[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1970s = Decade of Environmental Awareness?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

File: soylent_green_c[1].jpg (157KB, 1080x452px) Image search: [Google]
soylent_green_c[1].jpg
157KB, 1080x452px
Why does it seem like pollution and environmental issues like overpopulation were much considered much worse and concerning in the late 1960s and 1970s? It definitely seems like it was a theme in popular media and culture at the time (Soylent Green, Silent Running, etc.) How did they fix these problems/why did people seem to care much less about these issues in later decades?

Vid related, Soylent Green intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlVczvB4FQk
>>
>>1833938
It started and gained momentum with fearmongering and a few intellectual minds standing out. Essentially it was all these new technological advancements plus an awareness of what was going on. Also TV standards were loosened, and started depicting some of the horrors to-be that would destroy our environment. You had Nuclear incidents like Chernobyl and Three-Mile. People were still scared of microwaves because they're a form of "radiation".

You also have the white-washing by media giants as production of goods becomes increasingly centralized around just a few corporations, and they're the same ones who fund our media, so they're not going to talk about the environmental impacts of their production and often block news outlets from discussing those issues.

Politics plays a role in this too, as one half of our political system became Reaganomics which supported these big business endeavors with massive tax breaks which were in the name of fighting stagflation. As these Republican ideals formed a cohesive bond with donations from these massive business conglomerates, trade-protectionism became a key part of rhetoric. And along with all of that, it became taboo to talk about environmental issues, because we needed "strong business" to fight those evil commie bastards. Thus, caring about the environment became equated with communism and hippies. And to add to this, many of the "hippies" movements lost their leaders (assassination) as well as achieving their goals (civil rights), so the hippie movements who also supported environmental issues lost a lot of their steam for progress. We only see a current resurgence thanks to the digital age.
>>
people woke up, then in the 80's they went back to sleep
>>
Apex of youth counter-culture ushered in by the economic security of the 50s combined with the education and drug experimentation of the 60s.
>>
Because of the lead in the gasoline.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qihLufj4OHU
>>
>>1833938
>>1836430
And certain Presidential candidates want to eliminate the EPA...
>>
File: 1472937119741.jpg (208KB, 1280x1658px) Image search: [Google]
1472937119741.jpg
208KB, 1280x1658px
>>1836461

I wouldn't worry about it

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo#plus
>>
>>1833938
>How did they fix these problems
Hahahahahahaaargh we are so dead.
>>
>>1834347
This.
I was there (born in '61). My whole neighborhood stank to high heaven in the 60s. The natural gas tanks leaked. Every car, truck, and bus spewed a deadly cloud of lead-laden exhaust. Every household had a 55gal drum in which trash was burned twice weekly. And so on. By the end of the decade it was intolerable. Even Republicans had to admit it and do something. Nixon adm went along with Clean Air & Water acts. Then corporate-sponsored "leaders" (both D and R) started systematically undermining public policy and have been at it ever since. The whole planet is fucked if we continue to let sociopathic corporate entities run rampant. Time to wake up again.
>>
>>1834216
While the bulk of this post is mostly correct in its broad strokes, a couple of things jump out at me.

>People were still scared of microwaves because they're a form of "radiation".
Hahaha no. I hope you jest, sir.

Yes, the"voodoo economics" of Reagan and his corporate sponsors did wreak havoc, and its effects ultimately fed into the 2008 meltdown. But we must not overlook the complicity of corporate sponsored "third way" Democrats in all this. Especially given that we are about to elect one of them.

Finally, digital media and its attendant heterogeneous 'culture' is merely an enabler. Responsible change is effected by hard-working people who persist in the face of powerful forces working against us all. Fight the good fight. Computers and robots are not going to save us.
>>
So when will the illuminati genocide us? I think they will kill white people, but leave Africa alone even though Africa has huge population growth. That way the remaining population will be in destitute poverty and they can control them easier.
>>
>>1836461
The EPA has caused immense environmental fiascos in it's tenure. I wouldn't hold it as a bastion of environmental consciousness in the slightest. Just look at the fucking Gold King Mine Spill for fucks sake.
>>
>>1833938

Increasing marginal cost has made further regulation of pollution and the environment politically and economically difficult.

To add to this problem, our current policies are pretty stupid, and the big government, 'muh corporations' attitude of the left doesn't help.

Stuff like nuclear power and cap & trade are impossible to actually have a discussion about because lefties spread misinformation (big suprise there) and it isn't worth the time to educate the common voter about market principles and stuff like emissions trading.

On top of that, further regulation would likely hurt our competitiveness with Asian countries, something most politicians don't have time for.
>>
>>1838914
>On top of that, further regulation would likely hurt our competitiveness with Asian countries, something most politicians don't have time for.

Many Asian nations are polluted nightmares.
>>
>>1838917

Yes, because they don't regulate their economies.

