[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You like history and art? Well then why not have it!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 6

File: painting.jpg (1MB, 1077x1464px) Image search: [Google]
painting.jpg
1MB, 1077x1464px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LaMJ_5us5U
Hello,
I've made a few threads here talking about some videos I'm making and you guys have been receptive, so a new one is out on:
Western Europe and their Renaissances
First up, the Renaissance in the Low Countries. I have a lot of history to cover, and touch on:
>islamic slave trade
>history of the Franks
>Venice and building their own island
>The Low Countries and that they used to be literally underwater, including polders etc
>universities originate in the west

and lots of other stuff. I also get into Jan Van Eyck and the practice started there where artists would smuggle doctors into their anatomy lectures, since only artists were allowed to autopsy bodies for a while.

How do you feel about the renaissance in the Low Countries? Jan Van Eyck? The west in general?
>>
File: Siebmacher219.jpg (3MB, 3097x2529px) Image search: [Google]
Siebmacher219.jpg
3MB, 3097x2529px
>>1813580
there's also a good bit of info on free imperial cities and why you'd run away if you were a peasant with a bad lord
middle ages had tons of innovation most people take for granted
>>
File: EU20_85Burgundy.jpg (1MB, 940x1612px)
EU20_85Burgundy.jpg
1MB, 940x1612px
>>1813580
Well I'll leave a final bump in case anyone wants to talk about the middle ages or the low countries

from the video
>Rome was havng many troubles associated with decadence- increased corruption, lowered public confidence, higher taxes, and politicians and Emperors who cared for little beyond their own interest. Roman citizens began to feel the strain of a nation far flung from its original intent, serving no longer as a bastion of innovation but now simply a seat of power to be obtained and wielded for its own sake. Their law system became a joke, one emperor nailed his laws to the top of a 100ft column so he could try people for breaking laws he had “made public.” If that sounds crazy, its not too far off from today, where bills 100 years ago were 4 pages and could be read by anyone who could read, and today they're 4000 pages long and even the people writing them don't really read them. If you can't read the law, how can you trust it, much less those who craft it?
>>
Bumpo
>>
>>1813694
thanks, I'll keep it going for any anons who may be watching
I know they're long but right now I'm not really in the position to make multiple short videos, I only have one or two days a week to really do everything at once

>Why pick the low countries as a starting point for Western Europe's reclaiming of the Western Civilization mantle? This relatively small area went through violent and ambitious change and upheaval throughout this time, changing possession between various states for centuries before finally getting fed up and building a nation, and empire, of their own. You may have heard someone say something like “Amsterdam is sinking into the ocean,” and it is, as it naturally should. The low countries are a man made area built upon an ages old swamp which, without human intervention, would naturally be little more than water and the occasional hydrophilic plants. There was an old saying, “God made the Earth, but the Dutch made Holland.”
>>
>>1813723
>The advantage to polders was two fold- not only did you get access to rich land which had never been touched, but out of necessity from water diversion you also got superior and highly functional irrigation. Anyone with a polder had access to top quality irrigation from manual stations, if you had the resources to construct a polder that is. This practice became even more effective when coupled with another fantastic middle age invention- three field rotation. Instead of half your land doing nothing all year, now it only required a third- and soon they discovered that third could be used for legumes, fixing nitrogen into the soil and boosting crop yeilds from half your land to virtually 100% of it!
>>
File: 1574-Venice-resized1-2000x1452.jpg (1MB, 2000x1452px) Image search: [Google]
1574-Venice-resized1-2000x1452.jpg
1MB, 2000x1452px
>>1813786
Some enterprising and forward thinking citizens started moving to this area near the Western Collapse, clinging to what little land was exposed above the sea. The “land” had been previously uninhabited and uncharted, with shallow rivers and confusing navigation which kept it safe from the catastrophe on the mainland. As the progenitor Venetians became entrenched, they invited dispossessed Romans to the lagoon, who set to work shoring up the land and over time quite literally building an island in late antiquity to escape tragedy. They decided Rome's chief failure was its switch to Empire, and established a Republic for merchants and guildsmen, vying for trade dominance for close to one thousand years before the unification of Italy.
>>
>>1813580
Hey OP, I liked your video, it was really interesting.

However, if you don't mind, I have a couple critiques that I think would increase your video quality:

- Instead of standing, try to sit down instead
- Try to just have your head and shoulders in the frame instead of your full upper body
- Keep your shirt buttoned up so that the audience isn't able to see your chest
- Incorporate more images, and perhaps introduce something more interactive (i.e. dry erase board)
- Additionally, aside from the maps, try to edit the video so that the images are in the corner of the frame, and add key notes to help the audience further comprehend the subject matter
- Add shortcuts to different time marks in the video when you're talking about certain subjects, since this video - among others - is quite long (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!)

Other than those few points, the video was really neat and you definitely have a knack for this sort of stuff since you're so well spoken. I hope these critiques help in the future!
>>
>>1813952
>>1813580

Also I forgot to mention something else that came to mind while watching your video

Try to consistently look directly in the camera while speaking
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.