[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Southeast Asia and Indochina

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 52

File: 7902351728_63ff5beb5e_b.jpg (103KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
7902351728_63ff5beb5e_b.jpg
103KB, 640x427px
What the fuck it this?
>blend of Chinese and Indian culture, with Arabic and European thrown in later
>Has all the major world religions in scattered locations
> full of scattered colonies
>Singapore
Lets talk about this cluster fuck
>>
There's a lot of jungle keeping the Chinese or something from showing up any unifying everything.

And then there's all those islands.

But yeah, it's an interesting place.
>>
File: IMG_3023.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3023.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>
>>1830755
Very hilly terrain, too much foliage, too hot and humid for any outside culture to properly conquer, not centralized enough and just generally not worth it.

These SEA kingdoms would trade with outsiders getting new ideas and cultural influences.
>>
>>1830755
Southeast Asia and Indochina are what happens when a region of the World cannot create their own culture/religion and resorts to adopting everyone else's instead. It is weird as fuck, desu.
>>
lets not forget about that Andaman island where the people there are still stuck in the Stone age
>>
>>1830956
That is totally different though.

That is just an uncontacted tribe that developed in total isolation. This thread is about: >>1830948
>>
File: bangkok-grand-palate-7.jpg (117KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
bangkok-grand-palate-7.jpg
117KB, 1024x680px
>>1830755
>South east asia and indochina
Redundant
They got some pretty nice temples
>>
>>1830948
what do you mean? native culture and religion existed, they just ended up adapting and being influenced by other influence around them. for example the indonesian created their own brand of hinduism i think
>>
>>1830956
Isn't that more south asia?
>>
>>1830948
its a wonderful place filled with sexy and cute nymphos, people who are obsessed with koreans, and people who vehemently hate china.
>>
>>1830963
well this area has a lot of history with all the colonising.
if it weren't for the Europeans, we would still be stuck with Hinduism, Budhism and Animism.
>>
>>1830986
You forgot Islam
>>
>>1830948
The Khmer have their own culture
>>
File: borobudur.jpg (1MB, 1689x1116px) Image search: [Google]
borobudur.jpg
1MB, 1689x1116px
>>1830969
i prefer some some classic hindu/buddhist temple myself

thai one looks tacky imo
>>
>>1830987
islam is just another foreign religion.
>>
>>1830948
You're fucking retarded. You can say that about any part of the world

>>1830983
>its a wonderful place filled with sexy and cute nympho
Thailand and indochina, even though most the local population resent them and their 'clients'
>people who are obsessed with koreans
Mostly in Singapore and they're frowned upon if they're not qt girls
>>1830983
>people who vehemently hate china.
In the Philippines and Vietnam but only some and the Chinese diaspora isn't hated
>>
>>1830991
Euro's didn't bring that tho
>>
>>1830987
Islam came in later
>>
Always found it weird how Indonesia went from being wishy washy about Islam to super devout in two generations all thanks to the Saudis.
>>
>>1830976
It is just that the influence is just so one-sided. They adapt all these aspects of Culture and Religion from outside but have virtually no impact on the places where they came from. The impact of the Indonesians on the Arabs was nothing. Same with the Pinoys, Spain was barely influenced. Similar with India/China.

I feel this is a result of them being island nations.
>>
>>1830995
and? still foreign, your religion wiped out alot of the local culture here.
>>
>>1830997
> super devout in two generations

not at all, most of the wahabbi shitshow you see is a vocal minority like the FPI. most indonesians hate those crazy fuck after bali bombing and the recent jakarta one
>>
>>1831004
The nature of Islam/Christianity is to wipe out other religions and cultures.

They struggle to coexist as a doctrinal level. Don't take it personally. Compared to most other religions that allow coexistence, they are practically a Cult.
>>
File: Prambanan relief.jpg (580KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
Prambanan relief.jpg
580KB, 1024x678px
>>1830948
That's a pretty stupid way to characterize it. Southeast Asians adopted civilization from India just like Italians adopted from Greeks. Early Southeast Asian civilizations can be seen as an extension of a wider Indian civilization, but always had their own regional distinctions and later split off into very different kinds of civilizations.
>>
>>1831010
Sadly... muslims and christians really are the worst of humanity.
>>
>>1831014
*tips Menorah*
>>
>>1830948
most of the indochinese (besides the Cambodians) were originally from China you faggot.
>>
File: Belt (9th–10th century AD).jpg (275KB, 1920x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Belt (9th–10th century AD).jpg
275KB, 1920x1536px
>>1830997
Saudis are the cancer of the Earth. I feel like everyone on this website could agree on that regardless of other political views.
>>
beep beep
>>
What was Khmer Empire society like? Who were the principal enemies of the Khmer? What did Angkor look like in its splendor?
>>
>>1831018
jews also aren't welcome here, we already have enough problems with the chinese.
>>
>>1831038
correction: mainlanders.
>>
>>1830989
That kind of architecture is considered outdated by 16th century, pic related is 14th century ayutthaya in simillar style
>>
>>1831034
>What did Angkor look like in its splendor?

A glorious city.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Kq4XF1zKU

>What was Khmer Empire society like?