I was saying that our companies have to pay for regulation, and most Asian countries don't. So more regulation would further that gap, and in a stagnant economy no one is going near more regulation.
>>
>>1838917
The irony of Free Trade is that often its just a race to the bottom, where the more developed nations simply don't put up Gigantic Tariffs to compensate for how silly thing works in the Banana Republic and Yellow Mans Oppression Camps.

In the end, if you are importing goods from a nation without a legal system that works, there is no reason to assume any of the words they use, that those mean anything.
>>
>>1838930
Don't worry they'll have to regulate sooner or later.
>>
>>1838970
Then again China has been in it's current state for years and it tramples anything involving the environment care or health.
>>
>>1838169
Why are you on 4chan?
>>
>>1833938

Highly advanced professional academic professors have since discovered that caring about overpopulation is racist.
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 401x268px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 401x268px
>>1838913
Not perfect, still nessacary. what most people also fail to realize is that the EPA is primarily concerned with human health, And fails to prevent everything but the most obvious disasters, because capitalism.
If we could find a way to find a numeral value and base our currency on that capitalism might be sustainable, the real problem is the evolutionary anachronistic anthropocentric value system, capitalism is just the vessel, a vessel that incentivizes the consumption of scarce resources, but we're driving it off the cliff.
>>
>>1839098
The common masses don't understand or know what overpopulation is.
>>
>>1839105
*attribute a numerical value to ecological utility to any given resource, organize the allocation of resources in a collectivist fashion, and use that numerical value to
Nevermind
>>
>>1839098
Kind of true, sadly. Which is why the Sierra Club and other environmental groups back in the 1990s made public statements against supporting immigration restrictions as a way to reduce population in the US.

>Long-time Sierra Club executive director Carl Pope had lobbied in the 1970s for reducing immigration into the United States. But in 1998 when members placed an initiative on the ballot to reinstate a commitment to immigration reduction, he led the charge against the initiative, which was defeated. Pope said that "he used to agree... that immigration should be cut for environmental reasons. But he changed his mind because he didn't believe it possible to conduct a public discussion about immigration cuts without stirring up racial passions."

That's from Philip Cafaro's "How Many is Too Many?: The Progressive Argument for Reducing Immigration into the United States"
>>
>>1833938
Was talking to a guy who works in conservation about this a little over a month ago, and he said that since the mid 90s, climate change/ global warming has overwhelmed the environmentalist movement; consider the 1992 Rio Summit and the later Kyoto Protocol. He said if you want to get a research grant for something, even like species conservation of a rare tree frog in the jungles of Costa Rica, you really have to somehow tie it into global warming. I'm sure this was hyperbole to some extent, but I don't doubt the sentiment underlying what he said.
>>
Anyone noticed how the topic "Global Warming" in the mass media took a huge downturn in 2009 and since?

2005-2008 seemed like nothing but Iraq War + Global Warming + Hurricanes.

There definitely has been a downturn in the environmental movement here in the US.
>>
>>1839586
Economic downturn and the Arab Spring, followed by Ukraine kind of took people's attention.
>>
>>1838990
>I only know memes
>>
>>1839594
I think you are ignoring the point I hint at

>democrats in office
>>
>>1839586
It became a partisan issue.

People think global warming being mentioned means you're an Obama shill, and a lot of people don't want that.
>>
>>1839586

The problem with global warming is that a lot of the guys who talk most loudly about it are barking up the wrong tree.

The point where reducing atmospheric co2 would actually cause a major effect on the deep geological cycle of climate change is the point where it cause photosynthesizing plant life to start dying off.

http://www.xenosystems.net/the-heat-trap/
>>
>>1838990

China's pollution problem is overhyped. A lot of those smog photos in Western media is actually sand blown from the Gobi desert. They do have a problem - everyone does - but their policies are getting better and better. Hell, China has the world's first emission-free trains powered by magnetism.
>>
>>1839665
I thought japan had the worlds first maglev train
>>
>>1834216
>You had Nuclear incidents like Chernobyl and Three-Mile.
What do those have to do with 70s? Chernobyl is a middle of another decade and Three mile comes way at the end of 70s to have an impact on the public perception of environment issues during 70s.
>>
File: PRC spurdo.jpg (117KB, 970x506px) Image search: [Google]
PRC spurdo.jpg
117KB, 970x506px
>>1839665
>China's pollution problem is overhyped
>A lot of those smog photos in Western media is actually sand blown from the Gobi desert
>>
>>1839039
Probably for that tight anime cunny like all the other pedophiles.
>>
>>1839665
>China's pollution problem is overhyped.
Yeah, they are only the second most poluted country in the world, it's no biggie.
>>
>>1839683

Perhaps you are right. But I did read about China's environmental protection policies becoming much more stringent. I can't give you a source, but I imagine their stringent is more, well, stringent than ours. Laissez-faire and all.
>>
>>1839725

