[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a shittier general, I dare you.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 26

Name a shittier general, I dare you.
>>
>>1826774

any italian
>>
>>1826781
Wops can hardly pass for human, let alone generals
>>
>>1826774
Muh nigga. That pos asshole almost destroyed the union when he insulted grant. The only person who kept based grant from leaving was equally based Sherman
>>
>>1826774
Burnside.
>>
>>1826783
Kek
>>
File: Luigi_Cadorna_02.jpg (343KB, 589x844px) Image search: [Google]
Luigi_Cadorna_02.jpg
343KB, 589x844px
>so the Austrians have themselves fortified in a mountain
>let's attack it
>12 times
>>
>>1826797
>Ausfags
Who was the general in charge of the Emu War?
>>
File: keitty.jpg (54KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
keitty.jpg
54KB, 600x593px
>>1826797
Luigi "BASTA SOLDATO ITALIANO" Cadorna did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1826774
was he a meme
>>
>>1826791
>based grant
>based Sherman

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>1826861

He was and he wasn't.

He was a pretty lousy tactician. His battlefield record was lousy, both before the revolutionary war and after it, and he made some really, really bad calls, most especially the deployment around Long Island where he almost got the entire Continental army caught up and captured or killed.

On the other hand, he was great at a lot of the off-battlefield stuff. He kept the army together despite the nadir of fortunes in '78 and '79, with no food and no money and almost no hope. He was good at handling the rather awful logistics that the continental congress could provide to at least keep his men from starvation. He managed to get inoculations to his troops in an era where that wasn't easy at all. He often recognized strategic opportunity extremely well; getting the guns to overlook Boston and take that big holdout, or realizing he had an opportunity with Corwnallis in a corner towards the end of the war.

Personal gut opinion is that he was a good general, and would have made a great staff officer had such things existed in America at the time, but he wasn't the legendary military figure American pop history tries to make him out to be.
>>
Conrad Von Hotzendorf
>>
>>1826877
nice dubs, and to what extent does washington have people like Paine who kept war fervor going and ensured the colonial folk that victory was possible. It was after all after likely that atleast a nice chunk of post trenton enlistments were because of Common Sense. not to mention that 5 years of service with two victories seems a bit not so good so how does that add into the Washington equation
>>
>>1826914
>>1826914
"was possible *to thank*"
>>
Leave Little Mac alone.

He wasn't bad, just too cautious. His soldiers appreciated and loved his caution with their lives. He won the vote over Lincoln in 1864 among the enlisted men.

He built the US Army from the ground up out of untrained hordes of State volunteers.

That was his real talent and achievement.

Organization, logistics and supply.

Amateurs talk tactics. Professionals talk logistics.
>>
>>1828535
>His soldiers appreciated and loved his caution with their lives.
As opposed to this fuck who used his soldiers like cannon fodder.
>>1826797
>>so the Austrians have themselves fortified in a mountain
>>let's attack it
>>12 times
facepalm.jpeg
>>
>>1826791
Sherman wasn't a good general. McClellan wasn't great but he was a hell of a lot better than Sherman.
>>
>>1826774
Fuck you he wasn't that bad. It's all Lincoln propaganda that makes people think that.
Burnside and Hooker were far far worse.
McClellan had seen firsthand how devastating modern military arms were to traditional tactics when he observed the Crimean War. He understood just how awful civil war battles would be if fought, so to preserve the unions morale he avoided useless pitched battles that Lincoln insisted on. What good did either of the battles of bull run do? What about Chancellorsville or Fredericksburg?
Every pitched battle the union was forced by Lincoln to fight (on the Virginia front at least) did far more damage to the union than it did to the confederacy. All except for Antietam, which although inconclusive, proved that McClellans skill at preparing and building an army directly translated to putting Lee on the run.
He was by no means a great general, not even a particularly good one, but there's a reason the men at Gettysburg were told that McClellan was in charge before the fighting began.
I do still agree that if he were to be elected he would have ruined this nation forever
>>
File: James_Ledlie.jpg (60KB, 308x471px) Image search: [Google]
James_Ledlie.jpg
60KB, 308x471px
>>1826774
This guy was probably the worst