Devoutly Hindu, and very religious.
>>
File: Ayuthaya16.jpg (301KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Ayuthaya16.jpg
301KB, 1000x667px
>>1831055
Forgot pict
>>
>>1830989
>>1831058
It pleases me to no end that the Indons didn't chimp out like the Arabs and destroy everything.
>>
File: prambanan.jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
prambanan.jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
>>
File: Bayon, Canoes.jpg (593KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Bayon, Canoes.jpg
593KB, 1600x1066px
>>1831034
>Who were the principal enemies of the Khmer?
Chams. They were basically a civilization of Hindu pirates in southern Vietnam, a bunch of semi-independent coastal polities loosely unified under a common king. In 1177-78 when Angkor was near its height they sailed up the Mekong and pillaged the capital until they were defeated by Jayavarman VII in 1181, who then initiated what's generally considered Angkor's greatest golden age in the late 12th-early 13th centuries. Pic related shows one of his battles against the Cham.

After Jayavarman's death the Thais became the new main threat, after migrating from the mountains to the north into the Chao Phraya basin and Khorat Plateau (two of the empires main regions) and eventually taking political power in the north, establishing the kingdom of Sukhothai in 1238 and the more dangerous Ayutthaya around 1350, the latter finally sacking Angkor in 1430 and throwing the Khmers into their 'dark age'.
>>
File: Borobudur_ship.jpg (371KB, 1183x816px) Image search: [Google]
Borobudur_ship.jpg
371KB, 1183x816px
>A Borobudur ship is the 8th-century wooden double outrigger, sailed vessel of Maritime Southeast Asia depicted in some bas reliefs of the Borobudur Buddhist monument in Central Java, Indonesia.[1] This has been designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The ships depicted on Borobudur were most likely the type of vessels used for inter-insular trades and naval campaigns by the Sailendran and Srivijayan thalassocracy empire that ruled the region around the 7th to the 13th century. The function of the outrigger was to stabilize the ship; a single or double outrigger canoe is the typical feature of the seafaring Austronesians vessels. It is considered by scholars to have been the most likely type of vessel used for their voyages and exploration across Southeast Asia, Oceania, and the Indian Ocean.
>>
File: Battle.jpg (986KB, 1674x1583px)
Battle.jpg
986KB, 1674x1583px
>>1831096
>>
>>1831093
This shit looks so much like temples in India where i'm from, fuck.
>>
>>1831096
why were the vietnamese such imperialistic assholes?
>>
>>1830983
Wrong

>>1830994
Chinese diaspora is treated like Jews in Indonesia/Malaysia/Thailand/Philippines/Vietnam.

The only place they are safe is Singapore.
>>
>>1831123
Champa were not vietnamese.
>>
>>1831013
>Early Southeast Asian civilizations can be seen as an extension of a wider Indian civilization

This is simply the wetdream of Indian nationalists. Vietnam and India have very very little in common.
>>
File: Po Klong Garai (c. 1300).jpg (525KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Po Klong Garai (c. 1300).jpg
525KB, 1600x1200px
>>1831123
Chams weren't Vietnamese, they were the ones who were fucked by the Vietnamese.
>>
File: 137p.png (537KB, 2000x841px) Image search: [Google]
137p.png
537KB, 2000x841px
Most of the discussion I'm seeing is about the mainland, but what about Indonesian islands?
>>
>>1831007
Yeah sure. That's why every non-Chink here now wears the hijab.

If you haven't noticed, Indonesia has become more conservative since 1998 when we got rid of the chinks
>>
>>1831057
Its more of a hindu-buddhist mix, with buddhist element become more dominant its later stage
>>
>>1831041
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_Chinese_Indonesians
>>
>>1831147
and? people are against chinese because of the shit mainlanders do, I'm sorry if you're part of the chinese diaspora but until mainland china stop acting like pricks then relations might heal.
>>
>>1831142
hijab is a cultural thing nowaday, also indonesian hijab is more revealing and lack compared to the more conservative saudi type
>>
>>1831139
>>1831131

sorry for the confusion but I was talking about Dai Viet, I just responded to you because you seem to know a lot about the region.
>>
>>1831140
Not relevant beside srivijayans and java
>>
>>1831168
The who?
>>
File: Srivijayan_Expansion.gif (568KB, 362x369px) Image search: [Google]
Srivijayan_Expansion.gif
568KB, 362x369px
>>1831140
http://www.gimonca.com/sejarah/sejarah01.shtml

tldr

>srivijayan empire
>majapahit empire
>bunch of javanese kingdom
>bunch of eastern spice island kingdom
>pirates
>bunch of muslim kingdom later on
>colonialism
>>
>>1831137
Not Vietnam (which shouldn't even be called Southeast Asian), but all the other major civilizations were born of Indian influence and shared with India a common Sanskritic civilization. Treating 'India' and 'Southeast Asia' as separate historic entities is completely anachronistic. An Indian civilization was born in the Indo-Gangetic basin and the Deccan, then in the first millennium AD spread through adoption around the coasts of the Bay of Bengal, giving rise to civilizations in Tamilakam, Cambodia, Burma, Java and other areas involved in the growing India-China trade. It wasn't 'Indians' civilizing 'Southeast Asians', but the spread of a common civilization originating in modern northern India to nearby regions.

