[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ingenuity in warfare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13

What's your favourite thing (operation, equipment, action, anything) from warfare that took a lot of ingenuity to pull off? Mine has to be this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat

>Operation Mincemeat was a successful British disinformation plan during the Second World War. As part of Operation Barclay, the widespread deception intended to cover the invasion of Italy from North Africa, Mincemeat helped to convince the German high command that the Allies planned to invade Greece and Sardinia in 1943 instead of Sicily, the actual objective. This was accomplished by persuading the Germans that they had, by accident, intercepted "top secret" documents giving details of Allied war plans. The documents were attached to a corpse deliberately left to wash up on a beach in Punta Umbría in Spain.[1] The success of the planting of false documents was confirmed through Ultra decrypts of German messages.

So, believing this, the Germans moved much of their forces in Sicily to Greece, where an invasion never came. The dead "Major Martin" was even made to look believably incompetent by planting an out-of-date pass on him. Not only did the German high command fall for it, Hitler fell for it, as a result they even distrusted genuinely misplaced plans for D-Day and Operation Market Garden, believing them also to be disinformation like Operation Mincemeat.

Anyway, please post more like this.
>>
File: Refuelling.plan.black.buck.svg.png (95KB, 852x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Refuelling.plan.black.buck.svg.png
95KB, 852x1024px
Pretty much ineffective, but it was still an impressive feat to conduct a 6800nm bombing raid over open ocean with no forward positioned refuellers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck
>>
no others?
>>
File: slide-c-western.jpg (29KB, 338x360px) Image search: [Google]
slide-c-western.jpg
29KB, 338x360px
The Federal line, initially bolstered by the infantry, briefly seized the momentum and attacked the Confederate left flank, but Major-General Forrest launched an attack from his extreme right and left wings, before the rest of the Federal infantry could take the field. In this phase of the battle, Forrest commanded his field artillery to unlimber, unprotected, only yards from the Federal line, and to shred their troops with canister (Which in effect turns an artillery piece into a giant shotgun.)
>>
>>1832280
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroleans#Infantry_G.C3.A5.E2.80.93P.C3.A5

also motti
>>
>>1832417
Whoa using canister shot, ingenious
>>
Obligatory D-Day mention. No other operation has ever demanded such a level of complexity and deception.

My personal favourite is Operation Chariot, i.e. the "Greatest Raid of All Time". British commandos sailed up an enemy infested river estuary and rammed a destroyer into a German dockyard, blew half the dock to hell, caused general chaos and then fled. When a group of German officers came to examine the ship a series of timed explosives blew killing them and dunking the ship right in the port entrance, rendering it completely unusable for the rest of the War, and stopping the Tirpitz having a safe Atlantic dock.
>>
>>1832280
Where did they get the corpse?
>>
>>1832835

It was a homeless man from Wales I believe. He had passed away via natural causes, though I might be wrong. The article talks about it though.
>>
>>1832835

>on a beach in Punta Umbría in Spain.[1]
>>
>>1832280
No colony did it before on such a grand scale, and none could quite match it after. Amerifat here so I am a little biased, but you have to admit that the American colonies pulled off some amazing victories against a much larger, organized, better funded, and experienced war machine. I am thankful the French showed up later on because that made final victory that much easier
>>
>>1832906

>much larger, organized, better funded, and experienced war machine

ehh this isn't entirely true
>>
File: Dead Nazi.jpg (1MB, 2805x2293px) Image search: [Google]
Dead Nazi.jpg
1MB, 2805x2293px
>>1832849
No, they planted the body there. Where did they procure a dead person to pull off a major deception plan?

>>1832842
If that's the case then what a posthumous honor
>>
>>1832911

Sorry, my bad, I realized what you meant after posting my reply.
>>
>>1832909
Than the American colonies? A group of the population within the revolting colonies stuck with Great Britain. It wasn't even ALL the colonists against the British Empire
>>
>>1832924

The British didn't have a large force in the American colonies, it was even augmented by mercenaries just to keep the numbers up - notwithstanding that, historically the strength of British forces has come from its navy, not its army.
>>
File: George Washington.jpg (152KB, 507x648px) Image search: [Google]
George Washington.jpg
152KB, 507x648px
>>1832933
Yeah, their navy could ship forces - albeit Hessians and other mercenaries - with incredible speed. Not only across the ocean, but to other places in the colonies were shit was going down. It was an uphill battle for a long time. The Battle of Saratoga, among other world events, was a big turning point. Washington knew the British would take Philadelphia so he moved to stop them from merging their forces further south. He called on militias to join because they could finally have forward momentum. They did indeed show in great number and the British were defeated. I mean... the British did overrun Philadelphia and killed defenders while they did but the overall battle was a success
>>
>>1832957

>Yeah, their navy could ship forces - albeit Hessians and other mercenaries - with incredible speed. Not only across the ocean, but to other places in the colonies were shit was going down.

