[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do Protestants consider Ignatius of Antioch to be a heretic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: A42.jpg (274KB, 1185x1029px) Image search: [Google]
A42.jpg
274KB, 1185x1029px
Do Protestants consider Ignatius of Antioch to be a heretic?

From his Epistle to the Ephesians

>Wherefore it is fitting that you should run together in accordance with the will of your bishop, which thing also you do. For your justly renowned presbytery, worthy of God, is fitted as exactly to the bishop as the strings are to the harp.

> It is manifest, therefore, that we should look upon the bishop even as we would upon the Lord Himself. And indeed Onesimus himself greatly commends your good order in God, that you all live according to the truth, and that no sect has any dwelling-place among you. Nor, indeed, do you hearken to any one rather than to Jesus Christ speaking in truth.
>>
>>1804463
They'd interpret the 'Bishop' as the individual believer.
>>
>>1804489
>Let us be careful, then, not to set ourselves in opposition to the bishop, in order that we may be subject to God.
ibid.

?
>>
>>1804463
>Do Protestants consider Ignatius of Antioch to be a heretic?

Actually yes. Specifically this guy, yes, many people do consider him to be a heretic.
>>
>>1804695
What about Clement?
>>
File: 1416127328213.png (446KB, 1329x772px) Image search: [Google]
1416127328213.png
446KB, 1329x772px
>>1804463
>>
>>1804463
No
In fact his epistle to the Romans completely refutes Papalism
>>
>>1804740
Why do Catholics have the tendency to read medieval and modern categories into the early church?
>>
>>1804463
>Jews and muslims
>heretical
Thats not what that word means, my shitposting friend
>>
>>1805484
shutup you bluepilled cuck

just wait till the crusade happens, heretic scum like you will be fucking crying whil I'm out figthintg
>>
>>1805349
The Orthodox have a similar conception of the Eucharist as the Catholics, and they split before it became a major topic of Medieval debate.
>>
>>1804463
Protestants and Orthodox are both Heretics t bh fagmilia Ducale. Can't wait for the Pope to call a crusade against them
>>
File: kek.jpg (188KB, 842x714px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
188KB, 842x714px
>>1806932
>>
where were you when you realized mormonism was the only redpilled christian religion?
>>
>>1806958
When I was watching Glenn Beck and was moved to tears. I also was deeply impressed by Mr. Romney's words on Trump.
>>
File: 09f.jpg (29KB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
09f.jpg
29KB, 300x212px
>>1806958

They cut&paste masonic rituals.

>Redpilled
>>
>>1804740
last I check the parts about the gnostics were added tot he text latter, because they were not at issue during Ignatius's lifetime
>>
>>1807494
Simon Magus was the first major Gnostic
>>
>>1808804
No serious academic believes that, at least none that are not conservative Christians
>>
>>1808897
How come?
>>
>>1808906
Because its nonsensical, because their is no evidence of a widespread Gnostic movement (distinct from the rest of Christianity) before the 2nd century. Because Gnosticism is so full of Greek influence the idea it was founded by a Jew is absurd.
>>
It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I who am the all. From me did the all come forth, and unto me did the all extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.
>>
>>1808804
Paul mentions gnostics in the churches
>>
>>1808928
You're saying because there isn't a ton of surviving Gnostic texts?

There were plenty of Jews heavily influenced by Greek ideas. Philo, for instance.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.