Only after the 13th century did this common civilization, which consisted of a patchwork of Hindu and Buddhist states across India, Indochina and Indonesia, fall apart as India became almost entirely Hindu, while Indochina and Sri Lanka came to form a common Theravada civilization and later on Indonesia/Malaysia became Islamic.
>>
>>1831158
They weren't really more imperialistic than the Khmers, Chams or Thais really. The Chams attacked them as much as they attacked the Chams, but in the end the Vietnamese won probably because they had a fairly centralized Chinese-style state while the Cham were just a bunch of very loosely organised village clusters. I don't really know much about Vietnam though so maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>1831177
The Lao and Thai came from southwest China and share just as much Sinic influence as they do Indian, probably more.
>>
>>1831151
>people are against chinese because of the shit mainlanders do

How exactly does this statement agree with this statement>>1831041

Sorry but my people have discriminated against Chinks since day 1 when they arrived here back in the 1300's.
>>
>>1831152
>it's a cultural thing

And how is culture not related to religion??

I walk around the shithole of south Jakarta everyday and more and more women are wearing the hijab. I don't get how your "cultural" argument changes the fact Indonesia has gotten somewhat more conservative.
>>
>>1831177
Can you explain how Laos is part of the "Indic Civilization".

The closest similarity is buddhism, and (real) India has almost no Buddhists. Only in the far eastern provinces does India even get semi-Southeast Asian people.
>>
>>1831126
what's wrong with it?
the cute nymphos part?
the korean part?
or the chinese part?
>>
>>1831204
Not at all. Thai/Lao civilization was entirely built upon the civilization of the Khmer, with further influence from Sri Lanka. They didn't come from 'China' and were never regarded as Chinese; they only came from a region that was later incorporated into China. This idea I see all the time that Southeast Asia is equal parts China and India is really misleading. Only Vietnam actually adopted Chinese institutions, writing, philosophy, statecraft, etc. Everywhere else adopted those things from India (or from others who had adopted from India) and later built their own unique civilizations on those foundations.

Chinese influence was mostly just economic, due to the importance of the China-Indian trade.
>>
why do the vietnamese stick so hard to the edges of their country?
How are there 75 million people in pic related?
>>
>>1831237
Because everything else is jungle mountains
No one wants to live in Jungle Mountains
>>
>>1831226
>and (real) India has almost no Buddhists

Modern India doesn't. Historically India has been the primary center of Buddhist learning. Monks made constant visits to India.
>>
>>1831237
Living close to the sea has tremendous advantages.
>>
>>1831226
What I was saying was that Laos was built on the foundations of an earlier Indic civilization shared by Indians, Cambodians, Javanese, etc and based on a mix of Hinduism and Buddhism (both Mahayana and Theravada). At that time Laos was a part of the Khmer civilization, which was one part of this wider indic world.

However, the Laos we know today has diverged enormously from India because that common Indic civilization broke up after the 13th century. Indochina became largely Theravada, and common institutions and literary culture spread throughout Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and also Sri Lanka which distinguished it from the increasingly Hindu India. What had been a patchwork of Hinduism and Buddhism stretching from the Indus to the Mekong split into two distinct Hindu and Theravada cultural blocs, with Laos falling into the latter.

So Laos isn't 'Indic', but it was built on Indian foundations just as Western civilization was built on Greco-Roman foundations, or Greco-Roman civilization as built on Egyptian foundations. We can acknowledge the foundations upon which a civilization was built without denying the uniqueness of the civilization itself.
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>1830976
Hinduism is just as Native to Southeast Asia as to India.

It's not like one day India was suddenly all Hindu.

Hinduism slowly spread from northwest India down to South India , Bengal, then mainland SE Asia and maritime se Asia.
As Hinduism spread it combined with local events in se Asia and Indian subcontinent.

Seeing Hindism as something India owns is a meme.

We Mainland SE Asians have kept our animistic beleifs live and well

Pic related is typical in Thailand. Animistic house for spirits on left.
Buddha on centre
And Hindu god Ganesha on right
>>
>>1831233
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_people

There have been many theories proposing the origin of the Tai peoples, of which the Thai are a subgroup. Especially the association of the Tai people with the Kingdom of Nanzhao that has been proved to be invalid. Linguistic studies suggested[26] that the origin of the Tai people lies around the Chinese Province of Guangxi, where the Zhuang people are still a majority. The ancient Tai people should be the part of Chinese Nanyue, referred to by Han leaders as "foreign servant" (Chinese: 外臣), synecdoche for a vassal state. The Qin dynasty founded Guangdong in 214 BC, initiating the successive waves of Chinese migrations from the north for hundreds of years to come.