They also have the largest population. If they're second worse they're not doing too bad.
>>
>>1839725
What's the first most polluted country? How could anyone be more polluted than China?
>>
>>1839744
>but I imagine their stringent is more, well, stringent than ours.
Only when the West is looking at them, like in the Beijing Olympics.
>>
>>1839642
>this post

Wot
>>
File: _64002612_64002611[1].jpg (68KB, 976x549px) Image search: [Google]
_64002612_64002611[1].jpg
68KB, 976x549px
>>1839758
India. Worse on every counter including the amount of smog.
In fact they completely blow china out of the water when it comes to smog topping the pollution charts by a wide margin.
>>
>>1839767

Yes, because only the West has the moral authority to understand environmental protection, or the intelligence to realize environmental degradation is bad for anyone. You're part of the problem you racist twit.
>>
File: beijing air quality.jpg (23KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
beijing air quality.jpg
23KB, 600x400px
>>1839799
>Yes, because only the West has the moral authority to understand environmental protection
pretty much senpai
asians can't be trusted with environmental issues
>>
>>1838913
>The EPA has caused immense environmental fiascos in it's tenure

True dat, but on the whole it's done WAY more good than harm

> Just look at the fucking Gold King Mine Spill for fucks sake.

Which would never have happened if the fuckin mining company hadn't left a mess there in the first place
>>
File: image.jpg (151KB, 640x1056px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 640x1056px
>>1839694
Not an argument

>>1839725
And their pollution levels are falling rapdily. They are like 1975 America.

>>1839758
India

Mongolia, North Korea, and parts of Central Asia have worse "overall pollution".

Nonetheless, China's is still shitty. It just isn't as shitty as thought and is improving rapidly since 2011.

>>1839767
Except pollution continued worsening until 2011 anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 300x400px
>>1839812
>
>>
>>1839039
Because I can
>>
>>1839820
They were ordered to leave the mess there by the EPA.
>>
File: carbapanem-resistance[1].png (48KB, 482x221px) Image search: [Google]
carbapanem-resistance[1].png
48KB, 482x221px
India is pretty much going to kill us all. If not pollution then antibiotic resistant viruses they are breeding down there.
Thanks Ghandi.
>>
>>1839942
As an East Asian, thank you for the Himalayas.
>>
File: 1452437604527.png (241KB, 377x424px) Image search: [Google]
1452437604527.png
241KB, 377x424px
>>1839942
>antibiotic resistant viruses
>>
>>1839970
Tbf, that is technically possible even though he didn't mean to say that.
>>
>>1833938
>Why does it seem like pollution and environmental issues like overpopulation were much considered much worse and concerning in the late 1960s and 1970s?

http://time.com/3921976/cuyahoga-fire/

>How did they fix these problems/why did people seem to care much less about these issues in later decades?

They exported them to Mexico and China.
>>
>>1840129

This so much. Environmental regulations have always been this white supremacist thing where problems are shifted to the third world. I love leftism
>>
>>1840169
Environmentalism is a form of white racism.
>>
>>1839942
>That Italy and USA
>That no map data for Russia
>>
>>1840169

>environmental regulations have always been a white supremacist thing where problems are shifted to the third world

I think you meant to say its this capitalist thing where negative effects are externalized and outsourced.
>>
>>1833938
Lead in consumer products and industrial waste was first regulated in the 1970s. To get to that point a big oil employed scientist had to go rogue.

Combine that with the constant fear of nuclear annihilation, the idea that Russian "peasants" could beat America into orbit with the "spy satellite" Sputnik, and wrap it all in racist paranoia built along a generation gap and it was damn near inevitable people would feel their environment was both intolerably shitty and something they could as a people do something tangible about.

Thus the moon landing, and the corresponding educational investment was both a national priority and a strategic necessity.

Then Reagan cut his "Morning in America" commercial and everyone wanted the all clear so badly the tension propping up progressive policy was replaced by willful reactionary complacency.
>>
>>1841138
>I think you meant to say its this capitalist thing where negative effects are externalized and outsourced.
I think what you meant to say is that its this animal thing where the strong will always take advantage of the weak.
>>
>>1840169
That's the free market for you, dumbass. In fact labor protections of even slightest kind will result in this. Also lobbying by your business conglomerates ensures that these countries can't rise from those shitty standards.

>>1841156
>social Darwinism
kys.
>>
>>1841828
Not an argument.
>>
>>1840129
>they exported them to Mexico and China.

This

The US imports 30% of its CO2 emissions each year, but doesn't count them. Not to mention the regular polluting industries we exported.
>>
>>1841828

The chief benefit of taking more libertarian approaches to these or those spheres of policy is the extent to which they are emergently socially darwinistic.
>>
>DUDE GO GREEN LMAO

Pollution wasn't actually an issue, btw. They just cherrypicked photos and locations to make it look like there was a serious nationwide problem.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.