[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't understand how there was a time in which rock music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 15

File: harrison_beatle.jpg (17KB, 340x276px) Image search: [Google]
harrison_beatle.jpg
17KB, 340x276px
I can't understand how there was a time in which rock music was popular. Today most normalfags listen to rap/edm, and people who listen to rock music like The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, etc, are mostly middle-class, smart and educated.

It blows my mind that music like that was considered normalfag music like today is rap/edm, could that mean that everyone back then was middle-class, smart and educated?
>>
>I can't understand how there was a time in which rock music was popular

Me neither

dreadful music
>>
There was a time where people actually played musical instruments.

Now they just press a button on a machine and dance around singing to computerized sounds.
>>
>>>/youtubecomments/
>>
>>1810564
you are overrating average pop rock bands
yellow submarine is not smarter than edm
>>
Born in Le Wrong Generation: The Thread
Commercial music was just as bad then as it is now.
>>
>>1810640
>>1810640
>>1810640
>>1810640
>>1810640
>>1810640
>>
>>1810668
false, you can't compare Bohemian Rhapsody with something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6mDSHAfa4M
>>
>>1810681
you're right; it's better
>>
>>1810681
Bohemian Rapsody is arena rock. Basically dance music for people to whom "dancing" is jumping and waving your arms around.

Queen is to rock what ABBA is to pop.
>>
>>1810681
Queen were notorious sellouts.
>>
this is some next level "I was only pretending to be retarded" shit
>>
>listening to any music at all

Why? Why waste time listening to fucking sounds?

Christ Almighty.
>>
>God tier
Classical, Baroque, Romantic, pre-70's Jazz, Techno

>Great tier
Eurobeat, House, Blues

>Good tier
Country, Folk, Progressive Rock

>awful tier
Metal, Pop, Rock
>>
>normalfags listen to rap
Where? In the US? In my country rap is for the urban underclass,
>>
>>1810723
(You)
>>
>>1810723
>>God tier
>Techno
>>Great tier
>Eurobeat

NOPE

Any shit that is done without real musical instruments is fucking total shit.

>listening to a machine try to make music

Please kill yourself now.
>>
>>1810564
>I can't understand how people in the past had different tastes than now
Why not?
>>
>>1811290
Alright grandpa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBGNlTPgQII
>>
File: 178.png (253KB, 600x374px) Image search: [Google]
178.png
253KB, 600x374px
Idk either my man
>>
>>1811448
>le ebin robot voice
kek, people in the '70s actually thought this was cool.
>>
File: yo_aleksi0606in_ca.jpg (99KB, 768x820px) Image search: [Google]
yo_aleksi0606in_ca.jpg
99KB, 768x820px
>baaaw why do normies listen to shit music? I was born in le wrong generation :(
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UBmUX74aME0

I still maintain that Close to the Edge is the best song of all time.
>>
>>1811290
lol listen to some stockhausen kid
>>
Only pretentious fuckwads care about rating musical genres.
>>
>>1811471
Do you have the one with volga boatmen?

I forgot with what the comparison was being made.
>>
>>1811471
Spiritual miracle lyrical individual.

Music is like 4chan. You have to stick around and wait for something really amazing to happen, something that will withstand the test of time. Music has legendary songs, we have legendary threads. However, for the most part, it's shit. It's like some kid coming here from Reddit because he thinks it's all like the screencaps he sees, but it's just pointless drivel 99.9% of the time. Same way with music. It's the logic the "wrong generation" kids have. The music they listen to has been strained out by time. The shit from back then has been left behind and, for the most part, quality music remains. More and more music will disappear from those decades over the next decades that only the best, or most iconic, songs will remain, like Tchaikovsky or Beethoven's most popular pieces.

