[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ know about Jehova's Witnesses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 20

File: JW1.jpg (164KB, 670x427px) Image search: [Google]
JW1.jpg
164KB, 670x427px
What does /his/ know about Jehova's Witnesses?
>>
I know that I'm forbidden by law from luring them into my home and imprisoning them for heresy
>>
Nice enough people when they're not trying to convert you as you wait for your LIRR train.
>>
>>1814342

Their "church" was started by a guy who said the world was going to end multiple times and then his followers spewed the same crap.

They are also not Christian since they do not believe in the Trinity, only the father.
>>
Here is a brief and informative history.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/history-of-the-jehovahs-witnesses
>>
>>1814342
They are wrong about the name of God so that makes me less likely to take anything else they say seriously.
>>
Low quality heresy desu.
>>
>>1814342
Should be made illigal since their religion breaks the law. They have the whole "if you leave you family wont speak to you ever" which is basically a cult practice.
>>
I used to be one.
its shit.
http://www.jwfacts.com
>>
>>1814356
It is basically proddy arianism
>>
Cousins are JW. They are basically a Christian doomsday cult that sit more inbetween christianity and orthodox jewish.

legit a cult though, for example, one of my cousins got divorced from an abusive relationship, so she got excommunicated from the church and the rest are never allowed to associate with them again.

Also for a JW wedding I had to go to, it was literally in this crazy cult compound in the mountains in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>1814504
Oh also my uncle died because he wasn't allowed to have a blood transfusion. Yet he actually apparently said it was a huge mistake on his deathbed that he couldn't see his children grow up.

So he literally died for no reason.
>>
>>1814491

OK? Arianism is heresy so they are still not Christians.
>>
>>1814342

Former JW here. AMA
>>
>>1814641
How did you leave?
>>
>>1814491
It goes much further than that, it's really similar to Islam or Mormonism.
>>
>>1814641
do they have initiation rituals?
do they all have to become missionaries?
what goes on at their meetings?
have you been shunned?
>>
>>1814355
>Nice enough people

they think they are the only people who will be saved and everyone else will be annihilated
>>
File: main.jpg (127KB, 1189x936px) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
127KB, 1189x936px
>>1814645

I sort of didn't, in a way.

For those unaware, this religion is very difficult to leave especially if you are born into it, as your local JW communities are incredibly insular and don't take in outsiders (as friends/family) unless they convert, even close relationships with blood related family is frowned upon if they are unbelievers. Dissidents and heretics are excommunicated in a process called "Disfellowshipping" where the society (in house name synonmous with "the church") strips you of any sort of standing within the organization and your friends/family shun you, almost pretending like you are dead. You might as well be, as for many it is as traumatic as someone dying.

Anyways, I expressed my none belief to my parents, after a few frustrating years. They were heartbroken, and any attempt to explain or rationalize why I felt the way I did (as in, accept the reality of the world) was met with accusations of being under the influence of satan, I was reading apostate literature, ect.

I kept getting taken into the back room of the congregations local kingdom hall by the elders (priests and deacons) to be lectured and to save my faith, but they didnt have any hard evidence of spiritual wrongdoing so they had no grounds to disfellowship me on. Dad's health is poor, thinks me disfellowshipping or resigning will take enough of a toll on him to kill him, so they gave me some money and I moved a few hours away to Phoenix. We still have contact, I have prevented any JW spiritual authority from contacting me though. This is the best for them, although I wish I could formally leave the religion.
>>
>>1814641
How does one stop them from visiting them?
>>
>>1814449
Im not the op but i wanted to say thanks for posting that link, Its gonna be really helpful to me, i didnt knew that site existed.
>>
>>1814650

>do they have initiation rituals?

Baptism, which is pretty standard flair for Christianity of course. However becoming baptized into this faith is a huge step within them, they take it as seriously as the mafia does when a member is made into a made man. Its heavy shit, and breaking the vows of the baptism leads to some serious ramifcations, some are arbitrary others are serious like excommunication. Once you go under the water, they own you.