With the political and cultural pressures from the north, some Tai peoples migrated south[27] where they met the classical Indianized civilizations of Southeast Asia. According to linguistic and other historical evidence, the southwestward migration of Tai-speaking tribes from Guangxi took place sometime between the 8th-10th centuries.[28]

The Tais from the north gradually settled in the Chao Phraya valley from the tenth century onwards, in lands of the Dvaravati culture, assimilating the earlier Austroasiatic Mon and Khmer people, as well as coming into contact with the Khmer Empire. The Tais who came to the area of present-day Thailand were engulfed into the Theravada Buddhism of the Mon and the Hindu-Khmer culture and statecraft. Therefore, the Thai culture is a mixture of Tai traditions with Indic, Mon, and Khmer influcences.[29]
>>
>>1831275
Natives of Southern China =/= Chinese.

Guangxi and Yunnan were ruled indirectly by barbarian chieftains.
>>
>>1831275
My mistake then, but regardless these were not 'Chinese' populations just because they were Chinese vassals. They were tribal peoples without Chinese institutions, who came into the frontiers of the Khmer Empire as a new warrior elite while adopting the literate bureaucratic urban culture and institutions of the Khmers and Mons, much like the Germanics in Roman Gaul or the Turks in Islamic Persia. They created new a Thai script based on Khmer, built Khmer style cities and Khmer style states and adopted Sri Lankan Theravada Buddhism, all rooted in Indian civilization.
>>
Why are some Vietnamese people brown and some aren't?

I was born with very white skin and now I'm pretty brown. I went from Jackie Chan looking type Asian to Manny Pacquaio type Asian. Is it intergratiom of tribes?
>>
>>1831337
Kek opposite happen to me
Stay away from the sun i guess
>>
>>1831382
It might be too late

I wonder if its cause Iwas out all the time in the sun as a kid. No sunscreen either.

This happened to my Italian friend as well and I'm sure his mom didn't get BLACKED
>>
File: Philippines-richest.jpg (75KB, 981x402px) Image search: [Google]
Philippines-richest.jpg
75KB, 981x402px
>>1831126
>Chinese diaspora is treated like Jews in Indonesia/Malaysia/Thailand/Philippines/Vietnam.
>The only place they are safe is Singapore.
They're safe everywhere given that the Chinese are always the elites in said countries sans godforsaken shitholes like Burma/Laos.
>>
>>1832177
>filipino
>said anyone shithole
you don't even have history
>>
>>1830969
This is by far the most crodwed place ive ever been in.

Doesn't let you fully appreciate its beauty :(
>>
>>1831151
Oh they hated chinese dispora long before the mainlanders acted like dicks
>>
>>1832285
Diaspora chinese are regarded as jews of asia due to their similar history and characteristics
>>
>>1832177
>Chinese are always the elites
That would explain why they treated them like Jews. Most of em are merchant too.
>>
File: Naresuan5.jpg (155KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Naresuan5.jpg
155KB, 700x1000px
>>1830755
what are some good movies on SEA history? I watched legend of suriyothai and king naresuan, pretty decent. anything similar to that?
>>
>>1832158
Southern Italians are already pretty dark and alot of them have black blood in them. They hide it well but a lot of them have nappy hair
>>
>>1831027
Those few who are legit With Her (tm) would disagree, but they deserve to die.
>>
>>1831311
lets be honest, "Chinese" is just as vague of a term as "Indian". It's not like anybody called them Han.
>>
>>1831337
ethinicity =/= genetics

You probably have some Austronesian in you.

>I was born with very white skin and now I'm pretty brown.

This happens to everyone. I had blonde hair and blue eyes as a toddler and now have dark brown hair and green eyes. It's why we find fairer traits on women attractive, they look younger.
>>
>>1832707
>Southern Italians are already pretty dark and alot of them have black blood in them.

go back to your cuck shed Quentin
>>
>>1832904
But Han or Hua was synonymous with Chinese.

The natives of those provinces were governed differently and often payed lip service to the central regime.
>>
File: F1.large.jpg (332KB, 986x1024px) Image search: [Google]
F1.large.jpg
332KB, 986x1024px
>>1832904
for thesake of the argument, its more correct to say that south east asia is a mix of south and east asia, rather than to say, indian and chinese, since the conception of indian and chinese is a modern construct and going into detail would lead to confusion
though to be clear, the ancestors of thais, laos, and vietnamese do come from south china and share the same genetic with southern chinese
>>
>>1832177
Its because the North East Asian breeds are just more intelligent than their southern neighbors which is why they easily take them over due to their mental competence landing them good jobs.
>>
File: Rplot26.png (45KB, 1344x831px) Image search: [Google]
Rplot26.png
45KB, 1344x831px
>>1833686
>though to be clear, the ancestors of thais, laos, and vietnamese do come from south china and share the same genetic with southern chinese
Not this meme again. Southern Han overlap with Tujia,Miao and She people not Dai or Vietnamese.
>>
>>1832817
I'm very anti-Trump (although I'm not With Her), but Wahhabism is the cancer of the Middle East
>>
>>1830755
Anyone think civilization would have developed better if the climate was more temperate than tropical, jungles are the shittiest places to develop societies because they host the most dangerous parasites and diseases on earth along with being muddy and wet most of the time.
>>
How come Vietnam didn't develop a cool martial arts culture like China, Japan, Korea, and Thailand did
>>
>>1832595
It differs. Only Indonesians genocided their chink population, largely because the Dutch taught them. In Thailand and in the Philippines they're just the plain elite.
>>
File: Kiem Sword.jpg (124KB, 383x550px)
Kiem Sword.jpg
124KB, 383x550px
>>1834428
Largely because Vietnamese martial arts = Chinese martial arts.

