[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think nationalism has basically taken the role of religion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: zc4zTY1.jpg (134KB, 763x437px) Image search: [Google]
zc4zTY1.jpg
134KB, 763x437px
I think nationalism has basically taken the role of religion in modern society. Everyone seems to take the nation-state as an unquestionable thing, the source of one's identity and purpose. Even people who claim to be hardcore communists take for granted that we should continue to define ourselves like this. It's very strange to someone like me, who's never felt an attachment to the abstract idea of nationality. It seems really obvious that the whole idea is a historical romanticism usually fueled by an ancestral myth. Questioning the myth is as tasteless as announcing being a heretic used to be.

I already know the responses people are likely to give here, >muh ancestors, preserving the great work of the people before you etc. But seriously, when you look at it without baggage, why should someone support their nation?
>>
>>1820714
If a culture/nation cannot force its people to support their nation, it's going to be defeated and replaced by the one that does.
Simple natural selection.
>>
File: seccturk.jpg (34KB, 443x380px) Image search: [Google]
seccturk.jpg
34KB, 443x380px
>>1820714
>why should someone support their nation?
Because without national identity you are just another poor peasant living on someone else lands with no cultural or historical ties that helped buid it into greatness of one tribe of indigenous people uniting.

Like an American for example.
>>
>>1820725
American's all have a common bond in that 99.5% of them left their homeland for the US. That coupled with an admiration for liberal democracy and you get an intensely nationalistic (or patriotic rather) populace.
>>
>>1820724
>If a state cannot force its people to support their nation, it's going to be defeated and replaced by the one that does.
FTFY.
>>
>>1820737
Whom are you answering to?
>>
>>1820714
>white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it

Not an adherent of the WE WUZZers but this got a giggle out of me.
>>
To be quite honest, while I personally despise nationalism, you're pretty blind if you don't see that the entire media, and the establishment of politics in the Western world is actively trying to suppress any kind of affinity with culture or ethnic identity.

While nationalism usually takes the form of glorifying the state(A bad thing in my view), it should be possible to be proud of your ethnic or cultural identity without the first response to it being a reductio ad Hitlerum.
>>
File: 1473034045154.jpg (293KB, 1280x868px) Image search: [Google]
1473034045154.jpg
293KB, 1280x868px
I honestly believe nationalism to be a mere stepping stone in our evolution as a species.

It goes like this: Man is a social creature, who is made and shaped by his parents. They themselves have parents; this constitutes the family. Family grows, becomes a clan. Several clans give birth to a tribe. Tribes become city-states, that give birth to republics, or form a kingdom. From these emerge nation-states. Great nations make Empires, and the final steps are the continents, or the whole Globe.
The consequences of the mid-20th century events just made a big mess out of this.

(I'd be happy to be contradicted by someone better versed in history; I know these kind of formulæ are usually just intellectual masturbation.)
>>
>>1820987
So in short, nationalism leads to globalism?
>>
This would've been a relevant thread before 1990.
>>
>>1821002
Yes, ironically.
>>
>>1821002
>>1821012
In fact, look at France. A great nation.
Before it moulded itself into nation, adapted itself to take that step, an Occitán, a Provencal, a Breton, a Norman and a French would've been difficult to unify into a coherent state.
It later took on colonies and contemporary French citizens from the Isle of Reunion or Mauritius see themselves as French before anything else.
Senegalese and Algerians aren't that far from it either, their common history is merely more complicated.

America is another great example. And with the advent of the internet, the next step is basically knocking on our door.
>>
>>1820987
Empires were relevant before nation-states were popular.
>>
>>1821058
Empires were not solid "social blocks" though, they are made of master nation and enslaved nations. Once the master nation is weakend the enslaved ones will seek freedom.
>>
>>1820725
Tripfag
>>
>>1820987
>>1821034

The problem with this is that the trend is not straightforward. Large. multiethnic empires existed since ancient history, but actually went into decline in 20th century, while the nation-state, a modern concept, has risen in their place.

What we currently have is a loose cooperation between independent nation-states. Even stronger organizations like the EU have trouble moving towards multinational federalism, because nation-states were evolved to be rigid and resistant. They promote a strong group identity that is hard to break.
>>
>>1820714
I wish the meme of nationalism would go away.
>>
>>1820714
Nationalism has taken the place of religion only in the sense that the names are known and all else is the product of misunderstanding an d modern myth making.

Religion(s) served as an international unifying force for culture worldwide.

Nationalism(s) demand(s) isolation and cultural seclusion, else conquest of extra-nationals and their resources.

Religion was the province of the educated who 'ministered' the faith to the unwashed masses.

Nationalism is derived from the unwashed masses experiential poverty as with regard to the wealth of both domestic and foreign cultures. And it is administered as faith to the educated classes who stomach it about as well as the peasants once did; paying lip service and gaining social capital out of feigned allegiance to holier than thou caricatures of nationalist scripture they have no interest in beyond their own selfish ends.

Do not mistake the shouts of the mob's witch hunt, and the leaderships' complicity with it for the cannon truth. It is simply viewed as too expensive to educate and alleviate this kind of intellectual poverty. Fortunately, it is suicidal and willing to war with the like minded disadvantaged abroad.

Globalism, as well as social contract and consent based governance are becoming more viable in the wealthier, free-er, and better educated societies as they have with the intelligentsia and wealthy of the past. I believe this phenomena is the source of your apathy towards nationalism.

For example some Thomas Jefferson:

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Sadly, it didn't stop the power starved around him from creating parties, nations, blocs, etc with their own myths and sacred credos.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.