>afraid to use black troops
>draws a short straw for a replacement division to fight confederates
>doesn't brief troops about the battleground
>troops enter it recklessly
>confederates kill alot of them, about 5,300
>meanwhile ledlie and his friend are drinking whiskey back in a bunker
>>
File: John Burgoyne.jpg (438KB, 1084x1384px) Image search: [Google]
John Burgoyne.jpg
438KB, 1084x1384px
>>1826774
This cunt right here
>>
>>1826861
Yes.
>>
File: Haig.jpg (15KB, 185x360px) Image search: [Google]
Haig.jpg
15KB, 185x360px
>>1826774
Yeah I can, cunt in pic is very related.

Field Marshal Haig

Your not all idiots, im sure you're all very aware why he is top nomination. The Shame of British military history
>>
File: macarthur7.jpg (51KB, 400x258px) Image search: [Google]
macarthur7.jpg
51KB, 400x258px
>>1826774
This dumb asshole right here.
>>
File: 1472506487393.jpg (144KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1472506487393.jpg
144KB, 800x1200px
>>1828535
>Amateurs talk tactics. Professionals talk logistics.
No matter how many times autists on the internet repeat that line, that does not excuse a general from having to know how to fight a fucking battle.
>>
File: IMG_3657.jpg (568KB, 1476x1846px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3657.jpg
568KB, 1476x1846px
>>
>>1828895
/thread
>>
>>1828897
Squanto plz
>>
File: theonlygoodgerman.jpg (113KB, 736x1066px) Image search: [Google]
theonlygoodgerman.jpg
113KB, 736x1066px
>>
>>1826781
>Garibaldi
yeah nah m8
>>
>>1828851
>Only reason he's seen negatively is because Lloyd George used him as a scapegoat
>Was actually a pretty decent general
>>
File: Jewlius Caesar.jpg (98KB, 450x592px) Image search: [Google]
Jewlius Caesar.jpg
98KB, 450x592px
>>1826781
>>
>>1828779
>Sherman
>wins crushing tactical victories and secures vital territory, finally dealing the death blow to the Confederate Economy

>McClellan can't even crush the Rebs when he has a fucking detailed map of their battle plans and troop movements that they left behind by accident, despite outnumbering them 2 to 1
>>
>>1828535
>He wasn't bad, just too cautious
Caution can be just as fatal as recklessness, see Siege of Yorktown.

>His soldiers appreciated and loved his caution with their lives
I wonder if they still did after Antietam.

>He won the vote over Lincoln in 1864 among the enlisted men
Blatantly false.

Lincoln was highly popular with soldiers and they in turn recommended him to their families back home.[17][18] The following states allowed soldiers to cast ballots: California, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. Out of the 40,247 army votes cast, Lincoln received 30,503 (75.8%) and McClellan 9,201 (22.9%), with the rest (543 votes) scattering (1.3%). Only soldiers from Kentucky gave McClellan a majority of their votes, and he carried the army vote in the state by a vote of 2,823 (70.3%) to 1,194 (29.7%).[19]

>He built the US Army from the ground up out of untrained hordes of State volunteers.
>That was his real talent and achievement.
>Organization, logistics and supply.

Yes he was stellar at that, but he should never have been put in charge of actually fighting this army he built.
>>
>>1828862
A meme general if there ever was one, if Truman hadn't fired his ass we might've had a nuclear WW3 in the 50s.
>>
>>1828851
>le world war one generals are shit meme
>Has to learn the rules of modern war and assumes that a colossal assault across the entire line with a fuck ton of arty will work as it makes the most logical sense putting pressure all across the line and finding weak points
>French succeed at the summer but British don't
>learns from his mistakes and uses tanks and better tactics and arty techniques
>by the end of the war he and the other entente "butchers" gets the British through the hindenburg line and causes the Germans to sue for peace otherwise their army will collapse
>100 years later melennials playing bf1 call him a faggot and ask why he attacked head on instead of going for objective bravo like the female announcer said
>>
File: 360_hitler_0607.jpg (25KB, 360x235px) Image search: [Google]
360_hitler_0607.jpg
25KB, 360x235px
>>1826774
>>
>>1826877
Not that I think Washington was particularly great either, but I think you underappreciated his use of the tactical retreat. The reason he could lose so much is that he didn't surrender after battles as was custom in the 18th century.
>>
>>1829601
>we might've had a nuclear WW3 in the 50s.
>saying this like it's a bad thing

We'd already be 4+ generations past the Great Cleansing Fire by this point, and the scourge of Communism would be fully eradicated from our species. Win-win.
>>
>>1826774
Here are some really awful generals.

