[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand why Spain didn't conquer Portugal.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: spain-regions-map,jpg.jpg (64KB, 432x505px) Image search: [Google]
spain-regions-map,jpg.jpg
64KB, 432x505px
I don't understand why Spain didn't conquer Portugal.
>>
They tried got memed on
>>
>>1828800
They inherited it, though. Had it for 60 years.

And to answer you, a combination of Portugal being better at warfare in their own territory and allies sometimes.
>>
>>1828800
They tried a few times, they did got Olivenza though.
>>
>>1828800
Because you don't just conquer territory like in total war: you have the willingness of them absorbing your culture, paying taxes, recognising you as monarch, other countries lobby you for freedom, do the costs of maintaining control outweigh the money made from it.

The last one is why England left Tangier even though they'd win every battle they fought
>>
>>1828839
wtf it's only like 50 diplo to change provincial culture. Did they not wipe our morocco?
>>
>>1828800

Cause Spain does not exist to please your wishes
>>
>>1828800

I don't understand why the USA never conquered Canada.
>>
>>1828800
Because Portugal is allied with England
>>
>>1828800
The gyus in charge of central Spain have never been able to capture the hearts of the peoples of the iberian peninsula-
>>
Either because of France or because of GB, depending on the period. The franco-spanish war was the nail on the coffin for Habsburg rule in continental Europe.
>>
File: canadian_hospitality.jpg (226KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
canadian_hospitality.jpg
226KB, 686x385px
>>1828892
wew lad
>>
>>1828905
This.

England does not allow one European country to have too much power on the continent.
>>
it's such an oddity isn't it?

I mean they're just surrounded by the Spaniards, aren't they?

with the sea at their backs, and a smaller population
>>
>>1828974

those aren't canadians, lel
>>
>>1828981
when you discover andorra you will shit bricks
>>
>>1828888
checked
>>
remember when there were like 7 or 8 different kingdoms in the iberian peninsula?
>>
>>1829006

haha yeah #tbt #goodtimes #feudalism
>>
>>1829006
never, unless you count muslim petty kingdoms (taifas)
>>
>>1829006
Oh i member
>>
File: Kingdoms.jpg (45KB, 594x568px) Image search: [Google]
Kingdoms.jpg
45KB, 594x568px
>>1829014

Why not?
>>
>>1828984
u mad americuck?
>>
>>1828800
they did once

also because Portugal saved their ass in the Napoleonic wars
>>
>>1829039
>slav city

??
>>
>>1829044
Leave for a Leaf to steal the accomplishments of the English.
>>
>>1828800
Where do I start?

Well.
1 - In terms of genetic traits, Portugal and Spain are fairly similar (not totally, which is a consequence of point 2).

2 - There were differences in the races that lived in each territory throughout history. Celts covered all Portugal and most Spanish areas.
However, Lusitanians and Gallaeci covered Portugal and Galiza, while Aquitanians and other Iberian tribes covered Spain. During the germanic invasions, 2 tribes invaded Iberia. The Suebis and the Visigoths. The Suebis, once again, ruled in Portugal, while the Visigoths lived in Spain.

3 - The differences in point 2 explain why Portugal exists. It has one identity by itself, due to the differences with Spain throughout times.

4 - Until the 17th century, Spain/Castille had been in constant war with Portugal. The reasons behind these wars was the Spanish intent to conquer Portugal. Ironically, the only time they manage to accomplish that was through some English-royal-family-mess style mess, that if you want me to explain with detail it would be my pleasure. Basically, the king Filipe II of Spain; I of Portugal was the grandson of Manuel I (that was a fucking rich king), therefore, he was the legit heir to the throne. This lasted for 60 years, but Portugal was still a country, ruled by Portuguese under the Habsburg eye. Filipe II really liked Portugal, but his sons didn't. A coup took place in Lisbon, and Portugal is back on track with its own king again. Spain tries to get Portugal again but fails.

4 - We had England by our side. They helped us, we helped them, that's it. Then the backstab happened, and I guess the Windsor treaty means nothing nowadays.

5 - The only time they could have been conquered was during the 19th and 20th century, because they had no army after the Napoleonic wars, even though Portugal successfully resisted the invasion. However, Spain was also weak as fuck during that period. It would have been a "drunk fight".

Cont.
>>
>>1829289

>visigoths, Ostrogoths
>Vandals etc
>>
>>1828800

they tried in the XVIII century and performed terribly. Also, Portugal is allied to England.

Also, the Portuguese really really dont want to be Spanish. It is not worth it to have a guerrilla war, and riling over people who would hate you.

At most, Spain could have gotten the other cities like Olivenza, that are on the east of the Guadiana, to get "natural borders".
>>
>>1829524
>portuguese dont want to be spanish

same as spanish dont wanna be portuguese.

that means a nation annexing the other.

Instead of that, offer them to merge into Hispanialike some kind of iberian federation to have a stronger position in the EU defending their iberian interests
>>
>>1829504

6 - I'm not sure of this, but the Portuguese army/fighters (until the 19th century) was/were one of the most skilled in Europe. This characteristic can be traced back to Lusitanians, known for the ass whoopings they delivered to Roman legions.