>do they all have to become missionaries?

Yes but the expectation isn't the same as say within the catholic church or the mormons. Your expected to at the very least do about 10 hours a month of proselytation work (door to door) and the more zealous ones do more. Theres a ton of pressure to ALWAYS do more, and no amount of hours or effort is ever satisfactory.

>what goes on at their meetings?

When I left, there were two meetings a week. A sunday sermon, typically your standard preacher on the podium reading shit from the bible type shit, followed by a group discourse of that week's Watchtower study. The second meeting of the week was typically "schooling" for the ministry work, preaching as well as trainee type sermons, usually from younger or newer members. And women. Women aren't allowed to give sermons in the same fashion as men.

>have you been shunned?

No, or I don't think so. If i have my folks haven't told me. I haven't had any contact from people from my old life, apart from my parents, my sister and her husband. I do wish to formally leave the church one day, maybe after my father passes away.
>>
>>1814659

Ask to be placed on their "Do not call list", with whatever degree of politeness you prefer. They normally will respect that. They're mostly good folk, just brainwashed.
>>
File: che-castro.jpg (252KB, 1474x900px) Image search: [Google]
che-castro.jpg
252KB, 1474x900px
>>1814654

This is true, they see themselves as trying to shepherd you back to the grace of god, so you won't be killed. Most genuinely care about their cause, even if it is downsies as fuck
>>
>>1814641
is it true they use a shitty translation of the bible?
>>
>>1814641
How controlling are they of the media their children consume?
>>
>>1814660
Np man.
Practically taboo linking there but w/e... there's also an Ex-JW subreddit /r/exjw
>>
>>1814684

To my knowledge, some theologians like that they properly translated many parts into more modern and sensible grammar and sentence structure, but they also change a fuck ton of significant passages to fit their agenda. John 1:1 is a big one for instance

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/books/john/1/

The word is changed to from "the word was god" to "the word was a god" to fit the notion that the trinity wasn't a thing, as they are none trinitarian. Thats the biggest one that comes to mind, others include inserting the divine YHWH name (or translated to Jehovah) several times into the new testament, where it obviously wasn't before. Of course they are told to believe that it is the most accurate translation of the bible, and a word for word copy of the original texts, without question .
>>
File: mrlDAqg0.png (348KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
mrlDAqg0.png
348KB, 401x401px
>>1814691

Very, some more so then others. Many facets of entertainment vary from being acceptable to taboo depending on the geographical region your in. The doctrine is very unified and enforced across all congregations worldwide, but they rarely make explicit instructions to avoid a certain type of entertainment. They went through your typical religious right wing fearmongoriong on shit like rock and rap music back in the day, DnD, ect.

Harry Potter is widely considered to be demonic and very few JWs I knew were allowed to watch/read it. Typically it was the parents discretion, some were more liberal then others. Mine were fairly tolerant, but they did freak out when they saw my sister reading Goblet of Fire when we were kids.
>>
Currently fucking one who was raised JW. Religious topics are a total fucking minefield, as she certainly, without question knows the real meaning the bible, the True and Correct Teachings of Chirst, and the End is Coming.

She's also into homeopathy and other made up shit, go figure.

A bit of a PAWG, though, and very exciting sexually.
>>
>>1814716
how did you meet her?
have you tried weaning her off it?
has she tried converting/'saving' you?
>>
File: Tryndamere_0.jpg (300KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Tryndamere_0.jpg
300KB, 1215x717px
>>1814716

>She's also into homeopathy and other made up shit, go figure.

They fall for alternative medicine and pyramid scheme multi level marketing shit like moths to flames. That shit is all set up to prey on cult minded people who don't question much.

