[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Norse/Germanic tatoos. What where they like? Records suggests

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

Norse/Germanic tatoos. What where they like?

Records suggests that they probably had thier while body tatted with stave symbols.

Probably with blue color using tree ash as ink.
>>
File: Varangians.jpg (66KB, 540x760px) Image search: [Google]
Varangians.jpg
66KB, 540x760px
>>1831516
Yes they were probably blue, note the forearm in pic related.
>>
>>1831539
Did Vikings actually have those metal mesh things? I thought that was a medical thing

Also how did they afford helmets and shit. I thought they were barbarians.
>>
>>1831566
Do you mean the splint shinguards? Yeah, they were very popular during the migration period and sort of snowballed from there.

>Also how did they afford helmets and shit. I thought they were barbarians.
A helmet is the one piece of armor that everyone on a battlefield before 1650 is going to have. Your head is the part of your body that you'd least want to get hit, so if you're going to protect anything, protect your head. And a helmet wouldn't be that expensive, very cheap and easy to make and repair.
>>
Tattoos are for morons
>>
Did they really have tattoos though ? If I recall, no bodies with tattoos have been found. But on the other hand Ahmad ibn Fadlan said they were tattooed. If someone could correct me that would be great
>>
>>1831516
TO THEJR DO I SEE MJ FATHER
TO THEJR DO I SEE MJ MOTHER
AND MJ SISTERS AND MY BRO
ERS LO THEJR DO I SEE THE
>>
>>1831913
M8, we're talking bodies from an illiterate civilization that are over 1000 years old.

>they have perfectly preserved Saxon corpses lying about
>>
Honestly stop making threads about Europe
>>
>>1831674

crab mentality is gonna kill you
>>
>>1831913

Otzi had tattoos.
>>
>>1831945
Otzi lived thousands of years before Vikings in a different region of Europe, numbnuts.

His tattoos are believed to be medical in nature, as they are all abstract dots and lines along his back and joints. Anywhere there was pain would be incised and rubbed with ash of trees/herbs, which would leave a tattoo. The act of incision could also have dulled (i.e. killed) some nerve endings, genuinely relieving some of the pain.
>>
>>1831937
Fuck off Goldberg.
>>
>>1831913
Nah. It's based off of an arab who went to Russia and saw people who burned their own in ships and commented that they had blue lines on their arms. Which might as well be that the people he observed weren't shitskins so he saw some blue veins.
>>
>>1832169
That's retarded, there's also pale people with blue veins in the mediterranean.
>>
>>1831913
The evidence for "vikings" having tattoos isn't more than circumstantial but we know the Rus did and that tattoos in western yurop go back a long, long time; the oldest physical evidence of tattooing in the world is Ötzi but the Löwenmensch figurine (ca. ~40,000 BC) as well as other pieces of paleolithic art exhibit decorative patterns and incised lines that may well represent tattoos.

tl;dr tattooed vikings are extremely likely but almost entirely unsubstantiated
>>
>>1832885
>Löwenmensch figurine (ca. ~40,000 BC) as well as other pieces of paleolithic art exhibit decorative patterns and incised lines that may well represent tattoos.
Rank speculation. They are far far more likely to be incision/scarification, or just representations of clothes or hair/fur (ancient people could weave).
>>
File: 17.jpg (71KB, 520x346px) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
71KB, 520x346px
>>1832885
I was curious because many polytheistic/animistic cultures share many similarities

Im Thai and pic related is a Sak Yant tatoo.

These are ancient symbols with magical powers, and people would tatoos thes ymbols and letters on thier body so they could take their protection with them.

The symbol at the center shows the compass directions so it can keep you safe while traveling.

It really reminded me of the Vegvisir symbol of the viking for protection when traveling through bad weather.

Depending on the direction we would travel, we would have had to recite a mantra of that particular direction.

Vikings probably had similar chants, but thats just my speculation.
>>
>>1832169
>It's based off of an arab
*based on
>>
>>1833072
>The symbol at the center shows the compass directions so it can keep you safe while traveling.
>It really reminded me of the Vegvisir symbol of the viking for protection when traveling through bad weather.
If I am not mistaken, Vegvisir means guide or waymarker, so you might be right about that.
>>
>>1833054
That's why I said "may". However, it also bears mentioning that the lines on the Löwenmensch figurine both resemble Ötzi's tattoos and are located over a joint; if one operates on the presumption that Ötzi's tattoos were medicinal in nature then that's certainly something to chew on.
>>
>>1831516
>The Rūs appear as traders who set up shop on the river banks nearby the Bolğar camp. They are described as having bodies tall as (date) palm-trees, with blond hair and ruddy skin. They are tattooed from "fingernails to neck" with dark blue or dark green "tree patterns" and other "figures" and that all men are armed with an axe, sword and long knife.
>>
>>1831937
You can make your own threads you huge fool
>>
>>1831566
>barbarians
A Greaco-Roman meme
>>
>>1831516
>slavic design
>norse runes
>>
>>1831566
>I thought they were barbarians.
"Barbarian" was just the Greek word for anyone who wasn't Greek, later adopted by the Romans. European "barbarians" including vikings weren't nigger-tier savages as they were made out to be, they had metalworking, agriculture, even writing by the 2nd century. Chainmail in fact originated with the Celts.
However it should be noted that >>1831539 pic is of Varangian guards in the service of the Byzantine Empire in medieval times.
>>
File: warrior_talismans.gif (21KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
warrior_talismans.gif
21KB, 600x700px
>>1834124
>Slavic desighn

It's not Slavic retard. It's Norse stave charm symbols

Used for protection, etc
>>
File: le octopus face.gif (52KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
le octopus face.gif
52KB, 500x309px
>>1833104
>based on of arab
>>
>>1834868
Fuck off squidward
protect me with your huge forehead
>>
>>1831937
t. wewuzhuan dindunathung
>>
>>1831935
Pretty sure we've got some bog bodies with a fair bit of ink one them.
>>
>tattoo
>norse
fuck
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.