[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a Translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3315.jpg (169KB, 800x513px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3315.jpg
169KB, 800x513px
Hey /his/, I stumbled across a piece of paper with words scribbled down on it while at college a couple days ago. I had asked a friend who spoke Portuguese if he could read it, and my father who speaks Spanish if he could read it, but they both said they could only pick up on small pieces. Some of the terminology and symbols used lead me to believe it's old Latin (Ex: the use of æ), and most likely just some notes a student took on something said in an old document probably related to the Catholic Church (Crusades maybe?)
Anyways, I'm just really curious and I know sources like Google Translate likely will butcher it, and I was curious if there was anyone here who mastered in the Latin language who could tell me what it exactly says (as in a complete translation) and if it's referring to any particular event.
>inb4 don't make us do your homework, this isn't homework.

Deum Verum

Veníte, exsultémus Dómino, jubilémus Deo, salutári nostro : præoccupémus fáciem ejus in confessióne, et in psalmis jubilémus ei.

Quóniam Deus magnus Dóminus, et Rex magnus super omnes deos : quóniam non repéllet Dóminus plebem suam : quia in manu ejus sunt omnes fines terræ, et altitúdines móntium ipse cónspicit.

Quóniam ipsíus est mare, et ipse fecit illud, et áridam fundavérunt manus ejus : veníte, adorémus, et procidámus ante Deum: +plorémus coram Dómino, qui fecit nos, quia ipse est Dóminus Deus noster ; nos autem pópulus ejus, et oves páscuæ ejus.

Hódie, si vocem ejus audiéritis, nolíte obduráre corda vestra, sicut in exacerbatióne, secúndum diem tentatiónis in desérto : ubi tentavérunt me patres vestri, probavérunt et vidérunt ópera mea.

Quadragínta annis próximus fui generatióni huic, et dixi : Semper hi errant corde ; ipsi vero non cognovérunt vias meas : quibus jurávi in ira mea : Si introíbunt in réquiem meam.

Glória Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, et in sæcula sæculórum.
>>
It's Latin for sure
>>
>>1813905

'Islam is a religion of peace'
>>
>>1814935
this is pretty much the core message
>>
>>1813905
>Patri, et Fílio, et Spirítui Sancto
"Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit"
>>
>>1814937
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>1813905
Look, its Psalom 94 at latin
http://www.traditio.com/office/sunmatin.htm
>>
>>1813905
This is some kind of medieval Latin, not sure about the exact period and place tho. Here's how much I got

>Deum Verum

(dedicated to?) the true god

>Veníte, exsultémus Dómino, jubilémus Deo, salutári nostro : præoccupémus fáciem ejus in confessióne, et in psalmis jubilémus ei.

Come, we laud the Lord, we praise the Lord, our savior: whose deed we ponder in confession and in the psalms we laud him.

>Quóniam Deus magnus Dóminus, et Rex magnus super omnes deos : quóniam non repéllet Dóminus plebem suam : quia in manu ejus sunt omnes fines terræ, et altitúdines móntium ipse cónspicit.

Because God (is?) the great lord, and great king over all gods: bceause the lord does not reject his servant, which he holds in his hand like all firm earth and with which he errected the heights of the mountains. [this was very loosely translated]

>Quóniam ipsíus est mare, et ipse fecit illud, et áridam fundavérunt manus ejus : veníte, adorémus, et procidámus ante Deum: +plorémus coram Dómino, qui fecit nos, quia ipse est Dóminus Deus noster ; nos autem pópulus ejus, et oves páscuæ ejus.

Because his is the sea and himself did he create it and his hand created the dry land [= that which is not sea, maybe "fields" would be better]: come, we worship and kneel before God: we lament to the heart of the Lord, who created us, who is our Lord and God, but we are his people, and his Pentecost lamb. [the ending is a literal translation].

>Hódie, si vocem ejus audiéritis, nolíte obduráre corda vestra, sicut in exacerbatióne, secúndum diem tentatiónis in desérto : ubi tentavérunt me patres vestri, probavérunt et vidérunt ópera mea.

Today, when you heard his voice, you will not lock him out of your hears, like in bitternes, the second day of temptation in the desert: where your fathers tempted me, tested me and saw my works.

[1/2]
>>
>Accents

Well it ain't classical latin
>>
File: YstavatPimeanJalkeen.jpg (162KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
YstavatPimeanJalkeen.jpg
162KB, 1920x1080px
Since you are at it in this thread could you help translating this sentence to Latin?
>"A friend midst misery"
What I'm looking at
A friend = "companion" "friend"
midst = physically and mentally
misery = "misery" "distress" "squalor" "pain and fatigue" "Anguish"

Google translate would suggest something like this:
"amico dolorem in medio"
"a amicus in medio miseriam"
But I'd like not to fall for the "Random-Chinese-Sign-Tattoo"-syndrome.
Thanks beforehand.
>>
>>1816743
Anyone?
>>
>>1816743
>>1816868
No-one?
>>
>>1813905
Yes
>>
>>1816743
Google translate sure is garbage.

"Amicus in miseria" is probably the most straightforward translation. But if you are at it, why don't you go for a more famous and poetic phrase? I suggest "Amicus certus re incerta cernitur" (a true friend is shown in a difficult time).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.