I mean, there's really nothing different even in the weaponry,
>Sword - kiếm (from the Chinese "Jian" or even ancient Chinese "Giem")
>Saber/Glaive/Knife - Đao (from the Chink "Dao")
>Spear - Thương (From "Qiang" or its ancient equivalent in Old Chinese).
And so on and so forth.
>>
File: just.png (143KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
just.png
143KB, 640x640px
>>1834482
>tfw you will always be the dollar-store version of Chinese people
>>
IT AINT ME
>>
>>1833713
Slow down there /pol/, with that logic you're also inferior to East Asians because East Asians in all Western countries on average make more than their native counterparts despite the bulk of them being poor immigrants from the Tiananmen era or earlier. You also hate Jews, lol

>>1831337
Ban den tu Da Nẵng
>>
>>1833713
If you think this then you then you also have to acknowledge that the same was true for Jews in Europe.

They were more intelligent than their host populations which caused similar kind of resentment and eventually led to the Holocaust.
>>
>>1831013
>Southeast Asians adopted civilization from India just like Italians adopted from Greeks.
this is a poor comparison
>>
File: 1444.jpg (451KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1444.jpg
451KB, 1920x1080px
how accurate is this map?
>>
>>1835824
I suppose it would make more sense to say Latins and Etruscans than 'Italians', seeing as southern Italy was actually colonised by Greeks. But beyond that it was a similar process, where native societies grew more complex and more connected with other regions over time, so that local elites became exposed to the civilizations of Greater Greece/India and adopted the trappings of those civilizations to legitimize their rule and raise their prestige.
>>
>>1836470

100%, based johan only creates awesome historically accurate games. Can't wait for that next expansion pack! BTW, anyone have any tips for uniting the UK? Scotland always beats me :c
>>
>>1836470
Why is the Philippines bereft of any state entity?
>>
File: Boxer Codex-116.jpg (160KB, 450x632px) Image search: [Google]
Boxer Codex-116.jpg
160KB, 450x632px
>>1836833
>>1836833
Meme Paradox not as gud as historians /his/ & /vg/ thinks they are.

Off the bat I can name you the ff.
>Selurong (a.k.a Kingdom of Manila. Started Pagan, became Muslim)
>A Raj in Tondo (Pagan, but became Muslim)
>Sultanate of Sulu
>Sultanate of Maguindanao.
>A Raj in Pampanga (Pagan then Kebab)
>A Raj in Cebu.(Pagan.)
>A Raj in Kaboloan (today Pangasinan, Pagan)
>Kedatuan (Tribal Confedaracy) of Madya-as (Pagan then Muslim).
Also while not a state entity, the so-called Mountain People (Ifugao, Bontoc, and Igorot tribes) that occupy the highland mountain ranges now called the Cordilleras in Northern Luzon were a well defined, separate cultural and ethnic group of Non-Malay-influenced fierce Austronesian headhunters. Nobody fucked with them, even Spain.

Also Anon's Map seems to be of the 1300s. The problem with the Philippines is earlier than mid 1400s all you have to work with is Oral Tradition. Literature in the form of Indonesian-derived Indian-descended scripts showed up in the 1400s and extensive record keeping, in the 1500s.

That said, said states occupied smallish hegemonies and whole singular Islands (in the case of Sulu and Cebu). And that was it. In between hung small tribal groups, semi-nomads, and Chinese & Japanese & Sino-Japanese Smugglers & Pirate forts (actually more like small communities of East Asians given that pirates brought their senpaitachi with them or married local women). With no major power to rule over everything and with powers friendly to said Pirates (many Filipino entities were raiders themselves), what would be the Philippine Islands was pretty much the Tortuga of the East.
>>
>>1830755
Most irrelevant place on Earth.
>>
>>1832258
depend on the season, on the correct time it won't be so crowded
which place do you go in SEA? there's many historical place outside bangkok
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 234980298.jpg (548KB, 1296x911px) Image search: [Google]
234980298.jpg
548KB, 1296x911px
>>
File: Kalasan Temple.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Kalasan Temple.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1831119
Just the result of Hiduism/Bhuddism and Indian culture spreading to and influencing SE Asia
>>
File: Ancient Filipino Mythology.jpg (105KB, 736x651px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Filipino Mythology.jpg
105KB, 736x651px
>>1830976
>for example the indonesian created their own brand of hinduism i think
Filipino's did
>>
File: IMG_2125.png (26KB, 192x128px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2125.png
26KB, 192x128px
>>1836470
I just finished a Manipur game where I conquered all of the Bengal megaregion and converted it to Sanamahism, while trying to get into as many foreign wars as possible to cash on that pretty damn good loot speed boost, role playing as the Meitei or Chin raiding hill tribes "Manipur" is supposed to represent.

