[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about Buddhism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Could some of the more people here with knowledge of Buddhism answer a question for me?

I don't understand why paranirvana should be the desired goal, especially since Buddhism - unlike Hinduism and Jainism - does not believe in an eternal and underlying soul/self (atman) that literally is at the core of each individual and is transferred during the cycles of rebirth. In Buddhism, the aggregates that comprise an 'individual' are all reactions to the external stimuli of samsara: the 'individual' ceases to exist completely upon death, and reincarnation is only the awakening of 'individuality' (awareness/sentience) in a new being. So since the supposed Self ceases to exist after death, why is paranirvana - the snuffing out of this Self that will cease to exist upon death anyways - so desired?
>>
Because it ensures that rebirth and samsara ends, thus there will be no more suffering, which is the fourth noble truth. The Buddha said that he only teaches two things: suffering, and the end of suffering.
>>
>>1824991
But suffering ends with death, because Buddhism holds that there is no essence (atman) that 'moves on' to be reincarnated (which is what Jains and Hindus believe, and which is why they espouse liberation).

Buddhism rejects this. Upon dying, the individual ceases to be.
>>
>>1825020
Makes sense all things considered.
>>
>>1825020
If that last line were true, Buddhism would either not even exist, or it would be completely different (probably more hedonistic). Buddhism rejects the Atman but not in the way you describe. It if rejected it as you say it does, it wouldn't hold samsara and reincarnation so close to its core. It would say "well everything's gonna end when you die so whatever", which it does not.
>>
>>1825105
Reincarnation is not a supernatural occurrence in Buddhism, doe

'Reincarnation' is only the awakening of 'individuality' (awareness/sentience) in a new being. Which is 'reincarnation', but in a more materialistic way.
>>
>>1825116
You're free to supply the corresponding passages in any of the buddhism scriptures. I can see reincarnation being supernatural in Mahayana, but even in the pali canon the Buddha speaks of his past lives and other things that correspond to reincarnation being part of the causality of the universe. It need not be supernatural because it is posited as perfectly natural. The goal is to break that cycle, regardless of what the cycle is like. The thing about reincarnation vis-à-vis Buddhist practice is that it ultimately doesn't matter, because, if you follow through and reach nibbana, the goal is completed.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.