[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What have we lost of that mysterious other world? Where would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

File: 323281-Sepik.jpg (599KB, 1280x928px) Image search: [Google]
323281-Sepik.jpg
599KB, 1280x928px
What have we lost of that mysterious other world? Where would we find ourselves if we took those forgotten pathways? Would only desolate crumbling monoliths be there to meet us, or will we find that the realm of Faerie still exists, but has simply been left behind by a mankind which has gotten lost in a forest much more menacing than any monster of the ancient fables?

There is no ultimate truth. Science is failing us. Bring us back to the glorious dark ages, where God and gods were physically present in the skies, where other lands were alien planets, where dragons might be found nesting deep in the dark forests, and where the struggle for one's life was a daily quest rather than just a fantasy. Only in the most terrible decay and darkness of the inner landscape can we find the lost mystery, and art can only bring us there if it is an isolated journey with a mind embracing the degradation as the inherent quality of lost things.
>>
Go live in the woods.
>>
File: IMG_3002.jpg (25KB, 211x238px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3002.jpg
25KB, 211x238px
>>1827740
>>
>>1827752
I do appreciate the reply but I wasn't the original writer.
>>
>>1827740

this is serious autism buddy
>>
File: Wizard.jpg (180KB, 534x900px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard.jpg
180KB, 534x900px
>>1827740
get a hobby dude
>>
>>1827759
Did you just copy and paste a tabletop game description?
>>
>>1827793
Pretty far off bucko
>>
File: Norse Landscape.jpg (97KB, 630x356px) Image search: [Google]
Norse Landscape.jpg
97KB, 630x356px
>>1827740
>There is no ultimate truth.
[citation needed]

You're talking about a topic which most people on this plebbit tier board will never understand or appreciate, they will live their lives in a false sense of knowledge and criticize other for ignorance while unknowingly being the most ignorant, this is how most people think.

No one wishes to be naive or childish, play in the realms of the imagination in a pure state, those who come close are>>1827752 like this says, Stoners.
Stoners are failures and can barely scratch the surface of this "Northern" world you speak of.
Stoners can find the entrance but they can not pass through into the land of joy.

Read Some Tolkien, Lewis, and Chesterton.
Science is ultimately baseless those who say otherwise merely grew up in a society with an emphasis on science, it is a completely worthless worldview when you get down to the advanced parts, I love technology and writing, but it really isn't fair to say Stephen Hawking or Einstein's achievements are comparable, lets be honest, their accomplishments are trash in light of these things.

They have not served to satisfy our deepest needs nor scratch the surface of what it means to be joyful or human.

Even the religious tradition is becoming more secular.

Not all those who wander are lost, only the "progressive" fools think otherwise (hence the reason they are so eager to thrust us forward into an age of "reason" or "knowledge") they are ultimately unwise and not privy to the real purpose of human existence or the origin of joy. This existence is finite but our longings eternal, thus in this life we shall not know our purpose but we can get a glimpse in the world they call "fantasy".

Not all those who wander are lost, but now, we are lost and so we wander.
>>
File: 1465681394458.png (396KB, 851x315px) Image search: [Google]
1465681394458.png
396KB, 851x315px
>>1827815
*exhales slowly*
>>
>>1827752
>>1827789
>>1827792
2deep4u
>>
File: 1475950088676.png (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1475950088676.png
422KB, 640x480px
>>1827829
>>
>>1827815
Thank you, this was the kind of discussion I was looking for. I ultimately do not have any citation or anything for the non-existence of an ultimate truth but it is something that I do not believe can be proved.

I have never read Chesterton but I will check him out now that you have mentioned him.

What you said about science and the discoveries resonates deeply with what I am feeling and why I originally made this post. I'm just trying to piece together all of the thoughts and this is taking another step closer.
>>
>>1827843
>but it is something that I do not believe can be proved.
not in this life.
>>
>>1827815

>Read Some Tolkien, Lewis, and Chesterton.

I'm not 15 anymore, sorry
>>
File: 1433435556732.jpg (2MB, 1997x2072px) Image search: [Google]
1433435556732.jpg
2MB, 1997x2072px
>>1827890
>I am no longer curious, as I grew up to become one of the dull and unsophisticated

I won't force you, consider my words as guidelines.
>>
>>1828802
>>I am no longer curious, as I grew up to become one of the dull and unsophisticated

That's an almost perfect description of both Lewis and Chesterton. I'll admit that Tolkien seems like a pretty creative and curious man, but why he's always named along with bores like Lewis and Chesterton is completely beyond me
>>
File: 1 1.jpg (813KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1 1.jpg
813KB, 1920x1080px
>>1828841
>That's an almost perfect description of both Lewis and Chesterton.

>I have never read Lewis and Chesterton
My dude, they are incredibly clear minded, sophisticated, and creative.
Just look at Chesterton's Novels, his Essays and the like, the same goes for Lewis.
Look no further than Chesterton's defense of being naive which is to say the naive life is the most fulfilling as everyday is something surprising, something new, and thus greater than the last.

Tolkien is named with the two because he gives man a sense of joy and longing when read.

The three form a history of Europe,
Tolkien, The ancient Pagans in their search for truth and justice, The Good.
Lewis, The early Christians, out of darkness into knowledge coming to grips with the world we live in.
Chesterton, the modern who is not modern, man wrestling with God trying to really find him, to discover if the modern world is actually modern or just another hearkening back to a more primitive mindset.

