[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were the Opium Wars the most immoral wars ever fought?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (180KB, 470x714px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180KB, 470x714px
Were the Opium Wars the most immoral wars ever fought?
>>
>immoral
No such thing.
>>
>>1833041
>immoral
save the spooky shit for Halloween
>>
>eternal anglo
>moral

no such thing
>>
Every war fought by the pope.
Extra immoral since he, as the Vicar of Christ, wasn't really supposed to fight them. But whatever, not like the Catholic Church is about Christianity to begin with.
>>
Free trade or free cannonade
>>
No, because Britain would clearly have prosperity upon victory, so theres at least one winner either way.

Many wars are ooga booga lets fighty killy and then its shit for everyone.
>>
File: lol.png (198KB, 323x710px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
198KB, 323x710px
>>1833041
>There are French soldiers who died so Britain could smuggle drugs in China

Let that sink....
>>
>>1833161
To protect their own opium trade in Indochina?
>>
It was the only option left open to Britain to balance the ruinous trade imbalance with Chinese. It was the sane, rational act of a nation concerned with defending its interests.
>>
the Opium war only stands out really because a nation of 40 million people, with incredible ease, beat a nation of 400 million people half the world away.

Not just beat them, utterly destroyed them as a country and caused a century of misery
>>
>tfw you will NEVER be a British marine killing gooks by the hour
>>
>>1833198
Qing China was a joke
Everyone rolled on them, Brits, French, Germans, Americans, Japs....
>>
>>1833205
Uh, they put up a good fight against the French.
>>
So basically the British empire was drug peddlers?
>>
>>1833220
Yes. Tea is good shit anon.
>>
File: 1475770804349.png (175KB, 700x1167px) Image search: [Google]
1475770804349.png
175KB, 700x1167px
>>1833201
DELET THIS
>>
File: ton.png (169KB, 329x613px) Image search: [Google]
ton.png
169KB, 329x613px
>>1833213
They really didnt
The French rolled in, bombed a few port, killed thousands of chinks and stole Vietnam from them

And no need to link me to the wiki article where Chinese Internet Defense Forces are fighting an edit war and keep modifying the result with "Chinese claimed partial victory", it's just bollocks
China got BTFO at home and lost Vietnam to the French, there's zero reason to see that as a victory.
>>
It's also worth noting that a large chunk of the Chinese army was addicted to the product they were fighting
>>
File: Mri5JkBjpk4.jpg (41KB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
Mri5JkBjpk4.jpg
41KB, 580x326px
>>1833243
If you want a good laugh, look at each dynasty of china and compare the English article to the Chinese article

the maps in the chinese article show the empire twice the size then it is in the english article
>>
>>1833041
>be 19th century chinese
>be comfy self sustainable isolationist society
>comes western (((merchant)))
>bring globalism
>sells junk
>no one buys
>westerners later sell illegal drugs
>bring degeneracy and immorality to the east
>calls it free trade
>later destroy the land because prohibited to sell illegal drugs
>muh free trade

>fast forward to 21 century
>chinese product flood western market
>chinese people mess up housing and economy in the west
>chinese people steal westerners job
>westerners are now being drugged by their former south american colonies
>westerners are being replaced in their homelands
>westerners are cucked so hard now they want protectionism since globalism doesn't benefit them anymore

may my ancestors smile from the heavens, i too will do my part to avenge them
>>
File: sun.gif (154KB, 338x338px) Image search: [Google]
sun.gif
154KB, 338x338px
>the Eternal Anglo starved ten million Indians to death so they could grow more opium to force on the Chinese, and then destroyed China when the Chinese decided to go straight

You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>1833250
AYA DENG YI XIA
*chokes on smog*
SO NI ARE TELLING ME
*lights cig*
THAT WE SOME KINDA YELLOW
*spits on floor*
MASTER RACE AND SHIEETT??
>>
>>1833041

Certainly amoral, but immoral? People like opium, why should teh state be allowed to forbid it to them?

