[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Teutonic Order

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: 1476274162488.jpg (2MB, 3115x2192px) Image search: [Google]
1476274162488.jpg
2MB, 3115x2192px
So, were they brave warriors of Christendom, literal medieval fascists a' la Battle On The Ice or something of a grey area?
>>
File: 1453090599432.gif (967KB, 375x216px) Image search: [Google]
1453090599432.gif
967KB, 375x216px
>>1822784
>fascists
>medieval
>>
>>1822793

I'm referring to how they are depicted in the 1937 Soviet film called "Battle On The Ice' you retard.
>>
>>1822803
>Soviets
>knowing what fascism is
>>
>>1822784
They oppressed poles so they were proto-nazis, no, medieval nazis.
>>
>>1822784
Isis tier christians who forced their ridiculous religion on pagans.
>>
>>1822784
Initially a Crusading effort, turned into German colonization.

I do not mean that in the national sense though. During the Medieval Ages, Germans -merchants mostly- have a hobby of setting up communities in the east like colonies.
>>
>>1822784
Literally ISIS
>>
>>1822784
based in the Levant, shit in the baltic
>>
>>1822803
I cringed.
>>
>>1822844
>I do not mean that in the national sense though. During the Medieval Ages, Germans -merchants mostly- have a hobby of setting up communities in the east like colonies.

It was mostly local Slavic princes taking in or even inviting German settlers. Those settlers, surprise surprise, turned against their hosts soon enough.
>>
>>1822784
>implying fascism is bad

>r/cuckold/
>r/commie/

pick one
>>
I suppose their presence saved the Baltics from becoming an utter shithole by becoming conquered by Russians early on?
>>
>>1822784
As much as these dudes are based and I love 'em. This Catholic vs Orthodox shit was uneccesary. Like lads c'mon now.
>>
literal landthiefs who use their religion to justify it

>invite them to convert pagans
>give them land to use
>they attempt to set up their own kingdom

glad we kicked them out in a year
>>
>>1822784
After the conquest of Prussia, they've outlived their purpose.For some reason, they've even attempted to subjugate Poland and Novgorod, two Christian realms of whom the first was their greatest benefactor in the region, the one who supplied them with their original holdings and resources.

>>1822844
During the Medieval Ages, Germans -merchants mostly- have a hobby of setting up communities in the east like colonies

They were invited by Slavic rulers to bring in more revenue and population, but they've tended to turn against their hosts very frequently.

>>1823889
You forgot Catholic versus Catholic.

>>1823832
You do realize that the Russian Empire is mainly responsible for the development of the Baltic region?
>>
File: literacy rate.jpg (433KB, 1623x2591px) Image search: [Google]
literacy rate.jpg
433KB, 1623x2591px
>>1823943
This guy is pants on retarded and he stills insits posting his retarded opinion everywhere.

No Baltics were more developed than Russian Empire itself, their living standards were ahead of Russians and Russians were illiterate retards.
>>
Grunwald best day of my life

Eternal Teuton go home
>>
File: 1474222470981.png (47KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474222470981.png
47KB, 1200x900px
>>1824027
>All those best baltic parts once ruled by Sweden
I demand payments
>>
>>1823343
they were actually successful in their conquest unlike ISIS
>>
>>1824047
>tfw only a russian can fuck something up given to him on a silver platter
I want to return to those days
>>
>>1822836
>>1822843
>>1822844
It's Polish revisionism that the Teutonic Order were colonizers or invaders killing peaceful pagan tribesmen who dindu nuffin.

The king of Poland invited the Order himself to stop pagan raids on Europe. Then the Poles betrayed them by siding with a pagan tribe instead.
>>
File: Novogorod destruction.jpg (483KB, 2125x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Novogorod destruction.jpg
483KB, 2125x1300px
>>1825284
Tha's because Russia isn't based on a Slavic system, it's based on a mongol system.
The last Russian state was conquered by mongols in the 15th centuary.
>>
>>1825443
You're thinking 13th century, and the Muscovy wasn't mongol.
>>
>>1825443
There's no such thing as "Slavic system". Slavs are only a linguistic group. The Russians are maybe the most barbarous of that linguistic group and sadly, the most populous, so they cast their subhuman shadow on all the rest.
>>
>>1825262
Explain how isis hasn't been successful in their conquests
>>
>>1825262