Tl;dr: 4chan and music were never good.
>>
>>1811634
>It's the logic the "wrong generation" kids have. The music they listen to has been strained out by time. The shit from back then has been left behind and, for the most part, quality music remains.
I don't consider myself born in le wrong generation or anything but I can pretty much pull any random song out of the top 10 from about 1963-73 and find it enjoyable whereas doing the same for the '90s (the decade I grew up in) usually makes me want to vomit. So for me it's not a matter of only remembering what's stood the test of time, I just really like the musical zeitgeist of that period, even the songs that were kind of shitty or generic.
>>
File: lHvIF16.jpg (137KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lHvIF16.jpg
137KB, 1280x720px
>>1811290
>Any shit that is done without real musical instruments is fucking total shit.
>>
>God tier

Nine inch nails, Depeche Mode, classical music

>Shit tier

Everything else
Prove me wrong
>>
>>1811721
There are more bad random songs now, because anyone can create music for free and entry levels are relatively low.
>>
>>1811789
>Nine inch nails, Depeche Mode
how's being thirteen?

>classical music
clearly throwing that in to make your shit taste seem better.
>>
>>1810564
>>>/mu/
>>
>>1811854
Liking a band who's scored three, about to be 5, movies and won awards for two makes me 13? Not only that, but from with teeth onward NIN has evolved perfectly with the ages, and so has Depeche mode to a lesser extent. I don't understand why liking two genre defining bands that have matured very well makes it a "13 yr old" thing.
>>
>>1811818
entry levels were already retardedly low. Everyone and their dick owns a guitar.

Now, like in the past, most of the pop songs you hear on the radio were written by professional hit-song writers, tin pan alley fucks in the past and swedish fucks for some reason now. There was a brief period in the 60's and 70's where people wrote their own songs, but they were still shit because radio is shit, because plebs have shit taste.
>>
>>1811556
Yes is great, but I love me some King Crimson. This has got to be one of Prog Rock's greatest masterpieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0o4nD3QFs
>>
>>1811290
you visit /his/ and you don't know about the most widespread instrument in the history of musical instruments. That musical instrument has been present in almost all cultures over the world.
See this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r2oCLSjpXg

The instrument is called Jaw Harp. The oldest instrument of mankind does the same music that our comuters in modern day.

I quess we have come a full circle.
>>
>>1811290
progressive synth music would make Bach jizz his pants you uneducated fuckwit
>>
>>1810564
99% of rap is shit
99% of pop is shit
99% of rock is shit
99% of classical is shit
don't let anyone tell you otherwise
>>
>>1811471
lel. if you have to cherry pick that hard your point probably wasnt worth making in the first part.

>shame on me for replying to obvious bait.
>>
>>1812140
*place, not part.
>>
File: 1475816473715.gif (938KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1475816473715.gif
938KB, 500x281px
this thread sucks.

>m-muh instruments!
I've been playing guitar for over a decade and have no problem with enjoying some rock or other instrument-based forms of music. However, I recognize basing music around instruments alone as being horrifically limited in terms of variety of sound you're able to compose with compared to electronic music. The thing is, in electronic music, you can utilize literally all sound, and compose outside of realtime more easily, whereas in instrumental performance, you're bound to an obscenely small amount of sounds and very limited options for expressing them. Electronic music is a platform through which the possibilities are limitless, and stuff nerds are doing in their basement is a thousand times more interesting and intellectually stimulating than guys learning to use a cool looking soundmaker and singing about bitches and money and shit.

The reason rock is declining is because it's a limited genre with a limited, thoroughly explored sound. The only interesting things you are hearing in rock these days are prog-rock groups who make moderate to heavy use of synthesizers anyway. Rock is dying because it's all been tried and done, not because of a narrowing "intelligent" middle class. It's gotten boring.
>>
>>1810564
Several reasons:

The gap between social classes in general was larger. The uneducated were more isolated from the rest of society, rural poors, ghetto dwellers, the industrial proletariat kept to their own communities, they were less exposed to mass culture and mass culture was less influenced by them. Most of mass media of course was in the hands of educated urban elites who were biased towards their own taste and interests. Back in the '60s it was much harder to cater to the masses due to the fact that 1. culture was less uniformed (many self-contained communities), 2. it was much harder to survey mass opinions due to technological limitations, lack of infrastructure, lower literacy rate etc.. 3. poor people were poorer then now, they had less disposable income to buy music etc.