I got kinda bored. But then I got a Kind-Hearted, Incorruptible queen with great stats who married a Just Burmese prince, and got an event about my "heretic" spouse. This gave me the idea to convert to Theravada Buddhism. After reconverting all of my kingdom, she died and with her Inspiring Leader son I conquered all of the Indochinese region, set up marches in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, saved the Buddhist kingdom on Sumatra, converted Malaysia, vassalised Tibet and Majapahit, and then got into an almost 40 years war with Ming China, where they threw hundreds of thousands of men at forts in the Burmese northern mountains, then at forts in the Naga hills once I got rekt in Tibet. And then they got attacked by the Manchu and the Japanese, then got torn apart by rebels. I set up a Theravada vassal in Yunnan, and decided that was a good place to stop. My obsession with setting up vassals was coming back to bite me in the ass, a few of them were about to try to get free.

Might be the most fun I've had with this game. Made me wish they had fleshed out the Philippines and Indonesia more.

Also Manipur has a God-tier flag.
>>
File: 1475326917444.jpg (2MB, 2982x2876px) Image search: [Google]
1475326917444.jpg
2MB, 2982x2876px
Does anyone here have the Empire of Dust image with the copypasted Filipino and American flags over the faces of the African and Chinese dude?

Why do Southeast Asian countries have awful traffic?

Pic is a Philippine 'express' way during a weekend.
>>
File: kJTQn7U.gif (721KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
kJTQn7U.gif
721KB, 245x245px
>>1838465
>>
>>1839575
Los Angeles freeway aren't much better any time of the week m8.
That said,
>no real driver's license test
>80%+ driving with no license
>not much traffic cops
>chink driver influence
>>
>>1839575
>>1839637
>>/int/
>>1839618
thats vishnu dumbass
>>
>>1839618
You're retarded
>>
>>1839486
>Might be the most fun I've had with this game. Made me wish they had fleshed out the Philippines and Indonesia more.
They're supposed to be this empty for easy colonization.
>>
>>1830988
>>1830976
>indonesian created their own brand of hinduism
Hinduism is extremely adaptable.

I believe when Indian culture coming the native don't have what you would consider as high culture so local ruler just used Hinduism to bring their community to next level, then joined whatever local belief with Hinduism.
>>
File: Ati_woman.jpg (252KB, 630x567px) Image search: [Google]
Ati_woman.jpg
252KB, 630x567px
>>1839648
>>1839664
Yeah. Right. Vishnu is BLUE!! That's just a racist represention of the African minorities that have been present in Asia for THOUSANDS of years.

Here is strong AFRICAN-FILIPINO girl. You racist chinks genocided them, tried to bury their History, and on top of all that you mock them in shows hiding behind the "cultural traditions" shield.

Guess what's also ""cultural traditions"" ? Minstrel shows and Zwart Piet.

Go back to /pol/ with this shit, racists are not welcome here.
>>
>>1836470
I'm actually playing a Majahapit game right now

Malacca get fucked
>>
>>1839618

I see what you did there.
>>
>>1839722
Why must you troll alt-right dipshits? You know that all it does is make them sperg out in quality threads where they shouldn't be sperging,
>>
File: 3432454423.png (337KB, 1237x488px) Image search: [Google]
3432454423.png
337KB, 1237x488px
>>1839722
WE
>>
>>1839705
I know, but still. They fleshed out the Americas, put tribes that were certainly less organised than Filipino tribes or sultanates, and the Americas are the definition of colonisation bait.

They could have fleshed out the region, but added events similar to how Portugal gets Goa for free when they show up in India, giving a few provinces to the British, Dutch, Spanish or Portuguese once they get enough trade power in the trade node, and then let the AI conquer by itself.
>>
File: 1458418406259.png (289KB, 1020x521px) Image search: [Google]
1458418406259.png
289KB, 1020x521px
>>1839909
WOKE
>>
File: 1454984004685-2.png (1006KB, 840x623px) Image search: [Google]
1454984004685-2.png
1006KB, 840x623px
>>1839909
>>1839925
Jesus, I was just trolling. Didn't know some American Blacks actually believe this shit. What the fuck.

>that white girl commenting on the Facebook post

kek
>>
>>1836918
>>1838994
>>1839722

Bumping for more.
Would be interesting to see a movie take place sometime in the 1400s in pre-colonial Philippines
>>
>>1831191
Viet here
Cham are muslim cuck who declare jihad on Đại Việt multiple time after they become Muslim. They were so hated that after conquest we make sure they are cucked for good. Now you see them as the poorest people in Vietnam and less than 1 % of them even attend college
>>
>>1834518
Don't worry Vietbro, we are the only one here reliably fought against the Chinese with good track record
>>
>>1839722
Negritos are so subhuman the Filipino tribes found them literally living in the trees.
>>
>>1840951
>look at history
>chams are basically malays of indochina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chams#Religious_history_and_change

