[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Plato call his main character Socrates? If he simply

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: plato-the-republic.jpg (796KB, 874x1416px) Image search: [Google]
plato-the-republic.jpg
796KB, 874x1416px
Why did Plato call his main character Socrates? If he simply wished to have a character to describe logic why didn't he use himself? How is he honoring his dead friend by giving him views he never had?

Also where do i go next with Plato and philosophy in general after I finish pic related? I'v e been told to move onto Descartes
>>
>>1822433
>How is he honoring his dead friend by giving him views he never had?
Maybe because that wasn't his real goal?
>>
>>1822433

Read Hobbes and Locke, then Rawls and Nozick for some standard cannon stuff. Hit up Cohen's "Rescuing Justice and Equality", Dworkin's "Sovereign Virtue", and Otsuka's "Libertarianism without Inequality"... for some further reading into egalitarianism and left libertarianism.

- that was most of the reading for a grad seminar I took.
>>
>>1822433
Plato wasn't the first to write dialogues with Socrates as a main character, and was situating himself in a particular literary genre, that of the logoi sokratikoi.

Basically, start Plato over, begin with the Alcibiades, then move forward through his early dialogs, until you reach the Meno. Pause there, read Vlastos' "Socrates: Ironist and Moral Philosopher", and then enter the realm of the mature thought of Plato. Exit his works with the Timaeus/Laws.

Move on to Plotinus, then Porphyry, Iamblichus, and exit with Proclus.
>>
>>1822860
>logoi sokratikoi
Scholars have speculated for years about an early gospel containing just logoi or sayings of Jesus Christ. This sayings of Socrates genre kind of throws some light into how the Jesus cult could have developed.
>>
>>1823046
Mathew, Mark and Luke were all basically lads.

But John knew some of the classics and ripped Plato off to basically build all of Christian dualism / divine rules.
>>
>>1822860
OP here, sorry I took so long to reply

Thanks for the recommendations, but I believe I understand Republic quite well, at least on a surface level. How exactly does it build on earlier work?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.