in another war
>Keep the Habsburg dominions from getting picked apart by European coalition diplomacy
>Teach Frederick the Great about war

He almost single-handedly saw Austria through the early 18th century, and made all kinds of gains for them, while dealing with the Empire's poor organisation and superior enemies.
>>
>>1835650
Anacharsis
>barbarian greek philosopher
>not barbarian
>not greek
>comically naive
>killed by his own family
I really wish more greek writing survived so we could see what he used to write.
>>
>>1836514
Plus, he lent his name to my favorite French (actually German) revolutionary, Anacharsis Cloots.
>>
File: 22449_4085278.jpg (204KB, 611x768px) Image search: [Google]
22449_4085278.jpg
204KB, 611x768px
In 622 the greatest war of the ancient world raged through what remained of the Roman Empire, fuelled in part by the clash of religions and in part by the climatic effects of the immense eruption of the Krakatoa volcano. With the tide of barbarism beating against the Christian stronghold of Constantinople, the future of Christendom hung by the thinnest of threads as immense armies of Persians and Avars overran the Balkans and the Near East.

Like Washington at Valley Forge, the embattled emperor Heraclius faced overwhelming defeat, his army a pitiful remnant of the once invincible Roman legions. Yet, in one of the most astounding turn-abouts in military history, Heraclius launched the first Christian crusade, a blitzkrieg to regain "The True Cross" on which Christ was crucified from the Persian fire-worshippers who had stolen it from the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

In 627 Heraclius swept through Syria, Mesopotamia and Southern Armenia, recapturing all Byzantine territory and fortresses and forcing the surrender of the Persian army cut off in Chalcedon.

At the battle of Nineveh, in December 627 not only did Heraclius defeat a much larger Persian army, but killed its general in single combat.

Ironically, it was Heraclius who pioneered the concept of "jihad" – soon to be borrowed by Mohammed and turned against the Christian West
>>
File: Nooruddin-Zengi-5A.jpg (22KB, 218x282px) Image search: [Google]
Nooruddin-Zengi-5A.jpg
22KB, 218x282px
>father is a absolute tyrant
>come in power, and instead of following in his father footsteps decides to be a good person
>rejuvenates the cities he takes with building programs
>respected by crusader and muslim alike
>finally unite egypt and syria, bringing one step closer to jerusalem reconquest.
>install his friend's (saladin) uncle as emir of egypt
>but when saladin comes into power he doesn't want to obey him, and before he can go back to egypt he dies of sickness

at least in the west, he's largely unknown and overshadowed by saladin. which is a shame, because saladin literally just picked up his scraps. hell, saladin even took nur ad-din's shtick with being respected by both sides.
>>
>>1836578
>Anacharsis Cloots.
Never heard of him. Sounds cool.
>>
>>1835650
Hitler.
>>
File: 1476652352323.png (515KB, 543x417px) Image search: [Google]
1476652352323.png
515KB, 543x417px
>>1838405
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.