The Muslims from Champa were streaming upriver into Cambodia looking for trade, influence and better security than was found under the Vietnamese suzerainty at Phanrang. By 1642, a new king of Cambodia, Cau Bana Cand Ramadhipati, had taken the throne, who found the Muslims the only powerful and organised group he could count on for effective support. The following year, he converted to Islam and took the throne name of Sultan Ibrahim. He then proceeded to set up a Muslim sultanate in Cambodia on the Malay model. He then “commanded the nobility to follow his example, and made much fuss about mass public conversion of the elite. “[Sultan Ibrahim] said to the ministers, mandarins and royal servants of all service groups, “You must all enter the religion of Allah. Anyone who refuses to enter must leave the royal service.” Fearful of royal authority, the dignitaries and all the mandarins agreed to all embrace the religion of Mahomet....The ministers, the mandarins, and all the royal servants all participated, without exception, in the ritual. When the king returned to the august royal palace, he ordered, “The king and the members of the royal family must wear a long tunic and always insert a kris in it.” ((Chroniques royales du Cambodge (de 1594 à 1677), trans. Mark Phoeum (Paris: l’Ecole Française d’Extreme-Orient, 1981), 190)) He launched the Cambodian–Dutch War to expel the Dutch. The Vietnamese Nguyen Lords toppled Ibrahim from power to restore Buddhist rule.

>cambodians were muslim for short time

history could be very different without you viets
>>
File: Ifugao warrior.jpg (69KB, 322x500px) Image search: [Google]
Ifugao warrior.jpg
69KB, 322x500px
>>1839722
> You racist chinks genocided them
The Austronesians sort of genocided those nignogs first
>Early ADs
>Be Austronesian Headhunters migrating from what is now Southern China/Taiwan.
>Aeta: "Hello friend, what brings you from-"
>*teleports behind you*
>*unsheathes axe*
>Nothing personnel, extremely dark person.
>*beheads u*
>MUH HONOR! I AM MAN NOW! LET US GET ME INKED AND DRINK RICE WINE AND BUILD RETARDED TERRACES OF RICE!
>RICE!!1!!!

And then Aetas became a shore-based/low land people. Only to btfo by the Austro-Malays arriving in boats around the 800s-1000s.
>Aeta: Hello friends-who-come-from-floating-tree-husks. How do you d-
>Austro-Malays: "BY THE GODS THEY ARE BLACK. Make the males and children slaves and rape anything female!"
>>
>>1836470
What is this game ? I'm new around here.
>>
>>1841220
Europa Universalis 4
>>
What are examples of Vietnamese mythological creatures?

Are they just Chinese ones pretty much
>>
>>1841150
that doesn't looks like asian at all
is that what native filipino before colonisation looks like?
>>
>>1841615
>>1841615
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_mythology
>http://www.vietnam-culture.com/zones-4-1/Myths-and-Legends.aspx
>http://magicalgains.blogspot.com/2013/05/vietnamese-mythical-creatures.html
>>
>>1839909
so, nogs know nothing about the indian civs right?
good.
>>
>>1841146
>be hindu buddhist
>convert to muslim
>sperg out at dutch

This could be history of indonesia desu

>tfw no one to stop us converting to islam and revert to hindu buddhism
>>
>>1841150
More like
>pre/proto Austronesians settle Taiwan during the early Chinese neolithic
>Ami like males arrive in the Philippines.
>>
>>1841150
are blacks really gonna claim Filipino ancestry now?
>>
File: Mactan Battle.jpg (264KB, 1440x727px) Image search: [Google]
Mactan Battle.jpg
264KB, 1440x727px
>>1844053

we wuz datus
>>
I just wanna get out of this country and move to the US
>>
>>1832177
What the fuck did you say about Laos

There are more people starving in Vietnam PER CAPITAL than LAOs do you research! On WIKIPEDIA quickly.
>>
>>1843668
The Dutch reshuffled the caste system. Arab muslim traders that had their families settled in indonesia decaden beforehand were completely marginalized, while muslim indonesians were tolerated because they facilitated trade.

Not to mention the Black Javanese that were used (soldiers of ghanese descend - not slaves but 'gifts' from the king of the ashanti for educating the crown prince and a princess if I recall) who ended up higher on the totempole than those same arab traders.

The Dutch didnt like competition.
>>
why is indonesia so big?

what keep all those islands together? most of them arent even the same religion or language
>>
>>1845620
Colonialism, common market, cold war
>>
>>1845594
what?
are you shit posting?
>>
>>1845777
What part do you think was shitposting?
>>
File: 781px-Majapahit_Empire.svg.png (120KB, 781x457px) Image search: [Google]
781px-Majapahit_Empire.svg.png
120KB, 781x457px
>>1845620
colonialism
blind nationalism
javanese imperialism
nusantara historical ties
>>
>>1845799
everything you wewuz fag
>>
>>1835733
He didn't say anything about inferiority mate, he was just asking why there are differences in skin color in Vietnam
>>
>>1836470
Aceh in reality is in pasai
>>
>>1845811
Not really; muslims were much easier to trade with than hindus, being vaguely regarded as fellow children of the book. The Dutch special branch of Calvinism was/is basically 'chosen people'-tier with added proddy capitalism. It is no wonder that it is mostly the Eurasians ended up being the majority Christian population in Indonesia. You couldnt properly convert anyways, so the Indo muslims got added benifits from being easy to trade with compared to Hindu/Buddhists, so they were favoured over others.

