[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm reading up on the winter war on wiki and its essentially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0070.png (740B, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0070.png
740B, 275x183px
I'm reading up on the winter war on wiki and its essentially a David v Goliath narrative going on.

Anyone got any good stories?

I want to read more about Juutilainen's "Moroccan company" they sound badass!
>>
>>1805946
My great grandfather fought during both Winter War and Continuation War.
He didn't really talk about it, but during the wars he wrote daily in a diary.
It's mostly accounts like "6 men fell today, Russkies stopped bombing us for now." He also drew pictures in there.
The war (Winter War) itself was mostly trench warfare with more modern equipment.
Look up Mannerheim-line, it was Finland's main defence against Soviets.
Also, most of the soldiers sent here were poorly trained/equipped and not from Russia itself.
During Continuation War, Soviets mostly focused on fighting against Germany so Finland got pretty lucky in that regard. Also, Stalin had killed off lots of high ranking military officers before the war, so their tactics were lacking.
If you want some freaky stuff, google about cannibalism during the Winter War.
Some Soviet units were sent behind lines with poor rations and they ended up killing their comrades to not starve.
>>
File: concern.png (117KB, 462x325px) Image search: [Google]
concern.png
117KB, 462x325px
>>1806015
>Some Soviet units were sent behind lines with poor rations and they ended up killing their comrades to not starve.
is there a worse fate than to be born in russia?
>>
File: Flag_of_Finland.svg.png (2KB, 800x489px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
2KB, 800x489px
>>1805946

That's not the proper proportions or color of our flag. Incidentally that's what it should be imo. Our flag looks really lackluster and weak because of the fat cross and the blue not being deep enough.
>>
File: 3_1_7_sop.jpg (8KB, 266x160px) Image search: [Google]
3_1_7_sop.jpg
8KB, 266x160px
>>1806199
Bitch, the golden ration is where it is at.
>>
My grandfather was in Lappland during the Winter War and later a pilot in the Continuation War. I have no idea what missions he flew, I never really talked to him as he died when I was 6.
>>
>>1805946
There are no "good stories" about the winter war. It was a colossal fuckup by the soviets. They basically sent in people to die for no reason.

At least we tried to treat them decently by giving them a proper burial post-mortem.
>>
>>1806409

Do you know if he flew Brewsters and bf109s?
>>
>>1806433
He was in the FiAF, not the SS unit, but I don't think it was a Brewster.
>>
Nice little info bit: Soviet artillery bombardment in the Karelian isthmus was as intense as in the western front in WW1. Meanwhile finns barely had enough ammo to do some playful barrages with few shells a day.
>>
Lauri Törni - forms a death squad named after him in the continuation war, gets pissed when Finns surrender so joins the SS to fight the soviets, goes to prison at end of ww2 and escapes then gets pardoned, goes to USA and joins fucking special forces...
>>
>>1806640
Also gets movie made about him with John Wayne playing the role.
>>
>>1806640
Too bad he died in Vietnam
>>1805946
I'd check out The Winter War by William R Trotter. Covers every aspect of the war. Some good/ funny stories about it in it.
Only one I can remember properly is about a Russian P,O.W who was captured by the Finns. His story was that he was shopping for shoes for his wife in Murmansk (or some town nearby). When he left the shop a Party commisar or some shit grabbed him and asked what a fine example of a russian man was doing not fighting for his country and shipped him to the front.
He still had the shoes with him.

There are a good few people who were interesting to look up -obligitory white death mention
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.