Gradually, due to the spread of telecommunication, urbanization, advancement in infrastructures and especially the internet, culture "democratized", which of course led to its dumbing down.

That and also, the '60s also had a lot of really shitty music too, we just don't remember them. Much of country music for example was utter garbage, just as bad as modern top100 pop music, but was insanely popular for decades, it's just that Billy Joe Rusty from Bumfuck, Arizona never became national phenomena because of the reasons mentioned above.
>>
>>1810564
What are you having trouble understanding?
Tastes change through the ages man. Rock and roll was the hip young thing once too.
>>
>>1810564
>>1812232
Btw The Beatles isn't even that high quality, most of their music, except for their later stuff is fairly simple. Bands like Deep Purple are more "intellectual", but even back then they never had an audience comparable to The Beatles.

Also, classic rock music was already part of mass culture. Classical music is objectively the highest form of music and were listened to by the top 1 percent when they were created. Almost all culture was smarter when only the elites had access to it. Usually, the more people like something, the shittier it's going to be (although there is a lot of crap in nieche circles as well).
>>
>>1811789
you're not even wrong, Trent Reznor is literally the Mozart of our time
>>
File: fedora lighter.jpg (78KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
fedora lighter.jpg
78KB, 640x533px
>>1812318
> Classical music is objectively the highest form of music
>Usually, the more people like something, the shittier it's going to be
>>
>>1812338

Patrician music is music of considerable intellectual finesse and technical considerations. The fact that intellectuals gravitate towards it is explained because it's more intellectually stimulating, more patrician. it's not a coincidence AT ALL.

It's music that only the utterly select intelligentsia fully comprehends and appreciates. It's like high philosophy or high mathematics. There is pedestrian mathematics (the mathematics that engineers use) and there is pedestrian philosophy (the philosphy plebeians like english majors know). A pure mathematician, obviously a patrician, gravitates towards highly stimulating, advanced and abstract mathematics.

Classical music is so evidently superior to all other kinds of music, yet we keep lowering the standards when we talk about other types of music, to avoid the uncomfortable situation where the butt rock dude or the druggy EDM boy gets anal pained when they are told the great masters are better than their shitty hedonistic hero.

Classical music is so evidently superior to all other kinds of music, yet we keep lowering the standards when we talk about other types of music, to avoid the uncomfortable situation where the butt rock dude or the druggy EDM boy gets anal pained when they are told the great masters are better than their shitty hedonistic hero.
>>
>>1812195
>muh sound
Timbre is a tiny part of music. If it weren't you wouldn't be able to play the same song across multiple instruments.
>>
>>1812338
Instead of white guilt, in the music world there is "classical" guilt. We keep lowering the standards for other kinds of music to compensate and preserve our dream of marxist culturalism. Of perfect musical relativism. Guess what? It isn't true and the compositional talent and imagination displayed, which is all that counts in the end when we have to say what is worth being saved and what not, is infinitely superior in classical music than in any other form of music.
>>
>>1812356
> music
> intellectually stimulating
Only if it is something like Xenakis where you need fucking brain to understand what it is all about. Classic was just the XVIII century Pop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZazYFchLRI
>>
>>1812363
What standards? The people only hold high value for classical meme music because of how hyped the whole thing is and so they could throw spoon feed names like Mozart or Bach to come up as a pseudo intellectual of some kind.
>>
File: fedora pertwee.gif (2MB, 360x288px) Image search: [Google]
fedora pertwee.gif
2MB, 360x288px
>>1812356
Do you have any proof that intellectuals in this century prefer classical music over rock music? Because in my personal experience that's rarely the case.