Also; you might want to Google the black javanese as they were actually a thing, and not wewuz bullshit either - as I never claimed them being origineel javanese or something, but used as an example of people being put in preferential positions by the Dutch as long as they were useful.

Tl;dr the muzzies were the most useful and therefore allowed to stick around
>>
>>1845826
christians in indonesia are majority abos and jungle nogs you imbecile
and muslims are the ones fighting dutch the most stop shitposting
>>
File: early-history-5-638.jpg (158KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
early-history-5-638.jpg
158KB, 638x479px
bump
>>
File: attack_of_malacca_1.jpg (83KB, 727x504px) Image search: [Google]
attack_of_malacca_1.jpg
83KB, 727x504px
>>
File: attack_of_malacca_2.jpg (42KB, 400x246px) Image search: [Google]
attack_of_malacca_2.jpg
42KB, 400x246px
>>
>>1836918
the map is supposed to be 1444
>>
>>1845848
Google belanda hitam, m9

Also; west papua was the last bit of Indonesia loyal to the Dutch and remained that way well into the cold war. It was initially to be a eurasian homeland until its invasion.
>>
>>1846201
>>1845594
interesting, but the thing is most indonesian don't really know them, and the sentence you wrote first is not clearly written so it looks like you're joking, aside i think indian and south asian colonial soldier are more common thing here

>>1845826
the dutch are very pragmatic, they allied with hindus, muslims, and chinese at different times when these groups fight against each other

arabs are sidelined by the dutch, but then again arabs are never dominant here, and they're still highly revered as religious leader by local people
>>
>>1830988
Hmong too but no one wants to bring them up because they're retarded and single handedly drag the entire Asian race down.
>>
>>1845819
Not him but Aceh shouldn't be there. It's not in the normal 1444 start so idk why it's there.
Maybe a later start date.
>>
>>1845388
ASEAN?
>>
>>1839909
>Indonesia

kek! Those are rakshashas!
>>
Dutch here, what's the general consensus on us these days in (especially) Indonesia?
>>
>>1847995
cucks.

But honestly, no colony has ever been as disconnected to its former master as Indonesia. Most Indonesians couldn't tell you what's going on in the Netherlands recently, let alone locate it on a map.
>>
IT AINT ME
>>
>>1848013
Strange, because from our side there still seems to be quite a connection with Indonesia. Of course this is because of the indonesian minorities, but we even have things like Indonesian history in the high school curriculum
>>
>>1850524
Indonesia is strange in the fact that most of the mixed peoples left back to the home country, most other colonies retain some aspect of their overlords culture. Indonesians somehow managed to return to a pristine poor jungle people society
>>
>>1850546
Thats pretty much most of southeast asia though, you won't see much mixed french in indochina as well as you won't see much mixed brits in malaysia and singapore, the only exception is probably philippine here
>>
>>1831312
even today in the north of Laos, Burma and Thailand tribal people live side by side and clearly migrated from nepal, burma, southern china based on current borders. you can visit one village and one the next hill see another village with totally different language, culture, religion and side by side easily see no similarity. was in one village and one side of a foot path they were Animist but had an old print of Jesus on their altar and the other side of the footpath Theravada Buddhist but also worshiped ancestors ceremonially like Chinese
>>
>>1838994
in Bali that is true but you see differences even in India from village to village
>>
>>1831027
100% agree, with all their greed and double dealings they're pretty much the real life version of /pol/s jew
>>
How come indonesia still allows FPI as legal organization?
Has no one realized the threat yet?
>>
>>1831140
Would love to see books about the islands, peoples, cultures, and polities in the eastern half of that image. The information on Wikipedia is very brief, and in the case of west Papua almost non-existent.
>>
Fun fact: the Makassari had pre-European contact with northern Australian tribes (such as the Yolngu). There would have been a few Aboriginals hanging around Indonesia in the 1700s, working as shiphands.
>>
>>1831067
Indons kept building on top of things.

Meanwhile mudslime destroy anything they touch.
>>
how come vietnam doesnt have alot of giant great temples like cambodia, thailand, japan, and china
>>
File: dc_150825_chuaBaiDinh.jpg (838KB, 1803x1291px) Image search: [Google]
dc_150825_chuaBaiDinh.jpg
838KB, 1803x1291px
>>1855144
they do, and where do you think > >>1831139 is this?
>>
>>1855308
Damn. Where is that?

Got more?
>>
>>1838994
IS sitan fucking gandalf/odin?
>>
>>1854566
It consist of some maritime polities, pirate enclaves, and various jungle tribes, nothing really going on there until late 15th century, most of them are closer to pacific islanders than to south east asians, and will probably regarded as so if they separate from indonesia
Papuans are basically abos, and have the same race and culture as papua new guineans
>>
>>1854305
What's FPI?
>>
File: Capture.png (43KB, 1135x387px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
43KB, 1135x387px
>>1856384
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deities_of_Philippine_mythology#Ancient_Tagalog_Deities
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.