[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did the average medieval knight smell like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

What did the average medieval knight smell like?
>>
grease and shit
>>
Shit.
>>
an earthy smoky kind of smell with a whiff of body odor if he adjusts or takes off his clothing

contrary to popular belief they didn't smear themselves in shit
>>
>>1817184
dirty crotches and armpits and strong perfume.
>>
>>1817184
Very pale, rather fit, rather short, very hairy, almost always unwashed, likely to be diseased and had the looks of a pretty average fella.
Not even a suit of armor most of the time.
>>
>>1817184

Body odour.
>>
>>1817184
Myrrh probably.
>>
>>1817184
Middle School locker room.
>>
>>1817191
>>1817193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYTeqYW5zvU&t=1m15s
>>
>>1817184
Varies as much as anyone for fuck sake.

In the height of Knightly life. The early straight up warrior ones they're gonna smell of sweat and ass most of the time like most soldiers.
>>
>>1817234
doubtful, he'd be outside most of the day and if buildings weren't drafty they would likely smell of something else
>>
Probably better than the peasants. When on campaign probably better than the ordinary soldiers.
>>
>>1817184

Like Baldricks underpants since he has never changed them
>>
Like pussy
>>
Humans sense of smell didn't fully evolve until the 1800s, which is ironically the century when soap was invented.
>>
Rusty milk bags and sand.
>>
>>1817184

The refined smell of horse shit and deus vult
>>
Horse, you idiots.
>>
>>1817184
Sweat and horse. Though they bathed fairly frequently with soap and brushed with mint because they thought bad smells were disease.
>>
Manure, like everyone else
>>
>be a knight
>inna battle
>formations are taking all day
>man I really have to shit
>I can't take off this armor on my own and even with help it would take 15 minutes to take it off and put it back on
>...
>welp atleast I have a squire to clean it for me
>>
>>1817445

what this guy said...took long enough.
>>
When they were on duty probably like sweat and horse.
>>
>>1817235
Does this guy enjoy anything?
>>
>>1817184
Piety and manliness. DEUS VULT!
>>
Like sweat and dirt. Women of the age carried buddles of dried flowers to cover the smell some. Imagine what you smell like on the daily without a shower imagine a week or more. My feet smell like hell after 1 day.
>>
>>1818395
Feet will always be bad. That's why foot washing was such a big thing. But otherwise the odour of sweat and stuff depends a lot on your diet, and they ate pretty cleanly when not feasting with the nobles.
>>
It depends. Even in modern times wars, soldiers smell like shit and filth.
So, in times of peace, knights were rich. They smelled good.
In war... well...
Imagine being outside home for 3 years or so, fighting like a madman every day and bathing yourself one day per week. Plus, add the smell of rust and rotting blood.
>>
>>1817434
>people actually think this is true
>>
Haha
>>
>>1817184
Like the average basement dwelling /his/torian
>>
like their horse
>>
>>1818387

The lindyhop dance.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.