[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could Phillip II have conquered China

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
I was listening to the In Our Time podcast (pretty solid btw) on Matteo Ricci when one of the guests mentioned that on several occasions Phillip II was told by advisers that with 50,000 soldiers and an armada they could conquer China. Would he have gotten btfo? I'm talking full on conquering, disposing of the government and ruling all of China directly
>>
His advisors seem to have thought so.
>>
>>1819900
They also thought invading England was a great idea though
>>
>>1819904
My point was that they would know better than the crowd of retarded street children who respond to threads on this board, being acquainted with the Spain of their time and the capabilities of the Spanish military first hand.
Obviously an argument can be made that, yes, it could have been done with an armada and 50,000 soldiers. Obviously an argument can be made that it couldn't have been done with that. Most obviously of all, you're not going to get a decent response from this board, largely because your question is shit. His advisors wouldn't have told him it was possible if it seemed impossible to them, unless they were trying to destroy the empire or something. There's your answer, it's fucking contained in the question you asked.
The outcome of many wars is based partially on luck, the Spanish Armada may very well have conquered England had circumstances been slightly different.
>>
>>1819904
Had they landed instead of their fleet being effectively Banzai Nippon'd they might just aswel have
>>
>>1819915
Do you think his Spanish 16th century advisers had any clue on China
>>
>>1819927
Yes
>>
>>1819927
Yes
>>
>>1819915
So do you think they could have conquered them or not? :^)
>>
>>1819887
No. They were already having a hard time keeping that colony in the Philippines safe from Muslims. Chinese/Japanese Pirates and local warlords. A foray into China is ludicrous.

Also the Augustinian Martin de Rada in the Philippines and later Spanish Envoy to China gave this number to King Philip II in his report about Ming China.

In addition, Ming China and Spain were close buddies. Spain pays in silver. In fucking silver. This makes them the most valuable customer of Chink goods. Not Japan, not the meme Silk Route no longer, Spain. They had each other's back versus pirates, as shown when Ming China sent a fleet to hunt down the dreaded pirate lord, Limahong, who was bearing down on the Philippines during the 1570s'-1580s. According to Spanish records in Friar Chirino's "Relacion de las Islas Filipinas" (1600s), the Ming Emperor sent a certain "Captain Omoncon" (A Spanish rendering of a Chinese name) to assist Spain in capturing the pirate lord.
>>
>>1819915

>Implying advisors can't be retarded and stupid

Politicians and bureaucrats get it wrong all the fucking time. There's absolutely no way they could have conquered China. Before steam ships Europeans struggled to project power in Asia and in almost every encounter with the local powers they got their shit pushed in.
>>
>>1819915
The reason the Armada failed against England was the retarded Spanish advisors.
>>
>>1819887
I don't think in the history of colonization a european army of 50k was brought to bear on any one place.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.