[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mahayana

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: history-of-buddhism-20.jpg (285KB, 904x488px) Image search: [Google]
history-of-buddhism-20.jpg
285KB, 904x488px
Who do boddhisattvas make their vows to? There's no God in buddhism to listen to them, or hold them accountable and regulate the consequences.

They're just talking to themselves basically, how could their vows restrict them from enlightenment and allow them to be reborn without experiencing retrogression to lower-realms? And how can they help other beings to attain enlightenment if they themselves aren't even enlightened.
>>
Mahayana is a failure.
>>
Because Mahayana is dumb)
>>
>>1832321
>>1832730
these
>>
>>1832300
Thats some rather duelist thinking.

>implying there is a difference between samsara and nirvana

>implying it isn't something more esoteric than that
>>
>>1832300

Usually to the Buddha or some other "saintly" figure.
>>
>>1832300
>there's no god in Buddhism
What about Dainichi Nyorai? I believe he's understood to be the Dharma body in Mahayana.
>>1832321
>>1832730
Get out, you lesser vehicle shills
>>
File: 083.jpg (387KB, 1024x1449px)
083.jpg
387KB, 1024x1449px
Hey, could somebuddhist ID the quote in pic related?
>>
>>1832321
>>1833302
Mahayana is to Buddhism what Catholicism is to Christianity
>Buddha teaches not to rely on deities, rituals and metaphysics
>relapse into Buddha and deity worship, complicated rituals and metaphysics and sometimes even astrology and magic
>hurr durr the other ones that are the lesser paths, Mahayana stronk!
>>
>>1833488
But the only branch (to my knowledge) that relies on faith is Pure Land Buddhism, which is a form of Mahayana.
>>
>>1833488
I would say Mahayana is more like Orthodoxy and Theravada is like Catholicism since they both have there share of mysticism and ritual but Mahayana even more so. Zen is like the Protestant Reformation.
>>
>Who do boddhisattvas make their vows to?
To themselves, to gods, to Boddhisatvas, to other Monks, to their teachers, to a community, etc. It depends on the type of monk, the order, the school, the lineage, etc.

>There's no God in buddhism to listen to them, or hold them accountable and regulate the consequences.
There's plenty of gods that will hold them accountable, plenty of Boddhisatvas that will hold them accountable, plenty of other monks that will hold them accountable, their teachers will hold them accountable, as will the community.

>They're just talking to themselves basically, how could their vows restrict them from enlightenment and allow them to be reborn without experiencing retrogression to lower-realms?
That depends, again, on the school, type of monk, culture, and lineage. Some kick the bucket and become somewhere between gods; and Christian saints; some do the whole "reborn in this life due to delicate karmic balance" thing.

>And how can they help other beings to attain enlightenment if they themselves aren't even enlightened.
That's why they help others (using their enlightened knowledge and powers rather than through mundane means) after they become enlightened, not before.
>>
>>1833521
Tibetan Buddhism is Santeria.
>>
>>1832300
We do not believe that there is no-God.

Buddha is not concerned with God nor is Buddha concerned with Atheism, and Buddha is involved in both the affairs of the God and of the Atheist, so is also concerned with God and no-God.

What this means is there is no law in Buddhism saying you cannot have God.
>>
>>1833844
It's very interesting to read the Nestorian Jesus Sutras, from around 700 CE. They frequently reference the Buddha, and say he derives his power from the Lord of Heaven.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.