Now you're just speculating. This didn't happen at all, especially the "incredible speed".
>>
File: sunken ship.jpg (57KB, 640x463px) Image search: [Google]
sunken ship.jpg
57KB, 640x463px
>>1832963
Yes incredible speed. Navies were crossing between Europe and the Americas faster than ever. Advancements in ship technology, naval provisions, charts, and more experienced crews. Until the French arrived with nearly sixty ships of the line to combat Great Britain's American navy. The British responded by sending thirty more ships by the next year, but Spanish vessels arrived as well which skewed the forces for America well over the British. If America did not get that help, I'm not sure how the revolution would have went later on. Maybe more mercenaries, like you said to bolster the numbers, or more genuine troops that could almost freely pass to the colonies. Privateers are good for small operations, but money can only motivate a mercenary so far
>>
File: tumblr_lojlsdsg7b1qg5z8jo1_500.gif (213KB, 476x700px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lojlsdsg7b1qg5z8jo1_500.gif
213KB, 476x700px
Fritz Klingenberg and the capture of Belgrade comes to mind!

http://www.historynet.com/invasion-of-yugoslavia-waffen-ss-captain-fritz-klingenberg-and-the-capture-of-belgrade-during-world-war-ii.htm

Basicly, bold ass Waffen-SS Hauptmann and his wacky squad of 6 privates capture Belgrade with the help of a drunken tourist.
>>
>>1832290
>nanometers
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoan_crisis
Geniuses on all sides
>>
>>1833068
>I don't know that nautical miles is used in aviation
>>
>>1832417

>extreme right and left wings

Go back to /pol/.
>>
>>1833058
Absolute madman
>>
File: image.jpg (753KB, 2048x1530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
753KB, 2048x1530px
hannibal at cannae 216 b.c. in one battle killed 50,000+ roman soliders and lost like 5,000 soilders. plus he kill and captured some senators. Han the Man
>>
>>1834059
>eyeroll.jpg
>>
>>1832417
General Forrest was a hero in every sense of the word.
>>
>>1833058
Similarly, though smaller-scale, the Canadian Leo Major pretty much singlehandedly captured the Dutch town of Zwolle, among many other feats.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Léo_Major
>>
>>1832280
>even distrusted genuinely misplaced plans for D-Day
To be fair, the Allies building an enormous fake fleet and air force out of, literally, tin foil and balsa wood directly across from Calais helped.
>>
File: 1464648494793.png (29KB, 1885x730px) Image search: [Google]
1464648494793.png
29KB, 1885x730px
>>1832280
>>
>>1835473
Found it, it's Operation Fortitude.
>>
>>1832906
>No colony did it before on such a grand scale, and none could quite match it after. Amerifat here so I am a little biased, but you have to admit that the American colonies pulled off some amazing victories against a much larger, organized, better funded, and experienced war machine. I am thankful the French showed up later on because that made final victory that much easier
I'd say American Revolution II: Bolivar's Boogaloo was a pretty good sequel.
>>
>>1832963
Hessians were used on the yanks
>>
>>1832519
Holy shit the raid on St nazaire is the most /k/ event in history. The whole fucking plan seemed like it was written by call of duty campaign writers it's so ridiculously awesome.
>>
File: 1201px-Ilipa1.svg.png (83KB, 1201x1055px) Image search: [Google]
1201px-Ilipa1.svg.png
83KB, 1201x1055px
Ilipa, the "reverse Cannae" (206 BC).
>>
File: 888px-Ilipa2.svg.png (72KB, 888x1055px) Image search: [Google]
888px-Ilipa2.svg.png
72KB, 888x1055px
>>1835618

Ilipa (cont.)
>>
>>1835619
pls finish fucko
>>
>>1832519

And today, Operation Chariot is remembered as a level from one of the five most forgettable Medal of Honor games where you, of course, have to play as an American while Dale Dye barks in your ear.
>>
>>1832290
>massive expenditure for minimal gains

britishmilitary.txt.
>>
>>1835649
You mean US military right?
>>
>>1835705
The F-35 was conceptualized, prototyped, competed against the X-32, designed, sent to production, boondoggled, ruined by the Marines, had most of the major problems smothered with piles of cash and been declared IOC in the entire time it has taken the Brits to put a single AESA radar prototype on a single Eurofighter.

And then there's the QE class carriers, the Nimrod AEW aircraft, the four diesel submarines they built and then tricked Canada into buying, and the whole ridiculous Chinooks for the SAS debacle.
>>
>>1835478
this is yarmouk right?
>>
>>1835740
Looks like Cannae.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia

What Caesar did in the Battle of Alesia
>>
>>1832842
He had eaten rat poison.
>>
>>1836136
Tasty
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.