[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worst Roman Emperor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: 220px-Gaius_Caesar_Caligula.jpg (17KB, 220x301px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Gaius_Caesar_Caligula.jpg
17KB, 220x301px
pic related
>>
File: julius.jpg (98KB, 450x592px) Image search: [Google]
julius.jpg
98KB, 450x592px
>>1808270
>>
File: Elagabalus.jpg (124KB, 470x479px) Image search: [Google]
Elagabalus.jpg
124KB, 470x479px
>>1808279
>>1808270
That's not Elagarglecock.
>>
>>1808288
w-was he a qt gril when he dressed up?
>>
File: Domitian.jpg (22KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Domitian.jpg
22KB, 300x400px
>>1808270

not that bad, just liked taking the piss

>>1808279

not an argument/imperator

>>1808288

just a wierd fag
>>
>>1808310
His statue has a mustache, you be the judge.
>>
>>1808313
>how do you want your statue pham
>just fuck my shit up
>>
>>1808318
that must be some later representation
they destroyed everyting related to him/her
>>
File: valentinian-iii.jpg (34KB, 600x788px) Image search: [Google]
valentinian-iii.jpg
34KB, 600x788px
You know, guys like Nero and Elagabalus get a lot of hate, but when you look at it their reigns were either not that bad for the empire (Nero) or short (Elagabalus).

I'm going with Valentinian III. Not only was he a bad emperor, doing nothing to stop the decline of the Western empire, he a long emperor, ruling with incompetence and/or ineffectiveness for 30 years, with his only noticeable moment literally murdering the one man keeping the empire together.
>>
>>1808270
That's not Constantine.
>>
Not really the worst, but Marcus Aurelius ruined the "appoint an emperor for his good qualities and not because hes your son" that previous Emperors did.
>>
I hate this fuck.
>>
>>1808396
But he was a solid statesman according to most accounts.
>>
File: 484127341.jpg (2MB, 1529x2209px) Image search: [Google]
484127341.jpg
2MB, 1529x2209px
How hard can it be to not conquer stuff? Honestly.
>>
He probably had some weakness, but only becuase his commanders wanted him to have it so they could assasinate him. If they wanted to raise him, hed have been fine.

>im still alive!!!

I cry everytime
>>
>>1808288
>ywn force feed him estrogen and use him as a toy.
>>
>>1808548
he was so young too, Estrogen would have worked wonders for him
>>
>>1808270
The answer is Commodus

>>1808522
How the fuck can you hate Alexander Severus? He was actually a capable emperor and set about righting the ship.
>>
>>1808270
Caligula is to emperors as The Room is to movies.
He is so hilariously awful that it's legendary.
He made his fucking horse a senator.
My nominee for worst emperor is Commodus. He literally started the decline of Rome
>>
>>1808595
>Commodus
Exactly.
Delusional, exhibitionist narcissist.

Caligula and Nero were mentalists, but Commodus was far worse.
>>
How do you go from THIS

>>1808396

To THIS

>>1808654
>>
>>1808313
domitian is a classic example of someone who was actually pretty decent as an emperor but simply had his legacy savaged by people he fucked over
>>
>>1808595
>>1808654
>Commodus
Always and forever. He ruined everything.
>>
>>1808654
Commodus was like a combination of Elliott Rodger and Chris-Chan. Histrionic idiot and a total autist at the same time.
>>
>be Constantine V
>next in line for Roman emperor
>shit self in holy water
>>
>>1808595
He was a good administrator but he was a coward. The Empire needed a strong military hand that he could not give
>>
>>1808654
>beleiving in slander history written by assasins.
>>
>>1810297
And so that makes him the WORST EMPEROR IN ROMAN HISTORY?

He wasn't a great general because he didn't have the time to become one, attempted to buy time get a better grasp of the situation and was then then victim of a chimp out.

That's hardly bad emperor material. He was able and had potential.
>>
>>1808654
Those are small apples.
>>
Im suprised Phokas hasn't been mentioned. He nearly single handedly reversed every success that Justinian and Maurice had, devolved the empire into near anarchy, persecuted thousands, and ceeded power to the western church.
Truly the worst.
>>
>>1808663
Marky made for an excellent emperor but a terrible father, he was probably too anxious to straighten out his faggot son and way too lenient on his absurd bullshit
>>
>>1808313
>Domitian
>bad

Go home pleb
>>
>>1810298
What slander?
you mean like dressing up in Hercules pajamas and fighting midgits or fighting in the arena with common slaves?
that sure would be embarrassing, specially if he portrayed himself publicly like th...
>>1808654
oh wait
>>
>>1811961
>Marky made for an excellent emperor but a terrible father, he was probably too anxious to straighten out his faggot son and way too lenient on his absurd bullshit

I read the opposite: he raised his sons in line with Stoic education and discipline, but the values didn't stick. So when Commodus gained full power he went to the opposite extreme.

Probably a oversimplification. The psychology of an old-school emperor is probably impossible to understand well. We have no modern parallels outside of mysteriosos like Kim Jong Un and maybe the late, great Uday Hussein to some extent.
>>
File: IMG_0305.jpg (644KB, 2225x1719px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0305.jpg
644KB, 2225x1719px
fuck this cunt
>>
>>1808396
Blame Vespasian for the precedent.
>>
Most of the barrack emperors could compete for the title of worst ever.
>Dude war is hell of a drug
>Fuck infrastructure dude lets hire more troops dude
>Dude lets increase soldier pay so they be more loyal and shit
>Dude we need more taxes to pay more troops
>Dude we are running out of people to send to the slaughter
>Dude I'm dead without achieving anything LOL it was worth ruining Rome to rule for two years though

Fucking awful lot all of them. Even megalomaniac emperors weren't as damaging.
>>
>ITTpeople unironically blaming great emperors like Constantine, Domitian or M.Aurelius

The worst enemy the empire had was the praetorian guard.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.