Grats on the PAWG tho, i love some big white ass
>>
do they believe in young earth creationism?
>>
File: 1475215530885s.jpg (6KB, 142x250px) Image search: [Google]
1475215530885s.jpg
6KB, 142x250px
>>1814725

Yes and no. Their beliefs on the age of the earth and science surrounding geology are consistent with the scientific consensus, but they do not believe in evolution, and believe that man was created somewhere between 7000-10000bc.
>>
>>1814721
1. OKC, actually.
2. No luck at all weaning her off it. She is immune to logic and reason, even more that your typical woman.
3. She knows that I actively try to be free of spooks wherever I may find them, and is innately submissive, so there is no pressure from her to join the brainwashing.
>>
File: 1474420053050.jpg (435KB, 1474x2208px) Image search: [Google]
1474420053050.jpg
435KB, 1474x2208px
>>1814740

Don't get too attatched bro, theres a good chance she'll "sober up" to her worldly ways and cut off contact with you to repent in the faith
>>
>>1814355
hare krishnas are far superior street preachers

they dont even really preach desu just collect cash to feed the homeless
>>
Ill answer these too cause I'm bored.

>>1814645
I also didn't, in a way.
Like he said leaving is hard because family and "friends" will cut you off if you're baptized. If you're not like me its at least a little easier depending on the people.
The JWs I'm still on contact with know I don't go to meetings (church) often so they're a little weary around me. But they know I don't and won't share my views and stuff about the org, i.e. act like an apostate.

>>1814650
>do they have initiation rituals?
in a sense, no but if you want to be recognized as a "real" JW (for lack if a better term), you will be urged to get baptized
>do they all have to become missionaries?
no but again it is heavily encouraged

>what goes on at their meetings?
Sundays there is a 30 minute bible discourse where the speaker will explain a topic of our worship to the audience, and then an hour spent studying that week's Watchtower article (the one they give you is for the public, they use a "study edition" at the meeting)

On weeknights (Tue, Wed, or Thu) there is another 30 minute discourse, 30 minutes on a book that is basically a Watchtower meant to last a year, and 30 minutes spent on shorter bible discourses.

There are 3 "breaks" each meeting where a song is sung by the congregation accompanied by music. 1 at the beginning, middle, and end. The ones at the beginning and end have a prayer after the song.
As I stated in my reply to >>1814645 I haven't been to one in quite a ling time so this may not be completely accurate.

>have you been shunned?
In a way I am both thankful and yet sort of uneasy that I haven't been shunned. (Not yet at least)

>>1814659
Next time they knock on your door, answer it and tell them that you are not interested and put your address on the Do-Not-Call list.
Or tell them your disfellowshipped to see them shuffle out a "oh-oh..." ;)

>>1814684
Yes. Its basically KJV translated into modern english and then plenty of names and such changed to fit their doctrine.
>>
>>1814722
Oh yes, I get so many of those "This study shows that..." articles. There is so much broscience that I can barely even

Thanks on the grats. This weekend marked the most successful anal sex yet!
>>
>>1814753

shit man i hope its nice and soft
>>
Stingy fucks
All they give is pamphlets, while the Mormons will give you any scripture you want free
>>
>>1814748
I think she was raised in it, but doesn't seem to active in it, other than retaining the overall brainwashing and sense of biblical superiority. If she leaves, it will be for entirely non-religous reasons. Nice pic, though.
>>
File: V 2015.jpg (2MB, 2444x3628px) Image search: [Google]
V 2015.jpg
2MB, 2444x3628px
>>1814760
While this pic is not actually her, it's a very accurate likeness.
>>
>>1814771

lucky dog

hope she doesn't break any hearts
>>
>>1814691
That depends on the parents.

For most its basically no violent video games, no non-Disney magic, no holiday stuff (especially halloween) and of course no "satanic" stuff.

However I did know a couple kids who probably still don't know who Snow White is.

>>1814716
Devout in the streets
Chaotic in the sheets
;)
also this >>1814748
but if >>1814764 is true id start inching towards making her fade away.
Ill say it again even though its 4chan heresy but visit /r/exjw if you want or need tips on how to tell her that the Org is a burning pile of trash.