A truly immoral war might be the conquests of Islam, that wrecked ancient cultures and turned the mid-east into a total shitshow.
>>
>>1833260
It quite obviously is. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
>>
>>1833161
Yes, all two of them.
>>
>>1833041
indeed! bloody fuzzy-wuzzies had no respect for property rights!
>>
>Tfw queen victoria was the biggest drug dealing literal queen on the streets.
>>
>>1833668
and they got drunk and ell off the boat.
>>
I heard Chinks still butthurt about it 200 years later.
>>
>>1833705
We destroyed on of their temples or something. Lmao, fuck them soulless chinks
>>
>>1833705
Well, to be honest two comparatively small countries from the other side of the world send an expeditionary force they consider almost secondary and barely worthy of mention in the front pages of their newspapers and they BTFO China - an enormous empire - so hard they went up to Peking to occupy imperial residences that Chinese plebs couldn't even enter.

Add in the fact that Chinamen of the time were still thinking they were the center of the world and that's a pretty hard hitting the reality wall.
>>
>>1833657
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bengal_famine_of_1770
>The Company had conquered the area just six years previously from the Mughal Empire in the Battle of Buxar. It destroyed large areas of food crops to make way for the growing of indigo plants for dye and opium poppies for the production of psychoactive drugs. It increased the tax on agricultural produce from 10% to 50%, transferring much of Bengal's wealth to the company's shareholders. The stockpiling of rice was also outlawed. These conditions allowed a food shortage caused by drought to become a famine with such a high death toll. It was further aggravated by the nonresponsive administration of the Company, which was concerned only with extracting wealth from the region regardless of the cost in lives.[4][5]
>About ten million people,[8][9] approximately one-third of the population of the affected area, are estimated to have died in the famine.
>>
>>1833743
P E R F I D I O U S
>>
File: 1476544802322.jpg (70KB, 618x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476544802322.jpg
70KB, 618x720px
>>1833743
And I should care because? Might equals right
>>
>>1833767
this
wallowing in guilt and pity is pointless, what we could do is to learn from it and strive to become better so we can do the same thing to westerners
>>
>>1833795
Asia can barely project the future of their economy never mind military force.
>>
>>1833743

Tbh east india company is one of my favorite organizations in society. If you ever want to find an example of the asiatic regions getting their ass kicked in a 200+ year period just look their way.

The best part is they're still around, and most people haven't a clue who they are.
>>
>>1833657
>Before proofs
>Lol, didn't happen
>>1833767
>After proof
>Lol, might makes right

Why are all nationalists like this?
>>
>>1833813
Seriously? Very interesting.
>>
>>1833818
How is nationalism a bad thing?
>>
>>1833839
I didn't say it's necessarily a bad thing, just that all ((Which I admit is wrong, should rather have said many)) seem to act in those patters.
Another one may be that when your party is strong you think might makes right and when it isn't people morals become important for how people act ((Or at least for those stronger than you))
>>
>>1833846
I was only playing into the eternal Anglo meme, lad.
>>
>>1833853
But many nationalists still think like that.
Retarded question though now that I think about it, all groups think like that. Just human nature at play.
>>
>>1833839
the hypocrisy, the same nationalist who talk about morality, virtue, and nobility of traditional values turn out to be the most immoral one, its all just a farce, empty words with no meaning, westerners in truth have no honour, they bend their definition of virtue according to their need while at the same time act as if they're the most righteous people on earth

the true spirit of the west is forged by revolution and brutality, the cruel doctrine of machiavelli and supremacist ubermensch mentality of nietzsche, not the righteous christian strive for justice and kindness that they usually spout, the west is in its true nature, expansionist and evil

the east was governed by wisdom and strive for harmony, a honour driven society, but to deal with the west, we must learn from history and abandon them, the only way to beat the west is to embrace the same degenerate mentality that makes them succeed, we have to strive to be as ambitious, as individualistic, egoistic and sly as the west
>>
>>1833912
Weren't the only non expansive Easterners china?
>>
>>1833917

only because they literally thought they already controlled all the land worth controlling.