We'll see.
>>
>>1825466
>Mongol vassal adopting a mongol System
>>1825486
Novgorod was the Venice of the North, pretty sure Russia could have been more developed like them if they didn't end up getting mongoled.
And suppose I been brainwashed by all Slavs talking about an ancient democratic Slavic system of rulership.
>>
>>1825374

>Teutonic Order were colonizers or invaders killing peaceful pagan tribesmen who dindu nuffin
Teutonic knights were supposed to go crusading against prussian pagans, not set up their own country

>The king of Poland invited the Order
At the time (1230s) Poland didn't even have a king since the country was fragmentated into de facto independent duchies.
Teutonic order was invited by one of regional rulers, Konrad of Masovia, who was actually being raided by pagans

>Then the Poles betrayed them by siding with a pagan tribe instead
If you refer to union with Lithuania: this was long after the teutonic start to act hostile towards Poland
>>
Relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fpv1C17ws
>>
Here's a good review of the Teutonic knights by two people who have no German or Polish bias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1xCaXOnBRU
>>
>>1826112
How about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYLXuzgcI8
>>
>>1825262
ISIS is very successful
>>
File: BattleOnTheIce.png (3MB, 998x2314px) Image search: [Google]
BattleOnTheIce.png
3MB, 998x2314px
>>1826142
got any more of these?
>>
>>1825374
Polish juden BTFO
>>
They created GrößeDeustchlandiums Prussien Kaiserreich.
>>
>>1824027
The Russian Empire had invested heavily into their Baltic provinces due to their strategic position, much more than their Northern counterparts for that matter.

>>1825486
Slavs are both an ethnic and linguistic group of people.

>>1825500
They only adopted their system of centralization and military organization.

> about an ancient democratic Slavic system of ruler-ship

It didn't apply to slaves, but they're right about everything else.

>>1825374
>>1827206

Keep your subhuman colonial bravado to yourself.

The Teutonic Order was never supported to establish a country for themselves, their only purpose was to put an end the Prussians and the man who had invited them, Konrad, wasn't king, but a mere duke of Masovia.

> Then the Poles betrayed them by siding with a pagan tribe instead

Only because the Teutonic Order turned against them, their original host.
>>
>>1828274
>The Russian Empire had invested heavily into their Baltic provinces due to their strategic position, much more than their Northern counterparts for that matter.
Proofs?
And they are still better of the administrative capital itself.
>>
>>1829550
Purely economic reasons, they've needed them in good shape because of their position on the Baltic Sea.
>>
>>1822784

They were originally called in by Polish and Czech dukes. The poles are butthurt because they thought they would be able to rule over them afterwards
>>
>>1830435
They've made a grave mistake of valuing Germans by themselves, being grateful isn't a part of German mentality.
>>
>>1830446

Well I agree that Germans are sub humans but you Poles are just extremely butthurt and prone to lying or leaving out vital info on situations
>>
>>1830395
Unlike their capital where all the administrators lived?
>>
>>1830539
Changed that to "The administration capital of Russia"
>>
>>1830539
Most of the administration lived in the capital, not all.

>>1830458
I'm not Polish and their information are genuine because they stem from that period.

>and prone to lying or leaving out vital info on situations

You're confusing Polish historiography with it's post 18th century German counterpart.
>>
>>1825374
>>1825810

>muh christians wuz a good boys they dindu nuffin pagans wuz raiders n shiiiiiet Q_Q

First off, Pope Celestine III called for a crusade against the baltic traditional religionists in 1193, one year before Konrad even ascended to the throne. "Saint" Meinhard attempted to forcibly convert the balts, but failed. His replacement, Bishop Berthold straight up attacked the balts with a large contingent of crusaders in 1198, 28 years before Konrad called in the Teutonic Order to help him with this supposed raiding problem, but was defeated in a battle.

But wait, why were the Balts raiding Konrad? Was it because they were dirty, violent heathen barbarians? No, actually, since Konrad opened hostilities in 1209 in a papal-sanctioned crusade against the Balts, but he was unsuccessful and his little war devolved into long-term border skirmishes, with the Balts launching incursions into his territory in raids and counter-raids (keep in mind, this means Konrad did his fair share of raiding against the Balts, since raiding in this context is performed for military and political purposes rather than bald-faced banditry) while the Balts attempted to regain control of Chelmno and Konrad attempted to keep it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livonian_Crusade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_I_of_Masovia

Historical Christianity has quite a lot in common with Islam and ISIS.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.