[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the Catholic church still use the concept of heresy? Are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16

File: Supplice_des_Amauriciens.jpg (49KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
Supplice_des_Amauriciens.jpg
49KB, 600x500px
Does the Catholic church still use the concept of heresy? Are Protestants considered heretical? If not, what is the current definition of heresy?
>>
>what is the current definition of heresy?
not liking the superior faith of islam
>>
I don't know if they do, but I would imagine so, because, though I'm Orthodox, my priest uses the term not irregularly, as does the priest at the parish closest to mine.

We define it as any deviation from dogma, either by adding, by subtracting, by distorting, or by developing.
>>
>>1828173
Do you honestly do anything outside of building up your epic internet persona?
>>
File: more honorable turk.jpg (17KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
more honorable turk.jpg
17KB, 229x220px
>>1828225
namaz towards Tengri, friend
>>
File: 898779798.jpg (272KB, 1583x1000px) Image search: [Google]
898779798.jpg
272KB, 1583x1000px
>>1828167
Practicing Catholic here.

The word is used here and there (this depends on the priest, as well). Most of the Church today tries the pastoral approach (kind and friendly), so mostly it's mostly the traditional priests that use the word more often.

It can certainly be used for Protestants, but variations of the word can also be used for other faiths. After a homily, we recently had a convert from Islam talk about "Islamic infidels that we should try to convert." Missionaries from our diocese have had great success in converting Muslims to our faith in Turkey, by the way.
>>
File: 3121212.jpg (131KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
3121212.jpg
131KB, 620x350px
>>1828173
Why do your women love the big white cock?
>>
File: 78877878.jpg (37KB, 970x574px) Image search: [Google]
78877878.jpg
37KB, 970x574px
>>1828173
European semen is prized among Muslimas.
>>
File: dreku.jpg (34KB, 419x354px) Image search: [Google]
dreku.jpg
34KB, 419x354px
>>1828331
>arab
>my women
Also if you wanna play that game you pretty much lose on default, thanks to the current state of Europe and all the images it provided for maximum /pol/ butthurt in the "blanda upp" department.
>>
File: SOBIESKI-1.jpg (265KB, 768x921px) Image search: [Google]
SOBIESKI-1.jpg
265KB, 768x921px
>>1828335
>western europeans
>my women

I hope your friends destroy their countries, desu.

So, you are a Turk. While I have you here, do your schools teach anything about the pic related man (King Sobieski III)? What's your opinion on Poland today?
>>
File: kuffir.jpg (22KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
kuffir.jpg
22KB, 250x201px
>>1828346
>do your schools teach anything about the pic related man (King Sobieski III)?
Not much unless you want to go "deeper" since it was mostly Republican history thaught in grade school during my time. But ol'Erdogan seems to turn to old Ottoman shit, atleast in the language department.

>What's your opinion on Poland today?
Toilet cleaning meme aside, I liked the Witcher series and the fact that you have national pride to stand up against the serpents of the EU.

kudos, towarzysz
>>
File: CQggakmWEAAOhZF.jpg (34KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
CQggakmWEAAOhZF.jpg
34KB, 480x320px
>>1828357
Nice, yoldaş. Are you a practicing Muslim? I hear Turkey used to be more of a culturally Muslims/secular country, but Erdogan is trying to turn this around.
>>
File: seccturk.jpg (34KB, 443x380px) Image search: [Google]
seccturk.jpg
34KB, 443x380px
>>1828383
>Are you a practicing Muslim?
In the sense of spreading the joy of Ottoman sunnism here, sure.
>I hear Turkey used to be more of a culturally Muslims/secular country, but Erdogan is trying to turn this around.
This is basically the relapse period going from Ataturks reforms slowly back to the old ways, or so people think.
It's really just political chess to keep everyone happy while keeping a lid on the k*rd problem.
>>
>>1828167
Yes.

CCC 2089

Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. "Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him."

Protestants are heretics because they reject Catholic theology, and schismatics because they reject Catholic authority.

Source is the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a1.htm

which quotes the Code of Canon Law Canon 751:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P2H.HTM
>>
>>1828167
Both Catholics and Protestants are heretical
>>
>>1828411
Let me guess, you're Orthodox?

>>1828390
kek well good luck with it

I always preferred Turks and Arabs over other Europeans.
>>
>>1828324
>It can certainly be used for Protestants, but variations of the word can also be used for other faiths. After a homily, we recently had a convert from Islam talk about "Islamic infidels that we should try to convert."

