[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is Machiavellian virtú?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7573.jpg (23KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7573.jpg
23KB, 240x300px
What is Machiavellian virtú?
>>
File: makaveli.jpg (526KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
makaveli.jpg
526KB, 1280x960px
To earn the respect of ones homies while staying true to yo hood.
>>
>>1812539

Values which, while not necessarily being useful for a private citizen in his own life, are useful to have in a body politic for the state or other political entity..
>>
>>1812585
>>1812539

I just want to tack on that the concept can (and frequently is) applied to the head of state in addition to just the citizenry.

So to give an example, being an accomplished liar and being able to deceive other people are not usually considered virtues in the personal realm. In the political realm of state interaction however, it can be very, very useful.
>>
>>1812585
>>1812608

I was unaware that it could be applied to the citizenry.

What are the feature of his virtú. I know that it's civic virtue, but it confuses the hell out of me.
>>
>>1812653

I'm not really sure how to make it any simpler. Virtú is any quality which in either the leader or the people would lead to political success. You can't really draw up a list that would stand the test of the ages, because different values and skills mean different things at different times.

Back in AD 600, it would be a great virtú for a tribal chief to be a good horseback rider and skilled with a lance and a blade. Power division is still very much about your own personal prowess and protecting people under you.

Nowadays? Not so much, and not only have the weapons changed, but nobody gives a shit if the president, prime minister, or whatever else the head of state is calling himself is good with a rifle, that's not what they do.

Modern politicians are far more administrators than they were in Machiavelli's day; I would argue that for a present day executive, virtú are traits that primarily help you deal with administrative crises, organization, a good mastery of how to get things through bureaucracies, at least a basic grasp of economic theory.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.