[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open-Mindedness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2969.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2969.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
I have been thinking about the idea of open mindedness.

I feel like the way people form a cohesive word view is ultimately by strawmanning other "inferior" points of view so that their own "superior" ideas can exist as the "correct" position within their mind. If this is the case would it be better to hold an apathetic and indifferent attitude towards ideas and concepts, especially your own? Would this kind of thinking prevent climate conflict and lead to self-growth?

Discuss.
>>
>>1830010
>climate
Shit I don't know why I typed that, pls ignore that.
>>
>>1830010

Creating a common point of view, a language, a common interpretation of the reality are the bases for culture and society. Of course, every culture has to believe that its own point of view is the only rational point of view. This scheme is never questioned or it won't be strong enough to make people together. You have to believe that you are right and the other are wrong, or your beliefs won't be effective when you'll have to use them to make choices (I'm talking of ethics and moral).

So, you need to have a point of view, a strong one, to live in society, but often people are not sensible enough to understand that morals are point of view and not reality.

that's my opinion
>>
>>1830010
>would it be better to hold an apathetic and indifferent attitude towards ideas and concepts, especially your own?

as opposed to what? why would it better? what are you hoping to accomplish?

>Would this kind of thinking prevent conflict

yes

>and lead to self-growth?

not likely
>>
>>1830010
just stick to your own understanding - that's what people do in the end anyhow.

For myself I find that most ideas and positions have some value and have some truth, just the range where they apply varies.
>>
>>1830083
Why would being open to new ideas not lead to self growth? As >>1830103 said most other ideas have at least some truth to them so why would you not benefit from throughly weighing out alternative opinions?
>>
>>1830010
>hold an apathetic and indifferent attitude towards ideas and concepts

Impossible. You will always have a bias, no matter how much you try to suppress it.

The best you can do is try to recognize your bias and your thought patterns and adapt accordingly.
>>
>>1831417
when i said "not likely" i was referring to apathy and indifferent attitudes towards new ideas and concepts.

i dont have any personal beliefs or views and im as dull as nails.

>>1831482
wrong
>>
>>1831493
>i dont have any personal beliefs or views

If that was the case then you wouldn't have even posted in this thread. You are clearly an opinionated person, just in deep denial.
>>
>>1830010
>would it be better
Why do you thin your idea is "better" hence "superior" to others, wouldn't it be better [queue infinite regress].

Die of diarrea.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.