[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

besárge fore unEnglisc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: IUsedtobeaCyningLikeYou.jpg (47KB, 464x261px) Image search: [Google]
IUsedtobeaCyningLikeYou.jpg
47KB, 464x261px
Thither wære þú hwonne Harold cyning ácwolen?

Ic wæs æt hám etung stéor dung hwonne ár níwcumen.

"Harold cyning sy ábradwian."

"Ne."
>>
File: keitty.jpg (54KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
keitty.jpg
54KB, 600x593px
Is this what arabization of the british language looks like?
>>
>>1826821
>Only 1066 kids will get this
>>
>>1826805
>mfw I'm fluent in German and understand a bit of Dutch and I can't make head or tale of this
Old English sounds beautiful and it sucks that it mutated to this Latinized/Germanic hybrid with too many contradictions.
>>
>>1826883
There's a great video where Eddie Izzard tries to buy a cow from a Frisian in Old English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34
>>
>>1826883
Thither were thou when Harold king was quell?

I was at home eating steer dung when messenger newcame.

Harold king is kill.

Nay.
>>
>>1826883
It makes some sense if you know the original.
>where where you when Harold was kill
>i was at home when x something
>harold is kill
>no
t. I'm Dutch
>>
>>1826896
Yeah I got the bits of "I", "thither", and "king" but the rest is unknown. Maybe if I knew Norse it might help.

>>1826894
Oh yeah this vid. We saw this in my English lit class years ago. I can understand this far easier than OP wrote.
>>
>>1826899
It makes me wonder how much Flemish influenced the development of Middle English seeing how Flemings were settled in England by the Normans and Plantagenets.
>>
>>1826906
OP here. Used a shitty translator I know all the inflections and tense are fucked but that's part of the meme.

The big problem English speakers have is dealing with any language that has an phonemic orthography. If you pronounce every letter in this sentence:
> Ic wæs æt hám etung stéor dung hwonne ár níwcumen.

phonetically like an Old English speaker would have it sounds like
>ick was at ham etung stay-or dung whon-eh ayr new-cumen

It's a lot more understandable, "I was at home eating steer dung when herald came."
>>
>>1826952
It still boggles my mind that this mutated into Middle English. Now that's something I can understand better. Even Scots.
>>
>>1826912
There are more Dutch loanwords in English than you think, like 'landscape", "boss", or "horse" for example, but i don't think it's something significant.
>>
>>1826975
horse isn't from Dutch
>>
>>1826982
It comes from the older word "ros"
>>
>>1826997
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/horse#Etymology_1

>From Middle English horse, hors, from Old English hors (“horse”), metathesis from Proto-Germanic *hrussą (“horse”), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱr̥sos (“horse”), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱers- (“to run”).
>>
>>1826883
That's funny, I'm fluent in Dutch and I understand it.
>>
>>1827011
Then my Dutch teacher lied to me. She said it came from ros=>orse=>horse
>>
>>1827070
I'm a different person, but "horse" is such a basic term that the idea of it being borrowed from "Dutch" (which implies occurring sometime after 1300-1400) is kind of absurd as there isn't really any synonyms for it.
>>
>>1826975
What's funny is that most words similar in English and Dutch are actually of French origin (color/kleur, soldier/soldat, river/rivier, nation/natiën...etc)
No idea how French words arrived in Dutch language though
>>
>>1827125
>No idea how French words arrived in Dutch language though
The original Frankish language was similar to Dutch and the Franks conquered what's modern Belgium and the Netherlands.
>>
>>1827125
nation translates to staat though. The reason is probably that due to the vast amount of latin words in english you're more likely to spot those in other languages.

>>1827148
Not really, they moved to Belgium and the Netherlands and spoke proto-Dutch, and conquered France and Germany afterwards.
>>
File: 1455511856835.gif (64KB, 790x505px) Image search: [Google]
1455511856835.gif
64KB, 790x505px
>>1827166
gif related
>>
>>1826894
Here's another video of a cow transaction dialogue.
https://youtu.be/LD7eNMEqt4E
>>
>>1827166
>nation translates to staat though
woops never mind. I'm going to bed
>>
>>1827166
>The reason is probably that due to the vast amount of latin words in english you're more likely to spot those in other languages.

Also interesting to note that while most Romance words in English come from French (and not directly from Latin), German and Dutch have most of their Romance originated words come directly from Latin

State/Staat is a good exemple
State entered English through the French "Estate" while Staat entered Dutch directly through the Latin "Status".
English has actually very few words that entered English directly through Latin, and they're mostly very technical and rarely used terms (genus, axis, bacillus, cervix, codex...etc)
It's because Roman occupation left literally no linguistical heritage in Britain, and all the words that entered English directly through Latin did so through science or religion in more recent times.

Meanwhile, all of the commonly used Romance words in English language entered through French (people, forest, river, mountain, city, place, point, use, color...etc)
>>
>>1826952
>ick
Pronounced like 'itch' not 'ick'.

>bitches don't know about palatalization

Also, why inconsistently use <th> and <þ> even though they're the same sound?
>>
>>1827070
Probably not lying but trying to simplify it maybe. -r- metathesis is rife in Old English, but not so in later stages when it would have begun borrowing Dutch words.
>>
>>1826805
WE
>>
>>1826805
Why do earlier forms of English seem so much more beautiful?

I've been taking a class on Chaucer and have come to know Middle English fairly well, and for whatever reason it seems so prettier than our modern tongue.

I don't know Old English, but hearing it I can appreciate the sound.
>>
>>1826912
The biggest influence Dutch had on English was spelling conventions, a lot of early printers in England were Dutch I think
>>
File: different arrow heads.jpg (121KB, 452x556px) Image search: [Google]
different arrow heads.jpg
121KB, 452x556px
>>1826805
þes searu se Harold
>>
File: names for Germany.png (512KB, 1486x1215px) Image search: [Google]
names for Germany.png
512KB, 1486x1215px
>>1827402
When your ancestors used them and they pass them onto you, they just kind of stick around for a while. It was hard to reform a language in a time when a "language" had hundreds of accents thanks to no standardization and accent formation. There was no right or wrong way to spell it until somebody said so with any authority
>>
>>1827194
>>1827166
"Natie" en "staat" both exist in Dutch.
t. Vlaming
>>
>>1828753
Depicted in green: retards
Hate the confusion between Germanic (both as ancient tribes and people family) and Germans because of retarded languages that named the newly founded Deutschland after Ancient Germania...
>>
These are from the Wachtendonckse Psalmen, as far as I know the oldest form of written Dutch.

Ginathi mi got ginathi mi. uuanda an thi gitruot sila min. In an scado fitheraco thinro sal ie gitruon untis farliet unreht.

Begenadig mij, God! Begenadig mij; want op U vertrouwt mijne ziel. En in de schaduw uwer vederen zal ik vertrouwen tot dat het onregt moge voorbijgaan.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.