Infidel = someone not of your faith
Heretic = someone who practices your faith, but does it wrong

Two completely different things.
>>
>>1828418
>Let me guess, you're Orthodox?
The Church by Christ's and the Apostles teachings, yes.
>>
>>1829217
Here's what I don't get. The Orthodox claim to be founded by Andrew, but the Catholics claim to be founded by Peter, who's clearly the one in charge of the Apostles in both the Gospels and the Book of Acts. I mean, fuck, Andrew isn't even part of the Peter-James-John triad. If the Apostolic Churches value succession and hierarchy so much, don't the Catholics have the superior claim to authority?
>>
>>1828503
Don't they use kuffar for both concepts? As in, if you disbelieve you are one, but if you believe in the wrong way you are also one?
>>
>>1828167
Pope Francis recently excomunicated a local sect in Rome as "schismatic", don't know if it counts
>>
>>1829276
I love how Francis is mostly only "cool" when the cameras are running and the rest of the time he's just a standard pope, saving souls and purging heresies.
>>
>>1829275
yes, christians use kuffar for both concepts, when talking about the protestant kuffar who are doing it wrong, or about the islamic kuffar who should convert to christianity.
>>
>>1829240
The Orthodox Church was founded by Christ. He sent His Apostles through out the world to spread the Word. The Apostles were all of equal stature, as shown through the Council of Jerusalem in 50AD.
>>
File: training.jpg (245KB, 960x337px) Image search: [Google]
training.jpg
245KB, 960x337px
>>1829217
>Orthodox
>The Church by Christ's and the Apostles teachings, yes.
>>
File: 11457332086_f8e4eed7c0.jpg (68KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
11457332086_f8e4eed7c0.jpg
68KB, 500x333px
>>1829801
>The Apostles were all of equal stature
>>
File: 123212112321.png (211KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
123212112321.png
211KB, 499x499px
>>1829801
>The Apostles were all of equal stature
Is this what you heretics actually believe? You deny the vicar of Christ, Pope and his successors.
>>
>our Church was founded by the writings of the apostles
>well our Church was founded by Peter, personally!
>oh yeah? Well our church was founded by Jesus himself!
What's next in the escalating series? Is someone going to claim their church was founded by Mary the moment she had Christ in the womb?
>>
File: wow ok.gif (2MB, 386x345px) Image search: [Google]
wow ok.gif
2MB, 386x345px
>>1830287
>believing the myths fabricated by institutions to claim supremacy

Idiot Christfag
>>
Protestants are still technically considered heretics, we're just really nice about it.

There's a difference between protesting the church in 1530 and being a protestant today due to family/region/ignorance of catholicism.
>>
>>1830414
It does seem a little strange all the talk about healing the Catholic-Orthodox schism whereas nobody gives a shit about patching things up with Protestants.
>>
>>1830205
>>1830217
Great arguement, anons.
>>
>>1830287
Heretic? Says the one who follows a Bishop seduced by Satan for temporal power. Heretic please.
>>
>>1830418
To be fair, Luther wouldn't recognize Lutheran churches today. They shouldn't exist.. they were meant to address the excesses of the RCC and reconcile. Lutherans shouldn't exist post Vatican II.
>>
>>1830418
Orthodox churches refuse to become Catholic because they don't want accept the primacy of Rome, and haven't wanted for the last ~1000 years. It's the only obstactle toward healing the schism, the rest of theological differences are minor details.

There isn't any need for ecumenism with Protestants, because a Protestant needs only to educate himself to stop being Protestant.
>>
>>1830563
>because a Protestant needs only to educate himself to stop being Protestant.
And become atheist?
>>
File: 11233123232.jpg (101KB, 374x269px) Image search: [Google]
11233123232.jpg
101KB, 374x269px
>>1830376
(You)

>>1830565
>>1830563
Everything about modern Protestantism is contradictory. They do things just to spite Catholics. One funny example is the Protestant hate for the Virgin Mary, while their early reformers accepted Marian doctrine.
>>
>>1830462
Matthew 16:18
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

> seduced by Satan
You mock the Gospel of Matthew by calling it Satanic?
>>
>>1830598
The Pope's were more and more seduced by temporal matters and power. Christ was talking of the Faith of the Apostles, not one Apostles physically. Learn Greek and context.
>>
>>1828167
Catholicism is heresy
Become a Christian (Protestant)
>>
>>1832216
>the original church founded by Christ is heresy
>join my made up church founded by some fedora 1,500 years after the death of Christ
>>
>>1832223
>Roman Catholic Church
>The original church
Pick one.
The Roman Catholic Church started in 1054AD.
>>
>>1832223
>>1832234
The Roman Catholic Church started in 1545 AD.
>>
>>1829275
Some muslim radicals consider other sects to not be even muslim. So they become infidels instead of heretics.
>>
>>1832238
Why? The Council of Trent?
>>
>>1830563
(You)
>>
>>1830588
(You)
>>
>>1833590
Yes. Though the apostasy did exist earlier, this was Rome's official apostasy.
>>
>>1828167
Read the First Amendment
>>
>>1833645
Kill yourself
>>
>>1833670
No it says everyone has the right to religion so if your religion isn't hurting anyone it isn't a heresy

