[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between a tribe and a city state?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
What is the difference between a tribe and a city state?
>>
>>1811342
Concret.
>>
>>1811342
A city state is a city.
>>
File: Black-Huns.jpg (1MB, 1575x2113px) Image search: [Google]
Black-Huns.jpg
1MB, 1575x2113px
tribes move

cities stay
>>
>>1811358
no
>>
File: terk.jpg (23KB, 252x276px) Image search: [Google]
terk.jpg
23KB, 252x276px
>>1811366
>finns
come on now son, everyone knows the finno-ugric people migrated their from the uralic mountains
>>
>>1811394
And then settled down and remained as tribes for a thousand years.
>>
File: keitty.jpg (54KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
keitty.jpg
54KB, 600x593px
>>1811409
after moving

unlike a city
>>
>>1811412
wow stop posting any time
>>
File: Boxer Codex-108.jpg (159KB, 450x632px) Image search: [Google]
Boxer Codex-108.jpg
159KB, 450x632px
>>1811358
Nope.jpg.

Precolonial Flips lived in what could be considered tribal societies but were an agrarian settled lot.
>>
File: keity.jpg (39KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
keity.jpg
39KB, 600x593px
>>1811419
?
>>
A tribe can run a city state

The Romans and Greeks were early examples, as well as the primitive Chinese and Aryans of India

Over time tribes get blended into one larger ethnic group
>>
File: keitte.jpg (71KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
keitte.jpg
71KB, 600x593px
>>1811421
>Ancient peoples of the Philippines, being descendants of the balangay-borne Austronesian migrants from Maritime Southeast Asia,[6] were known for their navigational skills.
?
>>
>>1811342
A city state has organized policies and government whereas a tribe is much more lax yet stable in this respect.
Tribe is an agglomeration of peoples who can all live together or live apart, while a city state is confined to a city, a single city.
You could argue a region is a city and therefore a tribe (living in a region) is a city state, but I don't see that as being useful.
>>
>>1811412
Yeah and then they stopped. So they didn't move anymore.
>>
File: koffir.jpg (25KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
koffir.jpg
25KB, 250x201px
>>1811447
after moving

unlike a city
>>
>>1811461
Yes, which would make the correct statement "tribes moved" instead of "move".
>>
File: Longboat Fleet.jpg (1016KB, 3300x2192px) Image search: [Google]
Longboat Fleet.jpg
1016KB, 3300x2192px
>>1811436
Yes. They migrated from Mainland Southeast Asia. Then many settled in fishing/farming/trading communities along the coasts & rivers of the archipelago.

Also you can be good in seamanship while being settled. Trading, fishing, going to war, and then coming home.
>>
There's no such thing as a "tribe," really. It's just what we call nations we want to diminish.
>>
File: display_image.php.jpg (224KB, 1032x1400px) Image search: [Google]
display_image.php.jpg
224KB, 1032x1400px
ok
>>
>>1811557
>>1811515
>>
tribes are bound by kinship. cities are bound by polities.

>>1811358
there are tribes that don't move.
>>
tribe = group of people
city = settlement
>>
>>1811342
City states are civilized.
Tribes are primitive.
>>
>interesting topic
>ruined by the ever present roach shit posting
Why don't people just filter him already? He makes it easy for you.
>>
>>1811342
Memes. Only a city state of sufficient size would be able to develop their own memes.
>>
>>1811342

Sometimes they're synonym but a tribe can just be a family of people you belong to with similar genetic or family origins, which is much smaller than a city. While a city state is a cosmopolitan where many people can mix together interact and trade. Sort of the multiculturalism idea until everyone went home.
>>
>>1811412
Where do you think the Greeks came from? Indo-europeans moved in.
>>
>>1811358
>>1811394
>>1811412
>>1811425
>>1811436
>>1811461
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>1814562
We're the one making 4chan living
isn't it our choice to make it anonymous or not ?
>>
>>1811441
I'm actually gonna go ahead and put my vote here
>>
>>1811342
I guess the overall level of development(cultural, technological, political) plays a big part in the equation.
>>
>>1811342
>what is the difference between an ethnic group and a republic?
>>
>>1811342
>What is the difference between a tribe and a city state?

Semantics, scale, time period, etc.
Define both before we can point the difference.
>>
>>1811342
One is an extended family / ethnic group while the other is a form of government. Faggot.
>>
>>1814567
This. Tripfags have always added some flavor to the boards. I see no reason to hate them.
>>
>>1811342
the city part you fucking dip
>>
>>1814562
You are even more fucking obnoxious than the roach tripfag. Stop shitting out your copypasta every time some mildly annoying turk makes a post.
>>
Asabiyyah
>>
>>1811342
Tribes are nomadic, city states are settled in an area. In at tribe there are no laws as long as you dont piss off people.
>>
>>1811342
A city state is when multiple tribes and clans unite in a certain urbanized region under some charter or agreement to provide for common law and security against others. A tribe is more united by its personal ties and networks between clans rather than a shared, common entity like a charter or a republic.
>>
>>1817538
Tribes do have oral law though in many cases and many tribes are settled. They may move if needed due to pressure.
>>
>>1811557
GAULED
>>
Greek-context of a city-state is just having part of the settlement walled, and therefor, fixated. Towns and villages could easily be fixated and partially fortified, but they often moved and shifted to whatever the land provided best to build their homes on, on the given circumstances. There were a bunch of small cities-states that only had a few thousand inhabitants, while Sparta (the actual settlement) is was just an unfortified town that happened to have way more (probably 50-60,000 inhabitants). Typically, villages were just small, completely unfortified settlements (often areas where farmers (or farmer) has a bunch of his farm laborers live at, near his fields) which community was limited in it's diversity workers.
Meanwhile, towns were often larger, partially fortified or had defenses installed because of their economic significance and bigger populace. They usually consolidated to a specific industry (ports, mines, lumber) and had various tradesmen (although often tied to said specific industry they're geared to) in them.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.