[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should i be moral if it doesn't benefit me?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 1475730467264.jpg (70KB, 663x783px) Image search: [Google]
1475730467264.jpg
70KB, 663x783px
Why should i be moral if it doesn't benefit me?
>>
Because that is a will of God.
>>
>>1812909
It does benefit you. Because you are not an isolated island, and consequences for actions always result down the line.

This line of thinking is the internal justification for people who make major fuck ups and don't benefit themselves well.
>>
>>1812916

2011 tier bait
>>
>>1812916
no
>>
>>1812909
You shouldn't, anyone who says otherwise is just meming you. Especially this guy >>1812916
>>
>>1812917
If i can be immoral and get away with it, why should i care?
>>
>>1812909
Stop confusing "moral" with "being good".
Moral choices are something humans are fated to make all the time.

Why being good? Because this is the ONLY thing you can want. All you want is good, or what you perceive as good.
>>
>>1812926
Because you won't get away with it. You were more likely to get away with it in the past, but now we have the internet and everyone has a reputation to keep.

You can only be immoral to yourself in the quiet isolation of your own home.

Outside there is no way you can do whatever edgy shit you're thinking of without going at the end friendless and in hiding for the next 5 or more years, crying in your bed you fucked up your life.
>>
>>1812928
What if something i perceive as good and useful for my well-being is harmful for the rest of the people?
>>1812934
Keeping a reputation is literally lying in order to continue your mischiefs more efficiently, and it's very useful
>>
>>1812956
>Keeping a reputation is literally lying in order to continue your mischiefs more efficiently, and it's very useful

You didn't read what I said. I said the edgy shit gets out, it leaks out. In fact you would make it worse by lying.

What you're suggesting ironically doesn't benefit you in the slightest
>>
>>1812966
m8 politicians fuck kids and do all kinds of fucked up shit, no one bats an eye
>>
>>1812934
Then what about the inverse: why be "good" in cases where society punishes you for it?
>>
>>1812975
You aren't a politician and you don't have that level of influence.

What you're going to do is get yourself doxxed, humiliated, and called out every time you come in the public eye, further damaging yourself and limiting your oppurtunities and chances, forcing you into a hermit lifestyle.

There is no light at the end of that tunnel.

In the past neighbor could have been a complete asshole in private and everyone just shook it off or didn't know. Now it is totally different and you are asking yourself to be seriously psychologically fucked with, and forced into damaging isolation.

This doesn't benefit you. Being edgy doesn't benefit you at all. Don't listen to the part that wants the easy way, it's going to fuck you up the hardest.
>>
>>1812989
>: why be "good" in cases where society punishes you for it?

Because you're going to regret the punishment. Everyone says being in solitary is easy as fuck, but then when people are in solitary they're scratching at the wall begging to be released.

The same goes for people stuck being shut ins because of their own actions. You have months and months to go over how you fucked up, and the life opportunities you missed and will never get back.
>>
>>1812991
Jesus Christ you act as society is made of full blown moral puritans who fuck you up for the slightest thing.

People today are hedonistic and less caring than ever before, everyone drinks, does drugs, fucks whoever pleases, no one gives a shit
>>
>>1813007
>Jesus Christ you act as society is made of full blown moral puritans who fuck you up for the slightest thing.

The internet is. Have you been anywhere near the internet for the past four years? You can be ruined for the slightest shit. The less power you have the less power you have to shave it all off.

Everyone laughs at you. We are in a state of play where the internet has become a politically active mega Encyclopedia Dramatica from 2008.

>People today are hedonistic and less caring than ever before

This should worry you because you're going to get fucked over and its in everyones interest not to fuck with pariahs.

>everyone drinks, does drugs, fucks whoever pleases, no one gives a shit

I think you need to get out more because this doesn't mean there aren't serious limits. If you want to do drugs, have sex, and drink, that's all fine and dandy .

Manipulate people or abuse people and now you're going to get seriously fucked up.
>>
>>1812909
Because it benefits you psychologically; doing good rather than feeling good contributes to eudaimonic happiness it leads to a greater net positive. Hedonism and selfishness is an infinite mountain that gets harder and harder to climb, while the only reason you climb it is because you don't have the innate satisfaction and peace of eudaimonia so you try to compensate with fleeting physical pleasure.
>>
>>1813021
>>1812997
You sound like you've been fucked over in the past and now project your trauma
>>
>>1813054
Even if that were true, wouldn't you heed the advice?

Do you really think you can get away saying nigger to your friend in public, when he can just tell someone else "hey man, this dude can't stop saying nigger", who then relays it to the next person, until finally it blows up in your face.

The worse the social crime, the worst you're going to get torn to shreds by one political wing or the other, sometimes both.

You aren't acting in your own self interest, you're acting against it. You just have really poor foresight and judgement.
>>
>>1813054
t. sigmund freud
>>
>>1813069
So what did you do, called someone a nigger?
>>
>>1813082
No I actually didn't do anything at all I'm giving you solid advice on not being a fuck up. Before you do anything, take time to think of the consequences, mull over it for a bit. Then work.

Life is strategy, not blind self interest.

Simply, if you enjoy being happy, acting in your own self interest violently and brashly will steal it, crush it, spit it, laugh at it, and possibly get you fired from your job.

I don't know how old you are, but please take the time to just vent your inner demons semi-anonymously here and not in public.

Than again, this isn't even anonymous. People can pick up your typing style and your use of words, and trace it back to who you are publically by say twitter or tumblr or facebook. Sometimes people you don't even know.

Vigilance and intelligence is better than self interest. We no longer live in a time where what you're asking for is possible.
>>
So far all of the answers except for the first meme one are along the line of "well it actually DOES benefit you," which is a fair point, but it's a dodge that doesn't really answer the question. What the OP is asking I'm pretty sure is if there's any reason not to behave immorally when it's genuinely in your own self-interest to do so.
>>
>>1812909

Virtue is its own reward.
>>
>>1813099
Because it's always in your self-interest to behave morally, even if you could get away with it. Doing immoral things negatively psychologically affects you. Sure, if you do it long enough you'll stop having a conscience, but at that point you're going to be a criminal compensating for their lack of happiness through drugs or something else. All humans are born with a very powerful conscience and violating that has consequences for your happiness.
>>
>>1812909
*teleports behind you*
>>
>>1812956
>What if something i perceive as good and useful for my well-being is harmful for the rest of the people?
You are percieving things wrong.
>>
I'VE
BECOME SO NUMB
>>
>>1813092
I've done things that are not legal
Internet people tried to fuck me over and doxx me, which was also very simple as I never had any sense of privacy or regard for my personal info
nothing came out of it, and the actual friends I hang out with didn't care in the slightest about the illegal shit I did
I rest my case that people like you are paranoid and have seen too many CIA and Matrix-like movies/series
>>
File: seccturk.jpg (34KB, 443x380px) Image search: [Google]
seccturk.jpg
34KB, 443x380px
>>1812909
To give your subjects false hope.
>>
>>1814908
Link to your lolcows thread pls
>>
>>1815044
I don't follow
>>
>>1812909
>should

You "shouldn't' do anything but follow your primitive instincts. We're mammals with a conscience, not deities
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.