>>1833912

>the east was governed by wisdom
>the west put a man on the moon and a probe outside the solar system
>>
File: 1476641004115.jpg (186KB, 603x528px) Image search: [Google]
1476641004115.jpg
186KB, 603x528px
>>1833201
>>
>>1833987
Yeah.
And they sure knew to kill each other within the empire.
>>
File: Qing_Dynasty_1820.png (346KB, 640x475px) Image search: [Google]
Qing_Dynasty_1820.png
346KB, 640x475px
>>1833917
>non expansive Easterners
No such thing, China has always been expansionist beyond the borders of "China proper". The only reason China maintained its current shape is because it was hemmed in by other imperialist powers (Russia, Japan, etc)
>>
>>1833161
How? I cant imagine a French soldier being that slow to surrender.
>>
>>1833917
hahahaha
>>
>>1833813

No they aren't the were dissolved by the crown.
>>
File: 130842303938.jpg (23KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
130842303938.jpg
23KB, 250x250px
>>1833799

>mfw cuckasians do this mental gymnastics

The pendulum is swinging back to Asia, the traditional culture and economic center of the world. The sun has long set in the West and it's going back to what it was for centuries, an irrelevant backwater on the peripherals of civilization. Because there's only so much good times to be had living off stolen loot when the money runs out.
>>
Recommended reading on the opium wars
And the East India company?
Thanks
>>
>>1833262
Kek
>>
K
>>
>>1833041
Compared to some late Roman usurper who literally thought that he was a God and waged civil war against his own country in pursuit of total power?

Or Alexander the Great who butchered his way across an entire civilization and was only forced to stop by his own men who were tired of the endless slaughter?
>>
>>1834640

technically its namesake carries on founded by a rich indian guy, isn't that enough for the most infamous group in history?
>>
>>1834748

Namesake does not mean a continuation of an institution. That's like all the various European countries calling themselves the true successors to Rome
>>
so do I hate the anglos for being so perfidious and devilish, or admire them for their efficiency? I mean, they stole the title for biggest empire by conquering nobodies; it's both brilliant and fucking retarded
>>
>>1835610
>Get rich from sucking savages dry as your rivals beat themselves to pieces against each other
Don't get what's so retarded abourt that.
>>
>Bringing morality into war

What next, "Crimes against Humanity"?

Nothing but pure ideology. The whole idea of Human Rights/etc is essentially Western victor's justice writ large. In reality they're a complete fiction.
>>
>>1833161
France had interests in the opium trade, Indochina was a major producer.
>>
>>1833045
>>1833048
>>1833051

What is up with the Anglo and his disdain for honor and dignity ?
>>
>>1837378

Honour only applies among equals.
>>
>>1835636
I mean, yea, morality is technically a spook, but that doesn't mean it has no merit.

If I broke into your house and started beating you to death you wouldn't be shrugging it off because morality doesn't exist.
>>
>>1837420

No, I'd bury you instead.

Survival of the fittest, faggot. Morality doesn't come into it.
>>
>>1833041
All war is objectively immoral.
/thread
>>
>>1837522
>t. pacifist

Not resisting evil is more immoral than resisting evil with force is.
>>
>>1837436
*unsheaths katana*
>>
>>1833041
Memes aside, I cannot think of a war less justified than WW2 from the German perspective. Even if you're a 1488 white supremacist, the war was expressly fought to revoke sovereignty from multiple European peoples, with genocide and subjugation desired tactics of conquest.
>>
>>1834419
haha upvote xD
>>
>>1833243
what article?
>>
>>1833743
Thank god they reduced the population. That shithole is so overpopulated now imagine if they had an extra 10 mil head start.
>>
>>1834647
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.