All of them represent Revolutions in European and Christian thought.
>>
>>1828894
>My dude, they are incredibly clear minded, sophisticated, and creative.

No, they're not. They're hyper orthodox bores who have already made up their minds before they ever studied anything. Worse yet, they represent a horrifyingly modern version of Christianity, a black and white literalist instant satisfaction feel good view of life. No wonder Glenn Beck loves Lewis, he's essentially a 20th century English version of Beck.

Both of them have none of the mystery, none of the hardship, none of the moral dilemmas that great thinkers, Christian or not, possess and accept. Their version of Christianity was the beginning of McReligion, the type that was eventually perfected by Oprah Winfrey and various televangelists in America
>>
I got abducted by aliens after taking a massive quantity of shrooms in Ocala national park. They were really and explained to me that mankind's history is inaccurate and that we were once much more technologically advanced. They said most've the megalithic structures are either antediluvian or constructed by atlantean survivors of a cataclysm. I didn't take it too seriously because I was on drugs but it is a very vivid and colorful memory. The brain can do some cool things.

Portions of the abduction included me asking about building techniques and they said they used vibration and sound to shape and transport stones. It's just a neat experience. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
>>
>>1828916
>two atheists who thought about life and converted
>made up their minds before studying anything

>literalist
>both unironically support non-literal understandings of The Bible

>empty rhetoric

>moral dilemmas
They solved them.

>more empty rhetoric

Did you even read them?
Can you provide specific instances where your point of view is reinforced?

I can, Lewis argues from allegory and simile.
Chesterton argues from analogy in a similar way as Lewis does but its more piecemeal.

Read Heretics or Defense of Sanity by Chesterton.
Read Mere Christianity and The Great Divorce by Lewis.

Lewis is not like Glenn Beck.
>>
>>1828949
>The Modernists attempt at understanding "Joy" and 'Northernness"
>>
>>1828961
>The Great Divorce
>anyone who disagrees with me will either agree in time or they're selfish petty shitbags who don't deserve consideration
>not black and white
>>
>>1828961
>They solved them.

Thank you for proving my point
>>
What is going on in this thread
>>
Every night i weep in my pillows thinking that we will never be able to see agartha, mu, the land between the mountains. Why even live
>>
If you're in the city, go out in the plains/village/cottage areas. Where civilization is nearly non-existent. Live/spend some time there. Or if you're bit poor, go out "in the woods."
>>
>>1828963
Or just enjoying nature and enjoying shrooms. Which are awesome.
>>
Here in Ireland we don't touch fairy rings/forts, and we stay away from certain bushes and trees. Bad shite happens when you piss off the Aos Si.
>>
>>1829028
There are a lot of people with similar ideas of sacred natural places. Like the Icelanders, some Norwegians, Turks, Native Americans, Chinese, Japs, Koreans etc.
>>
Anons have u ever heard about the Lands of the Giants
>>
>>1829055
Inner earth stuff?
>>
File: 1475300477110.png (2MB, 1282x854px) Image search: [Google]
1475300477110.png
2MB, 1282x854px
>>1828894

Bruh, holy fuck, that's a beautiful landscape

More than anything else, beautiful landscapes make my heart hurt, because I know I'll never get to visit, let alone live there
>>
>>1829043
It's definitely widespread. Makes you wonder if there's something to it, doesn't it?
>>
>>1827815
>Science is ultimately baseless those who say otherwise merely grew up in a society with an emphasis on science, it is a completely worthless worldview when you get down to the advanced parts, I love technology and writing, but it really isn't fair to say Stephen Hawking or Einstein's achievements are comparable, lets be honest, their accomplishments are trash in light of these things.

>le human emotions are the center of universe meme
>>
File: Straw man.jpg (39KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
Straw man.jpg
39KB, 333x500px
>>1828989
>pic related
>>1828992
Solving problems is a bad thing?
>>1829025
>DUDE
>>1829081
Maybe someday you and I can visit.
>>1829164
>Le humans are not the center of the human perspective
lol Hawking pls go
>>
The only comment I can think of besides calling OP a faggot, is that I want to learn how to make Greek fire, or some shit like that
>>
>>1830151
How on earth is it a strawman? The Virgil stand-in renounces the actual theological positions he had in life in order to agree with Lewis, and everyone who returns to the rainy town is portrayed as just petty or stupid, depending on their individual vices.
>>
>>1830252
Is Mere Christianity black and white?
The great divorce isn't black and white in the sense its alienating, its distinct and puts an emphasis on place, this is not what the term black and white applies to.
Black and white means no sort of wiggle room for anything, Lewis is the furthest from this, your calling it black and white because Lewis makes sharp distinctions, its akin to saying the truth is uninteresting because it is distinct from non-truth.
You're simply not making a reasoned objection.
>>
>>1830269
>Is Mere Christianity black and white?
I could only stomach so much of it, but yes, absolutely. "Either Jesus was literally God, or he was a crazy liar, there exists no other possibilites and to think otherwise is self-delusion" is an extremely black and white view.
>>
>>1830292
>boolean logic = black and white

You heard it here first, folks.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.