Religion doesn't hurt people, people hurt people. How can we blame something on heresy if heresy isn't a person but an action of a person
>>
>>1828167
Protestantism is full of heresy:

>Denying Christ (through the Eucharist)
>Denying the Holy Bible (by denying the deuterocanonical books, Luther calling for the burning of the Epistle of James)
>Denying the teaching of the Apostles (rejecting Tradition)
>Denying the communion of Saints
>Denying purgatory and praying for the dead
>Demonizing Mary
>Desecrating effigies of God, Jesus, Mary, Saints, and destroying biblical depictions and crucifixes
>The rapture
>Creationism
>The Earth is 6000 years old
>Anti-science
>Prosperity gospel
>Usury is OKay!
>Once saved, always saved
>Just need to say you're Christian/believe in Jesus to be saved
>Predestination (born with a silver spoon and golden crucifix going to heaven or born poor and going to hell)
>Jews are God's chosen people (free from any blemishes and we all must be subservient to them and Israel)
>Schism is actively encouraged and readily practiced
>Rejection of all theology in favor of a shallow believe whatever you want to believe nonsense
>Personal relationship with Jesus trumps all (including the bible and church) telling you everything you need to know so don't ask them preachers questions
>"Born again" virgins
>"Call no one father"
>Completely reject Jesus' incredibly clear teachings on marriage and divorce (see Matthew 19:1-12) by allowing anyone to marry and divorce
>Rejecting the millennia-old Christian teachings on abortion
>Rejecting God's plan of female mothers giving birth to human life and male priests giving birth to spiritual life (through mass and the sacraments)
>Denying any and all sacraments
>Denying the Divinity of Christ and Trinity
>Denying apostolic succession and allowing uneducated laity to preach (universal priesthood of all believers)
>Speaking gibberish and calling it tongues
>In league with the devil by wanting to rebuild a third temple for the Jews so they can bring about the end of the world and all its sufferings asap
>Referring to God or Jesus as female
>>
>>1833893
That actually sounds full of right to religion backed up by the US CONSTITUTION >>1833645
>>
>>1833856
Is this autism or advanced trolling?>>1833905
Deification of America is another heretical tenant of Protestantism
>>
>>1833972
But heresy isn't real in this case.
>>
>>1828173
>want to wash the feet of criminals
>washes the feet of muslims and negros
>/pol/ has a problem with this

REEEEEE
>>
Calling someone a heretic is literally just showing the world you have ignorance. Many Christians are tolerant of other religions and is fundamentally the "Love your neighbor" Jesus teaches

Persecuting other Christians as "heretics" sounds a lot like "a house divided against itself can't stand" and unfortunately many Christians don't even care to take that in
>>
>>1828167
>Does the Catholic church still use the concept of heresy?

Yes. I would say all but the most wishy-washy liberal Protestant Churches probably do, though it's hard to have any sort of dialogue between religious groups if everyone is calling everyone a heretic

>Are Protestants considered heretical?

According to the Catholic Church they all do have more or less erroneous beliefs. It's also important to keep in mind that Protestantism is a huge and diverse thing, LARPers on /his/ tend to paint the entire movement as if a caricature of American evangelicalism was really representative of it.

>what is the current definition of heresy?

Heresy according to the Catholic Church is "the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same" (from the Catechism of the Catholic Church)
>>
>>1834434
>a house divided quote
Oh the irony, I'm sure it's over your head since you're a moral relativist. Your quote destroys your own argument.
>>
>>1834917
>If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. Mark 3:25

One thing about Christianity, not all Christians, but many divide themselves, therefore "dividing" the Body "house" of Christ. Any religion or faction that divides itself against itself will start to crumble.
>>
>>1833893
>Luther calling for the burning of the Epistle of James
That's a lie
But then again you're a papist, so it is in you're nature to lie
>>
>>1833893
Wow
Is bearing false witness not a sin in Romanism or something?
>>
>>1834559
>Protestantism is a huge and diverse thing
No more than Catholicism
>>
>>1835039
Don't confuse Catholics with Christians
>>
>>1830563
t. someone who hasn't ever read anything about the actual theology
>>
>>1828167
>are protestants heretical
Absolutely
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.