7 - Luck. Spain tried to get Portugal during World War 2. I don't know much more about this because the Portuguese history gets irrelevant after the 18-19th century, since the country becomes shit due to many reasons.
>>
>>1829522
They were germanic tribes, not slavs
>>
>>1829542

if they ever become the same country, it will be in the switzerland way, and the proposal should come from the portuguese.
>>
>>1828892
We tried during the Revolution, and couldn't take Quebec.
>>
>>1829542
Hispania = Spain

Hispania = Roman Iberia

Iberia = Spain

>Spain is basically the simple name for United Kingdoms of Iberia, or the Great Iberia

Portuguese despise Castilians (the masterminds behind Spain)
>>
>>1828892
Because they lost
>>
File: Podemos 2016.jpg (63KB, 960x561px) Image search: [Google]
Podemos 2016.jpg
63KB, 960x561px
>>1828800
Because we don't need towels for women with moustache. And because they are bros.
>>
>>1828991
underrated post
>>
File: 1471798802428.jpg (1MB, 1800x1642px) Image search: [Google]
1471798802428.jpg
1MB, 1800x1642px
His name...was nuno

If you grew up in Portugal and knew the history, this man alone was your hero and your idol.

(Though I was also very found of Prince Henry the navigator)
>>
>>1831292
For context this man broke the siege of Lisbon and marched a vastly put numbered army to the spainish capital broke their army CAPTURED the city and forced spain to admit defeat.

The idea that portugal is forever out numbered and out gunned came from him.

But he is also the reason why we believe that faith and determination can overwhelm the enemy
>>
>>1828984

So? It still happened in a war where the US tried to take Canada.
>>
>>1828984
Most of the British regulars were Canadians by this point friend.

It was a British colony with SOME troops from great Britain vs the union.
>>
>>1829542
That happened with the union of crowns and it was the direct cause for the downfall of our empires. Suddenly we became at war with our political ally (england) and our commercial ally (the netherlands) who were more that happy to plunder and take our colonies.

That said there are a lot of people who like the idea of a federalized Iberia in the modern era but it's not a serious project in any way.
>>
>>1831300
He was still just a feudal lord doing feudal lordly things, though, he wasn't the patriotic hero everyone romanticizes him to be. He threatened to defect to the spanish side after the revolution, too.
>>
>>1829504

what is this betrayal
>>
>>1829289

Taifas whose ruling dynasties were of Slavic origins
>The taifa was created in 1010, after the disintegration of the Caliphate of Córdoba, by the freed slave Mujahid al-Siqlabi, a former high functionary of the caliphate, who probably had a Slavic origin since Arabs called Slavs as Siqlab/Siqlav.
>>
File: Hispania_560_AD.png (113KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hispania_560_AD.png
113KB, 600x600px
>>1829504

Meh,
Suebic kingdom was conquered by the Goths, who already ruled a fair bunch of Portugal.
A indentity which was born from Galicia, not from Suebs.
You wrote that just like Portugal never tried to gain the upper hand agaisnt Leon or Castile. It always makes me smile how a Castilian king with right over the Portuguese crown who enters with an army in Portugal and is defeated its an invasion, but when it wins he just "inherites" the throne, btw.
>>
>>1829554
>Spain tried to get Portugal during World War 2
wot.
Spain during the WW2 was going throught a post civil war and was trying to recover of that. Where did you read that?
>>
when will al-andalus be retaken?
>>
>>1832765

>El joven introductor del discurso donde se anunciaba la intención de constituir un nuevo califato, reconquistar Al Andalus y morir por la yihad ha cumplido su promesa. Varias páginas yihadistas han facilitado una fotografía de su cádaver en la que aparece tumbado sobre una túnica azul, con las manos cruzadas en el pecho, los ojos cerrados y la misma camiseta que exhibía en el vídeo, pero esta vez ensangrentada.
>reconquistar Al Andalus y morir por la yihad ha cumplido su promesa
>reconquistar Al Andalus y morir (...) ha cumplido su promesa
>morir
>ha cumplido su promesa

Never.
>>
>>1831991
So? He really inherited it. He had portuguese nobles backing him up. There was a fight, but he was the legit heir. If he wasn't, no one would be backing him up.
>>
>>1828800
It did and portugal got independent thanks to France and Sweden.
>>
>>1828892
because then they would be more vulnerable to russia. canada works like a human shield.
>>
>>1833283
So what? He conquered it. With spanish troops. In a war.
>>
>>1828800
Its really pointless in the grand scheme of things such a small piece of European land that isnt that resource rich.
>>
>>1828800
Only through the power of Islam could Portugal and Spain be united
>>
>>1831314
Iirc the soldiers that burned down the White House were Redcoats fresh from fighting Napolean. Who took on some Canadian colonials when they arrived to bolster their number.
>>
>>1834344
underrated post.
>>
>>1828991
how the fuck....
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.