>>>/vg/
>>
>>1826774
t. Sherman/Grantfag
>>
>>1829314
Nice try, kek. Trying to compare modern italians with the Romans of all people. Absolute disdain for you.
>>
>>1831728
But you wouldn't be bullshitting around on the internet right now, you'd be trying to grow cabbage in one of the small pockets of non-irradiated wasteland left in the continental United States
>>
>>1826774
>Little Mac
>"shitty" general
Fuck off.
>>
whichever chink let the Hanlin Academy burn down & didn't even scare away the evil foreigners. that's just embarrassing.
>>
General William Elphinstone, the man responsible for the disastrous 1842 retreat from Kabul and British defeat in the First Anglo-Afghan War. Take it away, Fraser:

>"Only he could have permitted the First Afghan War and let it develop to such a ruinous defeat. It was not easy: he started with a good army, a secure position, some excellent officers, a disorganized enemy, and repeated opportunities to save the situation. But Elphy, with the touch of true genius, swept aside these obstacles with unerring precision, and out of order wrought complete chaos. We shall not, with luck, look upon his like again."

>>1826774
At the very least, he never flat-out got his army destroyed or lost a big, decisive battle.

He was absolutely nothing compared to military geniuses like Grant, Jackson, or Sherman, but labeling him as the worst general ever is unfair. His work in building the Army of the Potomac alone should disqualify him from that title. He was, however, a blame-shifting piece of shit who would've ruined the nation if he was elected. So there's that.
>>
>>1826877
What made Washington great was his charisma and his understanding of the weight of the office of President. His battlefield accomplishments are secondary to those
>>
>>1829596
>Yes he was stellar at that, but he should never have been put in charge of actually fighting this army he built.
rather like eisenhower in that regard
>>
File: 1355440885722.gif (876KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1355440885722.gif
876KB, 500x281px
>>1831839
>military geniuses like Grant, Jackson, or Sherman
>>
>>1831783
Except the Soviets had less than 20 nukes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_nuclear_weapons_stockpiles_and_nuclear_tests_by_country#/media/File:Worldwide_nuclear_testing.svg
>>
>>1828779
>George "I can't attack because they probably have 6 gorillion men over there" McClellan
>>
>>1828779
You can't be a hell of a lot better than anyone at anything if you don't do anything
>>
>>1829330
>tactical victories against empty cities and towns while the majority of the confederate armies were in other states.

You could have put any general in his place. Fuck, even Hood was able to slow him down and drag him into tactical defeats.
>>
>>1828866
>logistics
>autists
You're a triggered edgy moron.

“During the last war, eighty percent of our problems were of a logistical nature.” -Field Marshall Montgomery

“Logistics is the stuff that if you don’t have enough of, the war will not be won as soon as.” -Gen Nathaniel Green, Quartermaster, American Revolutionary Army

“The history of war proves that nine out of ten times an army has been destroyed because its supply lines have been cut off…. We shall land at Inchon, and I shall crush them.” -Gen Douglas MacArthur

AUTISTS ALL RIGHT SHITHEAD?

Die in a fire edgelord.
>>
lee
>>
>>1828866
>he thinks general officers are supposed to function the same way field grade officers are

nigga get it together
>>
>>1829714
>"le WW1 generals are shit meme"
Defend me Cadorna then, may his name be forever cursed and his memory shamed until the end of times.
>>
>>1831839
>Sherman
>military genius
Nice joke. Also Grant, Jackson, and Lee have all repeatedly praised McClellan's skill as a general and tactician.
>>
File: barnold.jpg (125KB, 600x779px) Image search: [Google]
barnold.jpg
125KB, 600x779px
>>1828832
You just got BENEDICKT
>>
File: John_Sedgwick.png (265KB, 672x800px) Image search: [Google]
John_Sedgwick.png
265KB, 672x800px
Ay
>>
>>1832642

The Americans didn't figure that out until the 60s, you mouth breathing retard.