>>1814725
What >>1814729 said
>>
>>1814752

much better indepth description of the meetings then I gave
>>
File: 11134855.jpg (27KB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
11134855.jpg
27KB, 300x226px
>>1814773

my apostate comrade
>>
>>1814491
They're not Protestant, they reject all 5 solae
>>
File: 1463569684400.png (26KB, 290x272px) Image search: [Google]
1463569684400.png
26KB, 290x272px
>>1814775
Hello friend
>>
File: 1474688474913.jpg (178KB, 1680x1115px) Image search: [Google]
1474688474913.jpg
178KB, 1680x1115px
>>1814781

One day I hope my family wakes up from this, I'm sure you can understand the grief it can bring
>>
>>1814773
>Ill say it again even though its 4chan heresy but visit /r/exjw if you want or need tips on how to tell her that the Org is a burning pile of trash.

Appreciated, but like I said, she is immune to reason and facts, and it's a fucking minefield that I rarely care to enter. Rawdogging to mouthshot is a way better way to spend our visits.
>>
Came for the religious discussion, stayed for the PAWGS.
>>
>>1814783
Same. I already got shit stirring in my family with half being non- or ex-jws and others being very into it. On top of family issues like grandparents getting sick and stuff..
yeesh

>>1814784
>Rawdogging to mouthshot is a way better way to spend our visits.
Kek
>>
File: On Side 01.jpg (399KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
On Side 01.jpg
399KB, 1280x853px
There really are no mods here, huh?
>>
File: CoiheNFXYAAsGGv.jpg (89KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
CoiheNFXYAAsGGv.jpg
89KB, 1200x675px
>>1814803

who could hate on the pawgs?
>>
>>1814803
yeah but plz don't post anything other than tasteful milfs
>>
>>1814342
I don't have any personal problem with them and there are those who can be very nice to meet and talk with. A bit absurd beliefs but I think everyone can believe wathever they want. However I have 2 complains on them:

>They have a disgusting obsession with correct speaking and grammar. It seems that they need to speak always like language literates. However they don't realise that most of the language organisations and academies that establish the rules of a language are directly financed and supported by the governments. So, what's the point? DO they SUPPORT what the government says or not? Shouldn't they be neutrals in that aspect too? It's something that annoys me.

>In the city where I live they always set their booths on Fridays just in front of the only mosque in the whole city. I mean, what the fuck do they pretend by doing this? The city is big as shit and they have to be where all the Muslims go to pray. Don't they realise how aggresive it can be perceived by other people if you try to convert them when they go to pray? I'm not even a Muslim, but I can tell you that those Jehova Witnesses are acting as the biggest biggots in this planet.
>>
>>1815122

>>In the city where I live they always set their booths on Fridays just in front of the only mosque in the whole city. I mean, what the fuck do they pretend by doing this? The city is big as shit and they have to be where all the Muslims go to pray. Don't they realise how aggresive it can be perceived by other people if you try to convert them when they go to pray? I'm not even a Muslim, but I can tell you that those Jehova Witnesses are acting as the biggest biggots in this planet.

This is far from their most predatory of practises. My congregation would contact the family of people listed in obituaries to peddle their drivel. Get em while they're down.
>>
>>1814342
I spend a month or two living in London each year, and there's often one or two standing out the front of major underground stations. I've seen people knock their pamphlets out of their hands, ram into them, and spit on them.

You don't have to agree with their beliefs, take their pamphlets, or even acknowledge them - but being outright rude and hostile to them just seems uncalled for. I mean, I've never seen brits do it to muslims or scientologists, just seems like they're going for an easy target.
>>
>>1814342
Nothing
>>
File: J.F._Rutherford.gif (125KB, 306x461px) Image search: [Google]
J.F._Rutherford.gif
125KB, 306x461px
>>1819295

They're very passive about everything, typically don't seek retaliation of any kind outside of the legal sphere. Their naivety about the world makes them very vulnerable, and despite hating their leadership and the doctrine they push, really don't deserve it.

Heres some more fun info.

However their actions in the past are much more questionable, and likely led to the stances they take today.

