[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the expectations from education shrink so immense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: civilization-ii-usa.jpg (102KB, 600x592px) Image search: [Google]
civilization-ii-usa.jpg
102KB, 600x592px
Macaulay:
"Up to the age of twelve formal learning should be made pleasant and involve writing, arithmetic, Latin grammar, geography, French learnt by the simple method of hiring some French domestic servants, and as much physics as can be easily understood by children.

As children mature, Macaulay recommends a more formidable curriculum. Among her recommended reading there is Plutarch’s Lives, Rollin’s Ancient History in French, and Livy, works which were surely early influences on her own thought. She puts off learning Greek until fifteen, and moral philosophy in the form of works by Cicero, Plutarch, Seneca and Epictetus until sixteen, but expects her pupils, by the age of eighteen to be reading Plato, Demosthenes, Sophocles, Euripides and Homer in Greek, as well as Caesar and Cicero in Latin. Among modern philosophical texts she recommends two by James Harris, his Philosophical Arrangements and Hermes an inquiry into universal grammar, Lord Monboddo on language and Epea pteroenta by John Horne Tooke, her and her brother’s friend. Political philosophy in the form of the works of James Harrington, Algernon Sidney, Locke and Hobbes is left until the age of nineteen."

And today parents and teachers are proud to say, that their kids can speak one, in some cases two languages well somehow, beside their mother tongue. some trashies even have probleme with their own language.

What went wrong or do I miss something important??
>>
>>1833876
My guess is that with mass education there is no way to teach everyone to be second Newton.
>>
>>1833876
Egalitarianism. There's not much more to it.
>>
>>1833876
How many languages are you fluent in, op?
>>
>>1833896
Kurdish, German, English, once spanish, but steadily declining because only important for nothing beside music and impressing girls, learning turkish, can read and write with two script systems
>>
>>1833884
Then those who can't, fail.
>>
>>1833876

Because out here in the real world, we actually have more intensive education, just not in the field of languages.

Macauley's 12 year olds should be able to

>Write
>Do arithmetic
>Second langauge (Latin) Grammar)
>Geography
>French, but not formal french, just exposure to French speaking people
>Basic physics (whatever that means)

At least when I went to school, by the time we were 12, we had

>Reading and writing in primary language
>Arithmetic
>Geometry
>Algebra
>Geography
>Systematic history, divided into our own country and that of the rest of the world.
>Civic education and social structure
>A second language (Spanish in my case, but there was a choice of some)
>Biology
>Physics
>Chemistry
>Astronomy (Admittedly, none of the sciences at a very proficient level)
>Practical construction courses, woodshop and the like
>Computer usage

And then, as we matured up till 18, we added stuff like calculus, trigonometry, much more advanced sciences; including crap that nobody knew in the 18th century like atomic modeling, more practical courses, basic programming, etc.

Languages got left by the wayside to make room for other skills. And even for stuff that was known to some in her time, I'd be interested in how many of say, Macauley's 18 year old students would know what a double replacement chemical reaction was, or how to test for it.
>>
>>1833979
this.

Macaulay's list of things looks massive, but when you break it down, you realize today's kids could learn these things in 1 year where it would take his 4. These seem like advanced concepts they're teaching, but to their standard students, it was just memorizing some fancy dead people quotes.

Today's mathematics and science courses are more expansive than theirs in order to prepare for higher level than they would go. This pretty much is true for all of our courses. We spend a lot of time on our building blocks because our education will reach further than theirs will.
>>
>>1833979
>>1834386

I'm sure that youare right, I had this in mind.
Even my teacher told me, that his education included 30% less than what we get teached today. Anyway, historical persons seem to be much more successfull, whereas we still struggle to place some punctuation marks correctly.

Maybe I'm just biased or so.

here is the rest of the text, if anyone is interested.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/catharine-macaulay/#ThoEdu
>>
>>1835209
>Even my teacher told me, that his education included 30% less than what we get teached today. Anyway, historical persons seem to be much more successfull, whereas we still struggle to place some punctuation marks correctly.

You've got enormous sampling bias in there; semi-literate scrawling isn't usually as well preserved as the best of the best. But you still have some idiotic scribbling, usually preserved in the form of graffiti.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.