[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Religion and the veil of time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1449357757757.jpg (110KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1449357757757.jpg
110KB, 640x360px
[Based off of another post]

When one investigates modern religions (As early as the reformation but most apparent in the 19th Century onwards) beyond the surface levels they quickly appear to be fabrications or human creations no matter how well meaning the creators intent; being very arbitrary and lacking a connection to the divine.

Because of issues like this religions from ancient times seem to be far more pure, consistent and in touch with the divine.
However when I looked into religions like apostolic Christianity and Theravada Buddhism (which I was initially very keen on ) I was eventually put off by the troubles that face ancient historians.

This is because the seemingly objective purity, consistency and divinity of it was illusory. For the idea that the teachings of groups like the Church Fathers for Christians or the Elders for the Th. Buddhists represent the unchanging consensus of the ideas of their times. However what they do represent is simply the ideas that were able to and most importantly allowed to be preserved.

Very very very little documentation remains from these times even liked and uncontroversial works like the biography of Cicero or the actual works of figures from the Helenistic schools. Christian religion becomes more complicated in that whichever group was politically dominant would literally destroy the works they deemed heretical or false and sometimes this would even go back and forth between groups.

So in the end aside from when we find works that were either hidden away and forgotten or dug out of garbage we are only left with the documents that the politically dominant group decided to and at great expense and effort were able to keep.

[P1}
>>
File: 1449357675197.jpg (3MB, 2952x1948px) Image search: [Google]
1449357675197.jpg
3MB, 2952x1948px
>>1830618
[P2]
The most damming evidence around modern religions tends to be found in third party evidence - particularly regarding their founders and key figures lives and reports from ex members from their hierarchies and these documents simply do not exist in any great number or quality from ancient times. At best you have tiny snippets or a letter that were sourced from a longer document seeking to refute them - hence its kind of like trying to understand a book from the quotes in a polemic essay.

For modern religions there is no great veil of time and likewise writing and record keeping is no longer a cloistered activity which can be dominated to prevent counter narratives - hence why modern religions - seem impure and corrupted by default.

I was curious if anyone else has had thoughts on this issue.
>>
You're too intelligent for 4chan
>>
The writings of the church fathers were retreads by the church and its irish monks
>>
>>1831592
>were retreads by the church

Which is the the issue I bring up in my OP, the materials that proved L Ron Hubbard was a fraud were not materials kept or produced by the church of scientology
>>
>>1831636
As Hegel would say, there is no objective truth, just opposing opinions.
>>
>>1831651
>As Hegel would say, there is no objective truth, just opposing opinions.

Which has very serious consequences
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.