Joseph F Rutherford was to Charles Taze Russel (the founder) as Brigham Young was to Joseph Smith of the mormon church, and oversaw a vaster overhaul of the groups dealings in the public atmosphere. He was a noted anti-semite and sent letters of solidarity to Hitler when the Third Reich began targeting JW's for their political neutrality. This was inaffective, and turned more attention to the small population of witnesses in Europe at the time. They were thrown into political prisoner concentration camps, although likely didn't face the systemic elimination often associated with the jews (they like to play this up as if they were part of the actual holocaust, despite only a meager number of casualties). Overall it was still a crime done to them, yet they maintained stubborn neutrality despite persecution. Rutherford continued to oversee the transformation of the religion into the real estate company masquerading as a religious publishing company masquerading as a cult that it is today.

Pic related, Joseph Rutherford. motherfucker was handsome, but slimy as fuck
>>
File: Rutherford_Beth_Sarim_Fireplace.jpg (1MB, 2709x2088px) Image search: [Google]
Rutherford_Beth_Sarim_Fireplace.jpg
1MB, 2709x2088px
>>1820623

Some more on JF Rutherford, he had the Watchtower finance (through donations) the build of a 10 bedroom mansion in San Diego in 1929, dubbing it Beth Sarim or (House of The Princes) claiming it was going to house the resurrected biblical patriarchs such as Abraham and Moses. Of course, he was living in it too, lmao. What a scam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_Sarim
>>
>>1814504
>They are basically a Christian doomsday cult

So Christians?
>>
>>1820708

Moreso. Their literature pushes the narrative that christ is coming back literally any minute, and they are all constantly waiting and wondering if its gonna be tomorrow, or next year. The youth are brought up with the mentality to not take any stock in this side of the apocolypse, so they all end up in shit tier jobs and poverty is a pretty big problem in the religion because of it.

Why bother preparing for your life when jesus is gonna do away with this system any moment? Why not work for the church for FREE!

Their publishing house/world headquarters in NY is a huge ass facility, nearly self sufficient. They grow their own crops, raise their own livestock, solar power. All ran by a large army of unpaid volunteers. It's seen as the pinnacle of a young man's life if he applys, is accepted and serves at "bethel", the HQ
>>
>>1821234
>so they all end up in shit tier jobs and poverty is a pretty big problem in the religion because of it.

In my country they are usually carpenters or run small window cleaning companies and seem to do pretty well, only thing they don't like are academic careers. Is the American branch just way more conservative than the others?
>>
>>1821383

I'm guessing so. None of the youth in my area really branched out into any sort of vocational training at all. The few that do make decent money, do a lot of it as under the table laborers working for the more affluent JWs
>>
>>1820623
>real estate company masquerading as a religious publishing company masquerading as a cult
That seems about right, from everything I've seen.

They just (within the past few years) sold their HUGE Brooklyn Watchtower center. I'm sure they recieved many millions for such a choice piece of real estate.
>>
>>1821234
>It's seen as the pinnacle of a young man's life if he applys, is accepted and serves at "bethel", the HQ
In talking to a JW, I noticed how utterly in awe she was of those serving at this HQ, like they had some kind of divine prominence or magically connection to Jehovah, putting them on a higher spiritual level or some shit.
>>
File: raymond_franz_21.jpg (55KB, 311x262px) Image search: [Google]
raymond_franz_21.jpg
55KB, 311x262px
>>1821707
>like they had some kind of divine prominence or magically connection to Jehovah, putting them on a higher spiritual level or some shit.

This is exactly how they see them, a direct channel between the society and god. They're pretty vague about the manner in which they supposodly receive instruction, but its generally thought they communicate near directly with Jehovah. They are practically worshipped.

A member of the governing body (high command) went rogue a few decades back and detailed his experience into a book as one of the grand poobahs. He learned pretty quickly they were full of shit and ended up getting kicked out because of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_of_Conscience

Pic related, Raymond Franz, the hero that religion needed
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.