Even if they had known, we have a no first strike policy for a reason, and that's because we live in a society built on ethics and morality, not your edgelord right-wing fantasies you conjur up between crying about your virginity and shitposting about Trump.
>>
>>1826774
>>1826791
>>1829330
>glorifying Sherman
Yeah I'd look great too if my subordinate and junior generals under my command are vastly more competent and skilled then me and my own personal battles are against largely empty cities and towns with little to no force to face against my huge army.
>>
>>1833081
In the 19th Century? Yeah, they were.
>>
>>1833069
>missing the point entirely

I didn't say logistics weren't important, faggot. I said your little quote doesn't excuse officers from knowing how to fight battles on top of understanding logistics. You need BOTH.
>>
>>1833787
Butthurt Georgia resident here. Sherman can suck my dick and was fighting an already broken South when he decided to hit near genocide levels.
>>
File: Battle of Kennesaw Mountain.jpg (115KB, 313x844px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain.jpg
115KB, 313x844px
>>1833838
Even then he was pretty terrible.
>>
>>1826781
Messe, Octavian, Trajan, Julius Caesar, Diaz.
Since you are probably Anglo making that joke, check out General Parcival and how much he sucked. Worse than Cadorna.
>>
File: iq.png (567KB, 954x442px) Image search: [Google]
iq.png
567KB, 954x442px
>>1826783
Btw, highest iq in Europe, only white country rival to Asian countries.
>>
>>1833479
>Bringing Trump out of fucking nowhere
Kys cuck.
>>
>>1828862
good choice. worst general in american history at least.
>>
>>1833885
>source: mapquest
>>
>>1826774
Rosecrans in the same goddamn war.
>>
>>1834179

>oh no a gap is opening in my line
>better plug it
>*creates a gap and loses the battle in the process*

At least we got the Rock of Chickamauga out of it.
>>
>>1833877

>Octavian

OCTAVIAN
C
T
A
V
I
A
N
>>
>>1828895
Was hopimg this was here. God, he was incompetant.
>>
>>1828895

Was about to post him. What a fuck wit
>>
>>1829945

True. His invasion of Poland was bretty gud tho
>>
>>1828779
>Cuts the South in two
>Not a smart plan
>>
>>1835530
It wasn't Sherman's plan Dingle berry.
>>
>>1833877
Roman ≠ Italian. When will you niggers understand this?
>>
>>1826774
OP
>>
>>1836683
Nice propaganda mehmet, but we know the truth.
>>
>>1835451
>Thomas was one of the best Union commanders of the war
>Not remembered because he fought in a forgotten theater and Grant didn't like him
>>
>>1826774
And they put a statue of him outside my City Hall!
>>
>>1838582

>Grant didn't like Thomas.

I've heard that at least a dozen times, but at least I've never been able to hunt down why Grant didn't like him. Do you know by any chance?
>>
>>1826861
What rosey cheeks you have there washingcutie
>>
>>1828895
I thought his Civil War record was relatively clean?
>>
>>1839426
From what it seems, nobody really knows. They just had a frosty relationship. Thomas once kept Grant waiting for several minutes while he was going over details for a campaign or something but I don't know if that was before or after they started having problems and for what it's worth, Grant did show up at Thomas' funeral and was pretty moved by the whole thing.

I think it's a case of Grant probably respecting Thomas as a soldier but not liking him on a personal level. Thomas was kind of a humble guy and constantly refused promotions that he felt he didn't deserve and then had his papers destroyed because he hated the idea of the press gawking over his life.
>>
File: vonHotzendorf.jpg (85KB, 477x194px) Image search: [Google]
vonHotzendorf.jpg
85KB, 477x194px
>>1833877
>Trajan
>Marcus Ulpius Traianus was born on 18 September 53 AD in the Roman province of Hispania Baetica[9] (in what is now Andalusia in modern Spain),

Nice try.