The rest of your post is just empty masturbation.
>>
File: born in le wrong generation.png (320KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
born in le wrong generation.png
320KB, 596x628px
>>1810564
Hey guise, Beatles RULE AMIRITE! :))))))
>>
File: jacob cuck.jpg (6KB, 273x340px) Image search: [Google]
jacob cuck.jpg
6KB, 273x340px
>>1810723
>no Trouveres
>no Renaissance polyphony
>no modern minimalism

watch out, we've got a pleb over here...
>>
>>1810636
>Now they just press a button on a machine and dance around singing to computerized sounds
People probably said the exact same thing when the piano was invented
>>
File: tumblr_mx4r0kPAyO1rhs603o1_1280.gif (231KB, 627x864px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mx4r0kPAyO1rhs603o1_1280.gif
231KB, 627x864px
>>1812360
>timbre is a tiny part of music

'no'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IaqqCjBW4g
>>
fukc, abort abort!!!!!!!
>>
> classic """music"""
The only real sound is this one, all other are cheap knock offs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpxN2VXPMLc
>>
>>1812372
Neat experimental exercise but it's not music.
>>
what an embarrassing thread
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (834KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
834KB, 3000x2000px
>>1812557
>1400BC

bunch of modernist crap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2WvI3_ECQM
>>
>>1812521
Yes.
>>
>>1812140
The point of the image is that you can always cherrypick like that when it comes to popular music. You can find tons of chart topping material in every decade that's extremely vapid because pop music is supposed to be vapid.
>>
>>1810564
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.
>>
>>1812363
>Instead of white guilt, in the music world there is "classical" guilt.

>poltard "opinions"

>It isn't true and the compositional talent and imagination displayed, which is all that counts in the end when we have to say what is worth being saved and what not, is infinitely superior in classical music than in any other form of music.
Spot the retard who doesn't even listen to classical music.
>>
File: 1470836867786.jpg (29KB, 300x260px) Image search: [Google]
1470836867786.jpg
29KB, 300x260px
>>1810723
>slamming subjective opinions into an objective fact template
>>
>>1810723
>country
>good
>>
>>1812601
wew, nostalgia'd hard
>>
File: 1471375454039.png (2MB, 954x1398px) Image search: [Google]
1471375454039.png
2MB, 954x1398px
this is universally objectively right
>>
>>1812195
>The reason rock is declining is because it's a limited genre with a limited, thoroughly explored sound
I'm probably the biggest rock fan ITT and I agree

Even Led Zeppelin, kings of the "bitches and shit" music also reached heights of progressive rock, metal, and lyrics based on mythological substance. It begins and ends with them, and everyone else with a guitar, bass, drummer, and singer has just been doing different versions of it

some anon mentioned it already ITT but Nine Inch Nails is legitimately one of the greatest bands of all time and Trent Reznor is a genius, because his entire philosophy behind music is that "It doesn't have to sound like Led Zeppelin"

show me another song that sounds like this, I'll wait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrDbzhw7JOo
>>
>>1810636
>>1810681
>>1811290
>>1812318
REEEEEEE REDDIT GET OUT
>>1812601
WHY CAN'T I HAVE SEX WITH 12 YEAR OLDS
>>
>>1812073
HURR DURR ALL MUSIC SUCKS
Come on dude. There's plenty of great music in just about any genre.
>>
>>1810564
The original popularity of rock as simple as white kids getting introduced to high-energy black music which is fun to dance to.
>>
File: kingcrimson.jpg (149KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
kingcrimson.jpg
149KB, 1024x1024px
>>1810723
>Prog rock
>anything but God Tier
>>
>>1810636
>his machine has buttons
Lmaoing at that granpa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImWuxHbQCw
All the cool machines have sensor screens.
>>
>this whole thread
wew
>>
>>1810640
THIS
H
I
S
>>
File: jeff beck-jan hammer.jpg (28KB, 850x573px) Image search: [Google]
jeff beck-jan hammer.jpg
28KB, 850x573px
So many children on this board…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZUYrQFvkc
>>
>>1812336
He really is
>>
>>1814215
no, 1% of all music is good

most of it is bad. most of ALL media entertainment is bad.
>>
>>1811888
90's Grunge would like a word with you

was that the last time there was a major international music sensation that came about naturally?
>>
desu "The Beach Boys Love You" is the only listenable album humanity ever produced

prove me wrong boyos
>>
>>1810564
Rap was once seen as negro garbage but jews that control the music industry have slowly tried to make us accept this african jungle ranting as music to like and it worked now they have destroyed the american white music genre rock and roll and replace with soulless shitty pop music and of course nigger music.
>>
1910: music started
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.