[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is moors the proper term

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Moors-in-Spain.jpg (193KB, 980x1112px) Image search: [Google]
Moors-in-Spain.jpg
193KB, 980x1112px
A professor in my class asked what the group who had occupied spain pre unification of ferdinand and isabella and i said moors. One student took offense to this term, and called me a racist. I was under the impression that moors was the actual term to refer to them, am i wrong?
>>
The spanish use the term in a pejorative way
Why are you so microagressive
>>
"Moor" is an umbrella term that those people themselves rejected. It's as vague and undefined as lumping all of the Crusader forces under the label of "Franks".

That being said, the student who took offense is thin skinned, and should be ignored.
>>
>>1812085
Is it seriously a slur?
>>
>>1812088
Ahh thanks. So i was way too broad.
>>
>>1812093
It is, calling a Spaniard or a Portuguese a Moor is seen as extremely rude and insulting. Northern African Muslims would also find the whole thing very confusing due to the inaccurate nature of the term.

>>1812098
No problem, if you want to refer to the occupiers of Andalusia, simply them Northern African Arabs and Berbers. After a certain time period, it becomes appropriate to simply call them Andalusians too, denoting the widespread admixture between Arabs, Berbers, and the local Hispanic population.
>>
>>1812093
Is it a slur to call a european a frank?
>>
>>1812151
I'm American, but i am gonna guess yes.
>>1812136
I'll have to write down those terms, might come in handy on a future essay.
>>
>>1812151
Not at all, Europeans are all 2nd rate offshoots of French people t b h
>>
>>1812063
In Portugal, it wouldn't be considered racist to refer to ancient muslims of north african origin as "moors", but it would be to refer to other muslims like so. Moorish damsels are part of some regional folklore, also.

Also, despite we calling them all "moors", the actual elites in charge of muslim Iberia shifted. They were largely Arabs and converted native aristocrats at first - this was relatively lax period when Jews could be high-ranking clerks and Christians just paid a tax instead of doing military service-, and they got displaced by the Berbers who made up most of the conquering force right from the start who then went turbo-fundie.

PS: Dispite being relatively liberal, the Umayyads were sort of dicks to non-arabs specially Berbers. These guys still had to pay special taxes despite converting.
>>
>>1812168
>I'm American, but i am gonna guess yes.
Not really, it isn't really insulting, it's more absurd and archaic than anything.

Calling Spaniards or Hispanics "Moors" is to deny them their "Europeanicity", why is which it might be insulting to them. I suppose the average NA Muslim, when called "Moor" or "Saracen", would react the same way a European would react if called "Frank", essentially he'd shrug and think nothing of it.
>>
It's Moops!
>>
>>1812185
>In Portugal, it wouldn't be considered racist to refer to ancient muslims of north african origin as "moors"

Nice lie, we call them moors and in school you only reefer to them as moors, no other name.
>>
>>1812171
I wish i was french desu
>>
>>1812290
This desu
>>
File: CLeedCCWsAAMm6x.jpg (64KB, 600x298px) Image search: [Google]
CLeedCCWsAAMm6x.jpg
64KB, 600x298px
>>1812063

>moorsinspain.jpg

This is how they looked like actually. It's a painting depicting the Nasrid kings.

Also, the word moor has several connotations in Spanish and one of them is just being Muslim. That's why Muslims in Philippines call themselves Frente Moro.
>>
>>1812063
It's not inherently a racist term, but it's a massively broad and stupid term regardless. It has no real ground in ethnicity or specific culture. It literally just means "those muzzies down south." Everyone from Basques, to Sicilians, to Libyans could be a Moor as long as they were Muslim.
>>
>>1812390
Did you even read that quote or the OP?
>>
>>1812063

It's a period that covers about 800 years, so there's quite a lot of people involved you know.

It all began in 711, when an army leaded by Musa crossed the strait and defeated Rodrigo in the battle of Guadalete, which virtually send the Visigothic Kingdom collapsing right away.

This first wave was composed of 2 distinct forces: one with syrians leaded by Musa, and one with berbers leaded by Tariq. Musa was the overall commander and Tariq was his cuck. Some years later most of the Ummayads leaders were cucked in their home Damascus except one that managed to escape the killing and arrived to Spain, with his supporters, establishing the Ummayad dinasty of Al Andalus, first as an Emirate, later as a Caliphate. The Caliphate ended in early XI.

The second wave and third wave were Almoravids (late XI) and Almohads (late XII). Both were Northafrican Empires that cucked the local muslim kingdoms of Al Andalus. The first ones managed to dominate Al-Andalus for about a century. The second ones, for a few years, as after cucking the muslim kingdoms they were in turn, almost immediately, massively cucked by the christian kingdoms in early XIII, leaving only Granada as muslim.
>>
>>1812290
underrated
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.