>>1826774
Hotzendorf hands down. He was the MAJOR war hawk in KuK, only kept in check by Ferdinand. He sent men to fight in the Carpathians with CARDBOARD FUCKING SHOES in the fucking winter of 1914-1915. His country was not ready for the war, and was not able to operate independently after scarcely a year. He even remarked toward the war that if the crown prince were still alive, he'd order that hotzendorf be shot.
>>
File: pesci1.jpg (172KB, 448x313px) Image search: [Google]
pesci1.jpg
172KB, 448x313px
>>1826797
>my soldiers are refusing to charge through snow and mountains and machine guns to take the line?
>bettershootthem.jpg
>mfw I execute thousands of my own men for disobeying orders
>>
>>1840064
What game?
>>
>>1839426
Well Grant was somewhat of an asshole. He's entire presidency is evidence of that. Thomas and him were rivals and Grant might have felt threatened by Thomas's success. He gave Sherman the army of Tennessee over Thomas even though Sherman had a pretty piss poor track record.

Thomas is probably one of the most tragic figure of war. Distrusted by the north for being a southerner, hated by the South for fighting for the north. Historically forgotten.
>>
>>1826774
General Tso

He makes me shit all over the place
>>
File: HoratioGates.jpg (121KB, 800x1021px) Image search: [Google]
HoratioGates.jpg
121KB, 800x1021px
>Served in the British Army as Major "I'm a real officer now mommy"
>Gets severaly injured in the Braddock Expedition before anything pops off "I'm a real officer now mommy
>Never saw combat in the Capture of Martinique
>Bequeathed the honor of reporting back to england the news and his "exploits" because "I'm a real officer mommy"
>Joins the Rebels because "I'm a real officer mommy"
>Takes all the credit from Eggs Benedict at Saratoga
>Tries to supplant Washington and gets outplayed hard
>Gets a humiliating defeat at Camden but but Imma real officer mummy
>News of his son dying
>Passes the touch to a REAL officer Based Nathaniel Greene

Can't into military politic and tries to steal credit. He may not be worst but he is fucking up there.
>>
File: oh_shi-.jpg (116KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
oh_shi-.jpg
116KB, 1024x683px
>>1840201
That Gates is a damned fool. Spent too much time in the British Army, going muzzle to muzzle with Redcoats in open fields is madness.
>>
File: is this nigga serious.jpg (61KB, 450x410px) Image search: [Google]
is this nigga serious.jpg
61KB, 450x410px
>>1833877

>octavian
>in any way a competent general
>>
>>1840237

>He chooses Octavian, when he could have said Tiberius
>>
>>1833838
Ya I live in Cobb County Sherman is a fuck. Could have given that army to a fucking actual ape and could have done what he did with less losses and less animosity afterwards.
>>
FFXIV General
>>
File: 1cj2dc.jpg (48KB, 568x335px) Image search: [Google]
1cj2dc.jpg
48KB, 568x335px
>>
>>1840334
Tiberius was a great general you fucking idiot.
>>
>>1840573

That's what I meant, cockrider. Octavian was shitty, I don't know why that one guy went with him instead of Tiberius.
>>
>>1839387
True, there's one at Philadelphia City Hall, on the North side if I recall.
>>
>>1828851

This fucking guy.

>Throws away hundreds of thousands of lives for nothing, always claiming at the end they were "so close" to a break through. (laughinggermans.bmp)
>The one time he argues against the offensive turns out to be the breakthrough that forces the Germans to the table.

Haig was a fucking joke.
>>
>>1833801
>you made your point poorly

Also, obvious point is obvious.

So you had no point at all in what you were posting.
>>
>>1835518

His invasion of Poland was fucking stupid. Only French pussyfooting kept Germany from getting re-democratized in '39.
>>
File: OverByChristmas.png (2MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
OverByChristmas.png
2MB, 1280x768px
>>1840108

Commander: The Great War.

It's great.
>>
>>1840780
Octavian was considered an average level military commander. He knew his strengths were in politics, civil administration, and governing, not military direction which he left to people like Agrippa and latter his stepson and grandsons like Germanicus, Tiberius, and so on.
>>
>>1826774
Easy, conrad von hötzendorf. And a ckose second would be Luigi Cadorna
>>
>>1833154
ww1 generals overall have been unfairly criticized. Cadorna specifically was legitimately awful.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.